Sit Bones

Speeding

What to do?

Im in the process of preparing for 2013 Epic which means longer hours in the saddle. You know that thing that is so much smaller than my couch. My problem is my sit bones that start screaming at me by hour 3 and 4.

My sit bones have been measured and i have been using a 143mm specialized phenom test saddle for two weeks. My bibs are assos and giordana and i weigh 99kg if that makes a difference. This saturday i did 5:30 hours in the saddle and as tired as i was their was times that i just had to stand and pedal as my bones was screaming. Now on a epic stage that will be a problem!????????

Is it common or do i need special saddle?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But seriously. That saddle is about as good as you are going to get. More time in the saddle will quickly sort that problem out.

As long as you don't experience other problems you will be fine.

Spent about 5 hours a day in the saddle this weekend. 2 different saddles and I was comfortable for most of it.

Edited by S.I.R Maxxis

What to do?

Im in the process of preparing for 2013 Epic which means longer hours in the saddle. You know that thing that is so much smaller than my couch. My problem is my sit bones that start screaming at me by hour 3 and 4.

My sit bones have been measured and i have been using a 143mm specialized phenom test saddle for two weeks. My bibs are assos and giordana and i weigh 99kg if that makes a difference. This saturday i did 5:30 hours in the saddle and as tired as i was their was times that i just had to stand and pedal as my bones was screaming. Now on a epic stage that will be a problem!

Is it common or do i need special saddle?

It's called HTFU.

A glass of water and a tablespoon of cement with some Eno's in the afternoon.

Brother Dangle is a hard man, so understand his position. I'm a bit more lenient so I'll say the Phenom might not be the answer if you are 99kg. It also depends for how long have you been going big hours? Typically everyone gets sore sitbones in the beginning (and we also need to be VERY careful about what we mean by sitbones). No doubt the cement and time will help but if you have been doing this for a month and still have tender bones, a softer saddle might help.

weighing 100 kgs is going to put some pressure on your behind. As you train three things will happen, 1 you will lose some weight, 2 your butt will toughen up and 3 your legs will get stronger and while pedalling your legs will support your weight more. These will all result in less pain.

It's called HTFU.

A glass of water and a tablespoon of cement with some Eno's in the afternoon.

Hahaha.........my Monday just got better!

Keep the comments coming. Firstly what does HTFU mean. I am hoping to lose some more weight but my bodyfat is already at 15% but i suppose another 6kg wil make a difference. As far as hours goes, i have been averaging at least 8 hours per week for last couple of months.