Recommend Me a Protein Shake

P.A.K.

Less Carbs, more Proteins. but I reckon go chat to your Weigh Less guidance counsellor. no use in messing up your weigh less eating plan, but also no use in your Weigh Less eating plan if it doesn't take your added training into account.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mix up a smoothy with some frozen banana, milk or yoghurt, berries, futalife for some carbs and add some whey protein. Cheaper and tastes far better than any of those premixed concoctions.

I can confirm from my own experience that protein is very important for recovery. As a vegetarian I was struggling a few years ago with recovery. Kept getting sick then I upped my protein by quite a lot and that sorted me out. Did put on a little muscle but at my advanced years that was a bonus

MusleTech 100% whey protein vanilla(so that you can mix with whatever)

incl a great Amino acid profile and tastes great.

After intense workout or brick training I go Half-Half on the muscletech Whey and 32Gi Recovery.

LOVE it!

Karma, bmc and Stumpjumper seems to know their stuff.

First off...

1.) when it comes to supps, you shouldn't look on the labels for nutritional value. Go with a trusted and well respected brand (don't be a sheep here). Some people say protein is protein but there is a very big difference in brands. If you buy good protein it gets absorbed in better ways, faster and more efficient. It doesn't get wasted, they also mix their powder with the other essential nutrients that goes along with protein and amino acids.

The amount of protein intake per day should be around 1.5g's per kg of body weight.

2.) Taste counts a lot. Buy something that tastes good or you won't drink it.

3.) Nothing beats a good diet. Yes supplements are over rated and yes they do work, but a good diet with all the foods and nutritional values you need in a day is much better than a bad diet with supplements (don't expect good results if you don't eat right).

4.) Rest. Over training is probably the number 1 cause for not performing other than not training.

5.) This is very important. Do not forget about a good multivitamin. It is the most overlooked supplement out there and very affordable.

On a budget:

- SSN whey protein (strawberry flavor is the tits)

- SSN L-Glutamine

For the rich:

- Optimum Nutrition whey protein (http://www.bodybuild...e/opt/whey.html)

- Optimum Nutrition Glutamine (http://www.bodybuild.../glutamine.html)

- Optimum Nutrition Mens multi vitamin (http://supplementrev...ptimum/opti-men)

http://www.regrowhair.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/optimum-100-whey-protein.jpg

http://www.gymlab.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/on-glutamine-front-b.jpg

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/images/main-optimen.jpg

Edited by wheelerdealer

My "recovery shake" is some whey protein (currently using 100% pure), maltodextrin, L glutamine, A bannana and a teaspoon of peanut butter along with some water and ice.

It tastes a little funky as the Whey is strawberry flavour, with the bannana and peanut butter but it does the job! whistling.gif whistling.gif whistling.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I am used to 32Gi Endure, which makes me somewhat biased to the 32Gi Recover option.

I will do some research http://1.1.1.2/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif Please keep the suggestions coming!

P.A.K.

Not here to convince you to use 32Gi, I would rather give you facts on the different proteins, ratios and then from there you can decide.

Firstly I would like to state up front that I am a nutrition expert and part of the 32Gi team, but what I am going to write below is just fact, and in no way here to persuade your decision, just being honest ;-).

There are various types of proteins on the market, the two main protein sources are vegetable or animal derivative based. Whey of course being an animal derivative is the most common and highly marketed, then you have the soya isolates, and other vegetable proteins the likes of pea protein , hemp and then albumin of course is another being another animal derivative. Casein & protein-peptides are also popular and will discuss this as well. I will start my focus on soya and whey the two that tend to cross paths mainly.

Whey protein's come in 2 main forms, whey isolate and whey concentrate. Isolate is the highest form of protein, is the most expensive, and easier on the digestive system then a whey concentrate. Concentrate is slightly lower in overall protein content, however is often blended in conjunction with a whey isolate to ensure that the price is market relevant. Some of the very high quality pure whey isolates I have tried are excellent but you pay through the roof for them. Whey isolate quality also can be measured by the amount of sodium content in them, some are quite high, the best are a lot lower, but you pay a lot of money. The best I have had come from the US.

On the soya side again the only soya I would go for is a pure isolate, which does not contain the sheath at all, which makes it +-90% pure protein. What are the main differences, between whey and soya, aside from the fact that the one is a animal derivative and the other a plant?

- Whey is a faster digesting protein

- Soya isolate digests at a slower rate

- Soya isolate is 100% absorbed

- Whey isolate is not 100% absorbed, its in the 90's but there are some left over.

- Soya isolate contains every single essential and non-essential amino acids

- Whey does not contain the entire amino acid profile so usually there will be additives in the mix.

The above is basic facts.

The big question now is when and who would use a soya isolate as opposed to a whey isolate. My personal opinion is the following:

Due to the nature of a whey isolate I advocate it to the body building or shaping communities. They are worried about weight and secondly they are not endurance athletes their focus is on muscle repair.

An endurance athlete which a cyclist falls into, has a few requirements for recovery.

1. Muscle Repair

2. Glycogen Replenishment

3. Energy level stabilization.

In order to satisfy the above, a recovery drink needs to have a carbohydrate/protein blend. The protein will assist with muscle recovery, the carbohydrate will assist with protein absorption as well as blood sugar stabilization and glycogen replenishment.

There are various ratios which I will get into shortly.

First lets discuss the soya whey issue. Whey is fast digesting, my issue with whey for an endurance athlete is great it digests quickly, however it leaves you feeling hungry very quickly afterwards, sometimes preventing energy levels stabilization and leading to excessive eating, which = weight gain.

I find with a soya isolate due to its slow digesting nature, its easier on the stomach and over and above that it keeps you feeling fuller for longer. There is no need to worry about whether the protein will be absorbed quick enough for usage for muscle tissue repair of course it will be used up, and the absorption rate is higher than whey. Now add carbohydrates to the mix, this is critical for glycogen replenishment, so yes an endurance athlete needs a level of sugar to be able to gain the benefit of post exercise carbohydrate consumption. The various ratios you can see in the market are the main standard being a 1:4 1 part protein to 4 parts carbohydrate, 1:7, 7:1, 1:2, 2:1 there are many variants and each has shown to have a benefit scientifically. I have an issue with a 1:4 ratio, I find that in this ratio generally, lets say there are 12-15grams of protein in a serving it means that the carbohydrate serving will be around 40-60grams, I find this to be excessive, and personally a weight gainer, as excessive eating still carries on. I like a lower ratio 1:3 or 1:2, which means you get a good protein ratio and a nice carb ratio which is not over the top. There are also carbohydrates and carbohydrates, maltodextrin is the most common mixed in, understand even though its considered to be a complex carbohydrate, don't be fooled as maltodextrin has a GI of around 135, which is a whopping spike, and it can lead to a dip in energy levels of course leading to hunger and excessive eating again. You want to try and consume a recovery drink that causes stability, and assists with recovery. If its the right blend for you then it will of course leave you feeling stable, keeping your energy levels stable so that you don't east excessively and get your glycogen levels back up before the next session.Hope this makes sense to you.

The cleaner the drink the happier I am, a lot of recovery drinks have many many additives thrown in from glutamine, to Arginine to Vit C etc. There is no need to consume all these additives on a daily basis post recovery. Glutamine can be added separately and only when needed, best is to cycle on and off over a 7-10 day period as you don't want your body to become dependent on these supplements, natural food is best and you can get decent levels of glutamine through natural food.

My take is keep it clean and simple, and as healthy as possible.

Need to run to a meeting so just some food for thought, will carry on later, you welcome to contact me if you want to discuss further, still a lot more to bring into this topic.

thanks

Mark

Thanks for all that info MDW, and all you other guys with helpful ideas.

Now I wonder, why can't I just buy whey and mix it with 32Gi to get a good protein/carb mix? That way you can decide your own ratio? Alternatively you can add l-glutamine if you find in necessary?

Thanks for all that info MDW, and all you other guys with helpful ideas.

Now I wonder, why can't I just buy whey and mix it with 32Gi to get a good protein/carb mix? That way you can decide your own ratio? Alternatively you can add l-glutamine if you find in necessary?

You would want a carbohydrate that provides a higher insulin spike than 32Gi :-). Also remember the type of carb and protein will determine the recovery periods energy levels. Anything that provides to low a insulin spike for immediately after a training session will not be very beneficial, if its too high the same.

I would suggest carnivore mass by Muscle Meds. It is the only beef protein on the market and so there is no bloating compared to whey or soy proteins and it naturally contains L-glutamine and creatine. It has a ratio of 1:2 protein to carbs and provides an insulen spike which is benificial for muscle recovery. It has worked the best for me and I have tried USN, SSN and Evox shakes whey protein shakes.

Very interesting MDW and as a vegetarian but not a vegan I am still interested in reducing my animal based nutrition sources so this whole soya isolate thing appeals to me.

Now you have been honest and upfront and have said you are in the 32GI team so on that basis what product do you reccomend from your stable and what if any pure protein supplement do you sell?

You must realise that you don't need supplements! Supplements are just that, supplements... You should rather resort to proper nutrition because supplements are something of convenience and should only be use it you are tight on time or aren't able to make food. You can't tell me that some powder of unknown origin and manufacturing processes is better than some scrambled eggs/greek style yogurt/chocolate milk... Personally, double thick greek style yogurt and milk are my go to foods and also a proper diet.

Very interesting MDW and as a vegetarian but not a vegan I am still interested in reducing my animal based nutrition sources so this whole soya isolate thing appeals to me.

Now you have been honest and upfront and have said you are in the 32GI team so on that basis what product do you reccomend from your stable and what if any pure protein supplement do you sell?

Just be careful because soya is genetically modified most of the time.