Energy drinks - change in taste/flavour while riding

scuzzy

Hi all

I am curios to know if there is anyone else out there that can tell me if they experience a change in the taste of their energy drinks, while doing long rides.

One example is PVM, I used it for about a year, did the Trans Baviaans with it as well as the Wines 2 Whales last year. One thing that always bugged me was that while doing long rides, it did not taste so nice anymore, I am talking 4 hour plus rides year. Reading some posts previously, it was suggested once that because it is more natural, no preservatives, that sort of thing will happen. I sort of accepted it at the time and thought, well, that is the healthy choice. This year I started looking around again, and decided to try Enduren. After speaking to the suppliers, they told me that there will be no change in taste, and it is very natural. I went out a bout a tub, used it for the last month, and, true to form, no change in taste.

On Friday it was time to stock up again, and I decided I will try Cadence, something I used in the past, but then shifted to PVM. I did my first long ride with Cadence on Satruday and, again, after 2.5 hours of riding, started using the second bottle, and there we go, we had a little offish taste. By the time I got home, I literally could not stomach it, even for a little recovery drink. I questioned this today, and it was suggested that it could be the fact that it tastes differently when cold vs when war, or, that the detergent in my water bottle changed the taste of the drink.

I do not want to go on a witch hunt with the manufacturers, but I would like to know if I am the only that experience this sort of problem, because then I need to rectify it and clean my bottles better, or something.

Could you guys please comment.

Solve your problems for once and all. Use 32Gi. No going off, no changing of taste during the ride, no bad taste afterwards, no headaches caused by changes in blood suger levels. Sustainable energy, etc, etc....

Some of the drinks will taste different due to the chemical change in ones mouth during the ride, very few drinks "frot"in a 6hr period unless they milk based or cream based.

I am a 32GI fan, came over from the USN Epic, as I could not stand the taste first off but on the bike never noticed it.

Several manufactures suggest mixing your bottles as close as possible to departure before a ride, and certainly not the night before unless it will be refrigerated. Deterioration of natural products is expected. 4 hours does seem too short a period before turning though.

As an experiment, try sniffing any unfinished drink/bottle the following day, especially if it's been left in the sun. Will make your eyes bleed.

Drink water. Your body will get used to it.

It's more important and beneficial to have a proper diet. Eat properly the night before and in the am and you will be fine on water. I used to bonk when I first started using water but have now adapted.

I know about the 32GI, and I've tried it before. Cannot really say anything bad about it, my training partner actually converted. However, from what I understand, reading about it on this forum, it does become a slight science when you use it. Because it is a low GI drink, anything that will cause you GI to spike, pretty much mess up the system, for me that means to really take not of what you eat before the ride, during the ride and even when you make a quick pit stop for coffee. Just a personal thing, but should maybe give it a try again.

no problem with 32GI, I will not use any USN soon again, that stuff just does not work with my body

Had the same experience....other drink makes me want to puke after a few hours, 32GI does not, and it keeps tasting pleasant enoughthumbup1.gif

if you drink USN Epic Pro Passionfruit the taste is consistent. bought mine a year ago and it still tastes like baby vomit.

Add: I actually don't know what baby vomit tastes like.

Edited by ibruegge

if you drink USN Epic Pro Passionfruit the taste consistent. bought mine a year ago and it still tastes like baby vomit.

laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png

I know about the 32GI, and I've tried it before. Cannot really say anything bad about it, my training partner actually converted. However, from what I understand, reading about it on this forum, it does become a slight science when you use it. Because it is a low GI drink, anything that will cause you GI to spike, pretty much mess up the system, for me that means to really take not of what you eat before the ride, during the ride and even when you make a quick pit stop for coffee. Just a personal thing, but should maybe give it a try again.

If you don't want to do the whole Low Gi thing then you can get 32Gi Accelerate which is a high Gi product but brings you "down" slower than other high Gi products.

Getting back to the original question though, are you guys saying that it is just me then that experience a difference in taste after 3 hours, taking into account that I only mix it before the ride and not the night before?

Nah not just you same thing with Pvm I wasn't sure whether its my imagination though. But nonetheless never bothered me that much still drinkable

Edited by Tjokkits

I use FIT. Tastes like hell before a ride. Sometimes mix their Beta Accelerator with it then it tastes like hell but with rotten eggs. Funny thing is as I ride it becomes more palatable. The harder I ride the better it tastes and eventually when I start bleeding from my eyes and nose it becomes neutral in taste.

I have tried other products, many other products, and find some become less palatable as I ride. I'm sure the product stays the same but as you ride it tastes different.