Cape Leopards continue to frequent Wines2Whales MTB Routes

Matt

According to Anita Meyer, CLT Boland Project, after their latest camera checking excursion in mid October it is clear that three Cape Leopards, Scott (BM12, Boland Male #12), Popeye (BM17, Boland Male #17) and Olive (BF14, Boland Female #14) have become regulars on the Wines2Whales routes. “Popeye (BM17, Boland Male #17) and Olive (BF14, Boland Female #14) have been spotted a number of times on the De Rust routes, while Scott (BM12, Boland Male #12) seems to be enjoying the Schapenberg trails. Thanks to the Wines2Whales cameras we have identified a new female that we would not otherwise have picked up on, and we also have new locations for known individuals. As Leopards are such wide-ranging animals, all locations identified by the cameras aid us in forming a rough idea of each individual’s home range. The cameras have also once again captured other animals in action such as large-spotted genet, small grey mongoose, porcupine, grysbok, duiker, honey badger and caracal,” says Meyer.

In September 2011 the organizers of the Contego Wines2Whales MTB Adventure and Race powered by Maserati showed their support of the CLT Boland Project by donating five digital camera traps to the project.

Information on the three leopards spotted on the Wines2Whales route:

ccs-2-0-11449000-1351507736.jpg

Scott (BM12, Boland Male #12) has been recorded over a very large area stretching from just north of Sir Lowry’s Pass, through the Steenbras Mountains and across the Kogelberg Biosphere reserve.

ccs-2-0-59325900-1351507737.jpg

Popeye (BM17, Boland Male #17) ranges quite extensively throughout Hottentots-Holland Nature Reserve and the Groenlandberg mountains and has previously been photographed near Houw Hoek Inn.

ccs-2-0-10070400-1351507734.jpg

Olive (BF14, Boland Female #14) has been recorded at three locations in the Groenlandberg Reserve within the dominant male BM17’s territory.

For more information on the Cape Leopard and the work of the CLT Boland Project, go to www.capeleopard.org.za and www.facebook.com/capeleopard.

Event Information:

Starting in the Wine lands of Somerset West, riders will cross through (and over) 13 wineries, 26 private farms, six mountains, historic roads and mountain passes, nature conservation areas (including the Kogelberg Biosphere) before finishing within sight of the famous whales of Hermanus!

CONTEGO WINES2WHALES MTB ADVENTURE: Friday, 2 November 2012 until Sunday, 4 November 2012

CONTEGO WINES2WHALES MTB RACE: Friday, 9 November 2012 until Sunday, 11 November 2012

Start Venue: Lourensford Estate, Somerset West

Race Village: Oak Valley Sports Field, Elgin (Western Cape)

Finish: Onrus Caravan Park, just outside of Hermanus (Western Cape)

Follow us on Twitter: @w2wmtb

Follow us on Facebook: Contego Wines2Whales

For more information on the Contego Wines2Whales MTB Adventure and Race powered by Maserati visit www.wines2whales.co.za

Click here to view the article

Will try catch one on my single speed this weekend. My rigid fork will give me the advantage. ;-)

It is wonderful to know that they are there, even though I know I have a much better chance to win the lotto than to ever see one. Perhaps that is exactly how it is supposed to be. If they were easy to find (think rhino) I'm sure mankind would have dispatched them a long time ago.

Amazing! It's always great to know that our sport supports worthy causes. There are a few in Jonkershoek too. Although I only found that out after I went for a solo night ride. I think they'd be more scared of the noisy behemoth bashing down the path though

did you guys here about the one above rooi els ? was seen just above the road.

Jip it walked over the "kuspad" infront of my grandfathers car while they were driving there.

The guy in charge of nature conservation in Lourensford says the while local cyclists often trigger the camera traps, occasionally the next photo a couple of minutes later will be of a leopard keeping an eye on the cyclists.

The guy in charge of nature conservation in Lourensford says the while local cyclists often trigger the camera traps, occasionally the next photo a couple of minutes later will be of a leopard keeping an eye on the cyclists.

eek.gif

I saw (3 weeks back in Lourensford) some animal spoor on one of the paths we were riding on....on closer inspection it looked like those of some baboons hauling ass....followed by what looked like deep spoor of a persuing leopard.....all etched in the muddy track...was quite cool to notice....not to mention the slithering spoor of what must have been a pretty large snake!!

All this is possible when you actually ride slowly and take notice of the environment around you!! No use to just fly around at 100km's /hr and miss out on what mother naure have to show you!!

Edited by Cassie

Will try catch one on my single speed this weekend. My rigid fork will give me the advantage. ;-)

How do you know someone rides a SS? They tell you ;)

I saw (3 weeks back in Lourensford) some animal spoor on one of the paths we were riding on....on closer inspection it looked like those of some baboons hauling ass....followed by what looked like deep spoor of a persuing leopard.....all etched in the muddy track...was quite cool to notice....not to mention the slithering spoor of what must have been a pretty large snake!!

All this is possible when you actually ride slowly and take notice of the environment around you!! No use to just fly around at 100km's /hr and miss out on what mother naure have to show you!!

hence you never ever race, you always ride :)

@ Velo, have not seen you on the bike for a while ..... and that lucky sod who works at Lourensford !

There was a story in the Ride Mag a few years ago about a cyclist being chased by a leopard in the Knysna forest.... makes you wonder how often you ride past an animal like that without noticing?

Always heard there are leopards in the Magaliesberg... has anyone ever seen one or caught one on a trigger camera?