Argus Group Dilema

JimFrase

If I have a prov seeding of A (was VA but I don't have a licence) but have not ridden a bike since the 2007 argus and probably will not be able to until the argus 2008 . Which group should I start in so I can wheelsuck along to a reasonable time in my untrained state, don't get taken down by an idiot Ouch and finish at a reasonable hour of the day.

I think A-E are out as I will not hang on at the hills.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You still have about 7 weeks so you should be able to get some legs for the Argus. I did the 04 argus with only 7 weeks training (after a 7 month total layof) and was fine in the H group. did about 3:20 or so.

Check last years times on winningtime. You should finish close to 3h00 if you start training TODAY. Think D should work. 

I reckon start in A and don't try too hard to hang on over Edinburgh Drive, then just use the other groups as they come past to help you through the rest of the ride.

But 7 weeks of training could get you into reasonable shape.

I don't think there is a chance of sub 3hrs if I start in A (or anywhere else). Once I am dropped I lose 5 minutes immediately plus if I finish with the leaders of the group behind they are usually about 2-3mins off the group infront so loosing your group means a 7-8 minute penalty. With VA and VB behind racing I will be less likely to hang with the surges so thats another couple of groups dropped so thats 20mins lost. F seems like the best bet I think.

I don't think there is a chance of sub 3hrs if I start in A (or anywhere else). Once I am dropped I lose 5 minutes immediately plus if I finish with the leaders of the group behind they are usually about 2-3mins off the group infront so loosing your group means a 7-8 minute penalty. With VA and VB behind racing I will be less likely to hang with the surges so thats another couple of groups dropped so thats 20mins lost. F seems like the best bet I think.

Hmmmmmm, I have a similar problem Jim, last year I rode VD but this year I didnt license and hardly did any of the big races except the 94.7 and I crashed.Big%20smile

I see my Argus seeding is "A" for this year but I am not really in shape at all, and after crashing out on Sunday again, I am not certain its gonna happen anyway - so I figure, I am gonna start back with the wifey in "G" and see what happens.!! 

Hope I can hold on.Big%20smile

I'd start with A. A few years ago I was in the same situation. A group dropped me within the first k, but I got to enjoy the cheering fans while B passed me. I think I had C group down hospital bend until Edinburgh Drive. Ended up spending a lot of time later with F, G and H. Managed 3:40 by doing that, and got to see lots of other cyclists :)

Most embarassing moment was me getting passed by a fat chick on an mtb wearing slipslops, going up Smits.

Yes, start A, get over Edinbrugh drive with front B, sit with B till you hit the hills after simonstown, Get C and D to pull you over Chappies and from suikerbossie, just jump in from who ever is coming from behind.

Without training, you should still go under 3h15 - 3h20

if we have good weather, if its raining with wind, not many is going under 3h.popeye2008-01-23 05:49:39

You should try to move down to B, Why?

Because

After the racing men (Giro), racing women, racing tandems, unconventionals and hand cycles, the order will be as follows:

A

VA (Vets 30-39)

VB (Vets 40-49)

VM (Masters 50+)

B,C,D,E,F etc

In case you need help deciding, your index is xyz. The cut-off for A is 13 and B is 15.5.

If you start in A the gaps will be bigger between the groups, more time on your own and they get unhappy with ppl messing with them. Secondly, they don't always race for time, but race for place.

If you start in B the groups are closer together and they all ride for time. it is an easier ride as the pace is more constant.

M 2c's

i rode last year after a break of 2 years. got a substitution and was placed in E but rode with a friend in PB. we still had about 20 rabbits that went from the gun. we then rode on our own and finished in 3.35. it was a pleasant ride and i was surprised that there was no need to dodge the slower riders as they all kept mostly to the left. we just hit a bit of a jam on the last bit of Smits and because we weren't going to "time" we just waited for a gap to open. so no matter were you ride there will always be the hardcore cyclists wanting to race. 

WW

I hope you are strong Wink

I'm also in H and need to get a good time LOL

Yippee...Yip, i'll be strong as an ox by then Big%20smileWink

I have one person to work with!!

...anymore around???

WW

I hope you are strong Wink

I'm also in H and need to get a good time LOL

Yippee...Yip' date=' i'll be strong as an ox by then Big%20smileWink

I have one person to work with!!

...anymore around???