Scron

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

Welcome to the hub.

For the Attakwas you need to do quite a bit of training, especially if you want to finish strong.

I would recommend the following:

• You need to train hills, steep ones as well as technical ones.
  • A few long rides of around 5-6 hours to get you accustomed to a long time in the saddle.
  • Condition your core - A weak core will make your ride uncomfortable towards the end.
  • Do not over train.
  • Make sure your bike and tyres are in prime condition.

It's an awesome endurance test, I want to ride it next year, just need to sort out a few things at work first before I can make my final decision.

Hi there,

Welcome to the hub.

For the Attakwas you need to do quite a bit of training, especially if you want to finish strong.

I would recommend the following:

• You need to train hills, steep ones as well as technical ones.
  • A few long rides of around 5-6 hours to get you accustomed to a long time in the saddle.
  • Condition your core - A weak core will make your ride uncomfortable towards the end.
  • Do not over train.
  • Make sure your bike and tyres are in prime condition.

It's an awesome endurance test, I want to ride it next year, just need to sort out a few things at work first before I can make my final decision.

Perfect, thanx for the feedback.

Living in the Garden Route there are no shortage of steep and technical climbs.

What about intervals?

Edited by Scron

Shoot yourself in both legs... and then cycle 120 kms.

Hahahaha Thanx

That does wonders for my confidence! eek.gif

Hahahaha Thanx

That does wonders for my confidence! eek.gif

To be honest, it's actually not that bad.

Train 12-15 hours a week.

Day of the event, start very, very slow, it will bite you in the @ss the last 50 k's.

ditto--on the slow start, take 20%off your normal pace for the first 30km once you get to the Spur stop some 70k into event the real vasbyt starts.

Great event ,I dont think intervals is as important as km in the seat and a couple of long days in the sun remember the temp can get crazy on race day.

Will be my first too, I can't wait, my plan after dc is to continue with the long rides, but just swap the road bike for the MTB & take it off road, on road on the the MTB is just as good as its sometimes impossible to get the long rides off road unless you do the same trail like x10 which is not a bad idea.

To be honest, it's actually not that bad.

Train 12-15 hours a week.

Day of the event, start very, very slow, it will bite you in the @ss the last 50 k's.

What he said...

I would do a bit of cross training as well as you are guaranteed to push your bike at places. That climb out of WP 2 is a real biatch. Even the top guys run that one (faster to trail run it with your bike on your back than ride it, I suspect).

On the day don't waste too much time at the water points. All you do is stop, fill up bottles / camelback, eat, take one of the wet towels and put it on your neck, rinse your face and fore arms, re apply sunscreen, clean your sunglasses, empty your pockets if you have energy bar wrappers etc, stretch your back, neck and arms and off you go again. Stopping for too long means its much tougher to get going again.