ATTAKWAS training?

Scron

What he said...

I would do a bit of cross training as well as you are guaranteed to push your bike at places. That climb out of WP 2 is a real biatch. Even the top guys run that one (faster to trail run it with your bike on your back than ride it, I suspect).

On the day don't waste too much time at the water points. All you do is stop, fill up bottles / camelback, eat, take one of the wet towels and put it on your neck, rinse your face and fore arms, re apply sunscreen, clean your sunglasses, empty your pockets if you have energy bar wrappers etc, stretch your back, neck and arms and off you go again. Stopping for too long means its much tougher to get going again.

Which year did you do ?

I must say, the water tables are amazing, the help is overwhelming.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be my first too, I can't wait, my plan after dc is to continue with the long rides, but just swap the road bike for the MTB & take it off road, on road on the the MTB is just as good as its sometimes impossible to get the long rides off road unless you do the same trail like x10 which is not a bad idea.

Hey cool, had no idea you bit the bullet

Shoot yourself in both legs... and then cycle 120 kms.

Very Tarantino...

Chirp of the Week!

What about intervals?

Intervals have their place in normal training to make you stronger. I do 4 minutes hard, 2.5 minutes recovery x 5 on a regular basis (not more than once a week). I'm riding stronger than ever.

Of course, intervals on their own won't give you the endurance for the Attakwas so LSD rides on weekends. It also helps a lot if you can ride technical terrain, especially technical uphills.

Which year did you do ?

I must say, the water tables are amazing, the help is overwhelming.

2009, 2010, 2011

all depends what time you want

It was my first race and first long ride ever, i manage to do it in cutof time on a shitty 26'' with sore knees

After riding for some time i will aim for a great time next year. not sure if sub 7or sub 8 but i can really say that rolling hills at the end kills you if you are not fit

For me i will ride montagu 2 times a week for 3 weeks and do a 50km flatout route door to door along the mountain with rolling hills and climbs

Ditto for learning to push and carry your bike - even on some of those "rolling" hills after the spur burger stop.

Include lots of climbing on your endurance training rides and make sure you're able to refuel while riding (it's a long day in the saddle and if you can't keep your energy stores up then it will hurt)

Use the first Attakwas as a learning curve and break the ride into legs between each water point otherwise it's mentally daunting.

The last downhill and the feeling when you cross the finish line makes the effort worthwhile.

Loving all the feedback guys really helps! Sounds daunting but like Repunzel said thinks crossing the finish makes it all worth while!

Question.

What is the cut-off time for silver ?

I am keen to go back, have a bone to pick with this race.

I was over geared the last time, and will certainly .

Saw my other post was liked by Brian Fantana, he must like my hat.

Question.

What is the cut-off time for silver ?

I am keen to go back, have a bone to pick with this race.

I was over geared the last time, and will certainly .

Saw my other post was liked by Brian Fantana, he must like my hat.

Did the route change over the last 2-3 years ? I see quite a difference in winning times.

Did the route change over the last 2-3 years ? I see quite a difference in winning times.

I really don't know.

I rode the Atta on my rigid single speed and would really love to see if I can improve on my last one.

I do believe their has been 1 or 2 small changes.