ATTAKWAS training?

Scron

Did the route change over the last 2-3 years ? I see quite a difference in winning times.

Yes the route did change, they cut a 15k loop off the race, and people started riding 29ers happy.png

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the route did change, they cut a 15k loop off the race, and people started riding 29ers happy.png

I take deep offense to that ,I was on a 29'er when the route was 15 k's longer eek.gif thumbup1.gif

I really don't know.

I rode the Atta on my rigid single speed and would really love to see if I can improve on my last one.

I do believe their has been 1 or 2 small changes.

Hectic race to SS - respect.

Yes the route did change, they cut a 15k loop off the race, and people started riding 29ers http://1.1.1.2/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/happy.png

Please separate the issues... the first is why the times changed and the second is why the world changed http://1.1.1.2/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/happy.png

Thanks mellow, I was around the 6:30 mark and missed the silver for that year http://1.1.1.5/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/sad.png

Seems like you've got a bone to pick with the Atta. No idea how one train on SS for this one.

Will probably also line up for 2013. Definitely not on SS

Seems like you've got a bone to pick with the Atta. No idea how one train on SS for this one.

Will probably also line up for 2013. Definitely not on SS

I might also give it a bash. But with a minimum of 30 gears :-)

2010 I was on a 26 and my first ATTA last year 29ER same route and nearly a hour faster.Yes I might have bee a lttle bit fitter but the 29er does make the last 50k go faster.

Hoping to beat 7hrs this year.

DON'T over train.....

DON'T over train.....

DON'T over train.....

DON'T over train.....

A good route in WC to train for Atta would be Bottelary MTB + Loop in Jonkerhook.

Duration: +/- 6HRS

Distance: 108.648 km

Elevation Gain: 2374 m

Thanks mellow, I was around the 6:30 mark and missed the silver for that year sad.png

Dangle me and you have that same bone to pick. I tried this year but messed it up real bad.

Dangle me and you have that same bone to pick. I tried this year but messed it up real bad.

I will ride with you again any day bud thumbup1.gif

I have to agree with the interval training. During the week do 10/20 minute intervals to build power. Long rides should be easy else you won’t recover in time for quality interval training during the week. If your long rides are too hard you're body won’t get time to recover and grow stronger. You will be in a constant tired state and go into a downward spiral.

And the weeks leading up to the race you must REMEMBER to save it for the race. Don’t burn you're matches in the weeks leading up to the race.

NUTRITION. On your long rides you need to get your nutrition sorted. I use Hammer Perpetuem and clean water from separate bottle. I know USN also do Epic Pro endurance fuel. I find that when I have to eat solid foods I tend to delay eating because it’s a hassle and dangerous on a MTB. Liquid food is convenient. You don’t want to bonk in the Atta.

I did it this year, and went out way too fast, as usual , bonked at 50km, but managed to recover after 80km, and finished just over 6:30, on rigid SS. I would take a lighter gear than the 32x18 I had, had to walk a lot to recover. We had good weather and the waterpoints were great.

1x9 and front suspension would be lekker. Great event. Ride lots and train for some portage.

I might also give it a bash. But with a minimum of 30 gears :-)

I'm also keen

PS: Might just have to ask Dangle for a battle plan

• 3 weeks later...

I need some help guys, sitting with a cracked arm and hip that's not lekker, also inside of my right leg sometimes hurt when walking, I took a tumble Saturday before last. I started yesterday on the IDT, but couldn't manage for too long, since there is only 8 weeks of training left and I am on about 30% fitness. Do you recommend I do intervals on the trainer till I can get back on the bike 2nd/3rd week in Dec, or should I just kiss my Atta entry good bye?