General bunch riding conduct

Garfield2010

This weekend I did the OFM. It was truly an awesome race even though have a few issues with some of the guys in our "C" bunch.

Rant on:-

Some okes are really erratic. They swerve without warning and when they decide to suddenly jump out of the saddle beware cause they will move 2m sideways within 2 seconds.

Then you also get those idiots that freak out about people holding there lines etc.

As far as I am concerned as long as you are predictable then it is fine. Dont make sudden movements. It is impossible to hold your line cause the oke in front is not holding his line etc etc

And FFS you dont need to show everyone in the bunch your new waterbottle. Just have a sip and put it back whilst NOT looking down. It is really not that difficult. Yesterday it was almost as the okes were declaring the bunch a feeding/neutral zone cause he wants to have a drink.

Also it is the riders in the front's responsibility to warn guys at the back about potholes etc.

This however doesnt mean shouting and swerving on the N1 cause a car is parked 2 metres of the side the road. WTF was that all about.

Then lastly chill the F out guys. Everytime we caught a loner from the bunch upfront there was movemnent and attacks. Everytime we went around a corner for some reason everyone gets all worked up sprinting and aggressive and dangerous.

Oh and if you are a stray dog from a front bunch that gets picked up, fall in at the back and work your way up. It is "*** styl" to force yourself into fourth wheel without even looking around.

Oh and thanks to the 5 guys who sprinted away for their own little victory after being dragged up to the finish line by myself for the last 20km's.

Rant off:-

Still it was an awesome race!!

Maybe I am getting too old for bunch riding... maybe its the triathlon racing that has made me weak....

You've described almost every bunch in almost every race ever.

This. Seen this in the A/B bunches in the Argus.... heck, even in the 94.7 elite bunch the guy next to me pushed me into one of the camera motorbikes. You get used to it and learn to anticipate other people's stupidity and to avoid them :P

These are the guys I refer to as "funriders". But last time I got kakked on for pointing out what you just pointed out.

These are the guys I refer to as "funriders". But last time I got kakked on for pointing out what you just pointed out.

Ja well soon enough someone will blast me for my comment. Wait and see......

That is precisely why I prefer triathlons. That, and the fact that I don't seem to keep up with bunches these days! I take a moral victory knowing that I time trial entire races.

Ja well soon enough someone will blast me for my comment. Wait and see......

Probably.

...and it will probably be by the same guys that swerve and take people out and cause general mayhem in groups.

Probably.

...and it will probably be by the same guys that swerve and take people out and cause general mayhem in groups.

Ja or the okes that swings his waterbottles around knocking out other cyclists before taking a drink.

This weekend I did the OFM. It was truly an awesome race even though have a few issues with some of the guys in our "C" bunch.

Rant on:-

Some okes are really erratic. They swerve without warning and when they decide to suddenly jump out of the saddle beware cause they will move 2m sideways within 2 seconds.

Then you also get those idiots that freak out about people holding there lines etc.

As far as I am concerned as long as you are predictable then it is fine. Dont make sudden movements. It is impossible to hold your line cause the oke in front is not holding his line etc etc

And FFS you dont need to show everyone in the bunch your new waterbottle. Just have a sip and put it back whilst NOT looking down. It is really not that difficult. Yesterday it was almost as the okes were declaring the bunch a feeding/neutral zone cause he wants to have a drink.

Also it is the riders in the front's responsibility to warn guys at the back about potholes etc.

This however doesnt mean shouting and swerving on the N1 cause a car is parked 2 metres of the side the road. WTF was that all about.

Then lastly chill the F out guys. Everytime we caught a loner from the bunch upfront there was movemnent and attacks. Everytime we went around a corner for some reason everyone gets all worked up sprinting and aggressive and dangerous.

Oh and if you are a stray dog from a front bunch that gets picked up, fall in at the back and work your way up. It is "*** styl" to force yourself into fourth wheel without even looking around.

Oh and thanks to the 5 guys who sprinted away for their own little victory after being dragged up to the finish line by myself for the last 20km's.

Rant off:-

Still it was an awesome race!!

Maybe I am getting too old for bunch riding... maybe its the triathlon racing that has made me weak....

Haha,there were two vets(VA) we picked up on the Maselspoort road going to airport traffic circle.They just forced their way into the first quarter of our bunch right infront of me.After a kilometer they decided that the pace is too high and just started decreasing their pace opening a gap between the rest of the group and the front of our group.Past them on the left hand side as it was safe to do so, and had to sprint to close the gap to the leaders again.And man did they shout at me for passing them on the left hand side!!

I experienced the opposite in our "D" bunch. Everybody worked well together (although we have to thank the MediClinic guys for doing the majority of the work) and rode responsibly.

I experienced the opposite in our "D" bunch. Everybody worked well together (although we have to thank the MediClinic guys for doing the majority of the work) and rode responsibly.

Yes you do get those chaps that are not "amped up", that just wanna get on with racing in a considerate manner.

thumbup1.gif thumbup1.gif MediClinic

Haha,there were two vets(VA) we picked up on the Maselspoort road going to airport traffic circle.They just forced their way into the first quarter of our bunch right infront of me.After a kilometer they decided that the pace is too high and just started decreasing their pace opening a gap between the rest of the group and the front of our group.Past them on the left hand side as it was safe to do so, and had to sprint to close the gap to the leaders again.And man did they shout at me for passing them on the left hand side!!

Ja dude I saw that!!!! The guy wore an Orange racing shirt!!!!

Thanks for bringing this up.

I was about to post my own rant on a leech who clung to our back wheel for 30km. I ignored him he rode into my foot the first time. When it happened a second time I warned him I'm going to dish out pain if he takes out my derailleur. And it's not like it was tight bunch riding. We was the only one on our outside.

If you want to sit slip and be a lazy ass at least have the decency not to tick off the workhorse.angry.png

My favourite part of road cycling is working together in a small group (~12 people). I have more fun time trialling the full distance than worrying about my safety with 100 riders around me.

I learned my lesson yesterday. Next time I'm not fast enough to get to the front of my group from the start I will fall back immediately and wait for a smaller group to form. My time might be slower but it will be much more enjoyable.