How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

So what do you do when you have an oldish Giant XTC 29 frame complete with seat post and seat lying around?

Well - you build a MonsterCross bike of course.

For those not in the know - a MonsterCross bike is the bastard hybrid of a CycloCross bike and a 29er MTB.

I've decided to use the Giant frame, XLite Carbon fork and Pro Lite wheels as the base then add Shimano CX gearing and STIs, Pro Lite track drop bars, Conti CX tyres and Avid BB7 mechanical discs.

Here's if the full bike in prebuild conditons :-)

Will post some more as the build progresses...

Hopefully this will help build the interest in CX and such in SA.

post-2412-0-46287100-1352272820_thumb.jpg

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love to see some Hope v-twins on this.

I considered them but I like simple, reliable bikes and the idea of having to hang a mechanical to hydraulic converter under my bars just didn't appeal.

Plus the BB7's got great reviews and only cost me ~R1400 for calipers and rotors.

It's been coming for a while - I've had silly ideas like making a road bike from a Niner frame (yes I am a Ninerd), building a full on CX bike or just smacking together a bike from all the leftovers I have lying around.

Some years ago I did the Sun City race on my Niner with road wheels (road rims built onto mtb hubs with discs). Good fun and the roadies hate you :-)

Since 29er went main stream I've always wanted to take advantage of 29 being identical in size to 700c...finally - here is the result.

Bro , hurry go home and start building ..........................now w00t.gif

The build will start tonight...all I'm waiting for are the CX tyres. Damn CRC send my order in 3 seperate boxes.

Build should finish on Sunday at Mr. Shimano's house - he has some choice bits to add along with some sneaky knowledge on running 105 stis with a long cage XTR derailleur!

105 stis with a long cage XTR derailleur!

Looks interestingthumbup1.gif

What brakes are you using with the STI shifters?

The build will start tonight...all I'm waiting for are the CX tyres. Damn CRC send my order in 3 seperate boxes.

Build should finish on Sunday at Mr. Shimano's house - he has some choice bits to add along with some sneaky knowledge on running 105 stis with a long cage XTR derailleur!

Nice , what else does Mr Shimano have in storage devil.gif Iron needs to build a new SS up ..,he he he

All the best , cant wait to meet her .

Looks interestingthumbup1.gif

What brakes are you using with the STI shifters?

Avid BB7 mechanicals. I have some concerns about reach versus clearance between disc&rotor but there is only one way to find out :-)

@Iron - I'll take photos and send them. His garage makes my bike room look like one of those sad dropie shops that sell wheelbarrows, paraffin and bicycles...