How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

Sir, are we witnessing a Rapha Festive 500 machine?

SWAMBO permitting yes I suppose  :whistling:

What are the requisites and dates again?

Edited by NotSoBigBen

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Been pondering a Monster Cross.  

But I want to keep my 1x11 setup with 11-42T at the back. 

Long story in short. 

What road shifter/brake assembly will correctly shift a Shimano XT M8000 rear derailleur? 

(Perhaps this have been covered so pardon me for asking again.)

I know buying a SRAM Force CX1 drive train will be bomb, but costs makes it a no-go option.

Is my reasoning wrong?

1.) Shimano Road different pull ration than Shimano MTB

(unless you match  10 or 11 speed road with old  9-speed derailleur (before Dyna-Sys) or something like that. 

2.) SRAM road and SRAM MTB pull ratio the same. So that will work. 

3.) Is Shimano MTB and SRAM MTB  pull ratio the same? I think so.

Here is possibly my biggest assumption and flaw. 

4.) So then a SRAM 11-Speed Road Shifter will  correctly shift a Shimano 11-Speed XT rear derailleur? Something like a SRAM Apex shifters on this Salsa Fargo Build.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/fargo/2017_fargo_rival_27.5plus

5.) And then one can buy "megafters" that you fit to the derailleur to make the pull ratios the same. 

http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate/

Is Nr. 4 a possible option? 

Advice from those who have been down this road? 

Edited by IH8MUD

So after Googling and reading  this article (of which I understand only half) . .

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/

It seems if my schemes of mixing and matching will not work.

Seem if I want to keep 1x11, with the MTB cassette at the back, some sort of SRAM group-set is the only way to go.   

Edited by IH8MUD

• 6 months later...

Just to confirm, 9spd Xt medium cage RD with a 10spd MTB cassette, and Shimano STI shifters work perfectly together. My new bike is shifting like a dream!

• 8 months later...

Through a complicated 'warranty' process I now have this carbon frame which will replace the Merida alu frame on my Monstercross .... maybe the Captain will be happier :whistling:

But demmit I had done all that colour coding so the red outer and red/white seat will have to go :eek:

attachicon.gif20150225_124534.jpg

So 3 years later and I find that I hardly ride a Hardtail MTB any more but still had this bike ... So decided to do it just for the hell of it

80mm fork and some fresh rubber, lets see how it goes [emoji41]9a177d1fc26ceefebea9a34d8b538378.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Lekker Oom. Now just get Justin to organize you a Lefty...

Justin doesn't own the shop anymore ... My son Byron does [emoji41]

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Nice! Been wanting to put some 29" wheels with slicks on a 26" frame like that for a long time.

26" with slicks makes it look like a kids bike  But 700c wheels and slicks are about the same size as a 26" with a good pair of knobblies.

That's true, it does somehow look a lot more in proportion even to my 29" monstercross bikes

Nice! Been wanting to put some 29" wheels with slicks on a 26" frame like that for a long time.

26" with slicks makes it look like a kids bike But 700c wheels and slicks are about the same size as a 26" with a good pair of knobblies.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

That's true, it does somehow look a lot more in proportion even to my 29" monstercross bikes

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

What size tyres?