How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Better?c7f083455882b8a6126802ee605b3c4c.jpg9c98c30b413e8367f61bde5f1b3f2357.jpg

have an alloy bar machined to go in the place of the shock , it's probably toast any way and seals prolly don't exist 

you'll drop around 300 grams if not more 

• 1 month later...

Hi all, i have been toying with building my own Monstercross bike for a few weeks now and have eagerly looked to this page for some inspiration and tips. 

I have one question that i would appreciate guidance on: 

What is the cheapest way to use brifters (designed to work with cable operated brakes) with hydraulic disc brakes?

Hi all, i have been toying with building my own Monstercross bike for a few weeks now and have eagerly looked to this page for some inspiration and tips. 

What is the cheapest way to use brifters (designed to work with cable operated brakes) with hydraulic disc brakes?

Spend the cash and buy actual hyrdaulic road shifters. You'll thank me later.

Now that gravel bikes are a thing and cyclcocross bikes are getting more popular there is a variety of middle quality hydraulic road shifters. My memory is fuzzy but RS685 comes to mind...

• 3 months later...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Juin-Tech-R1-Hybrid-Hydraulic-Road-Disc-Brake-Set-Post-160mm-Road-Gravel-CX/202431744308?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=502460531595&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have these on 2 bikes. They are awesome. Light, brake really well and will very cheaply transfer across bikes as cable length doesn't matter as it's not hydraulic.

They are honestly really really good.

Built a few over the years:

Bridgestone MB3 with 700c Conversion

Momsen STR 1x10 

But my favorite is this one which I currently ride;  its a bit like an old Landy Defender (without the oil leak)

1992 Trek 830 CroMo Frame found in a dumpster at local LBS

Arbitrary steel fork from another bike shop

Race Face Prodigy 34T

XTR Brakes with Travel Agents to work with STI

XTR Wheel set

105 9 sp STI

LX RD

Vredestein T/L

Rapide Frontier 440 bars

Rapide Saddle

Genuine go anywhere ability and a great touring bike.  

post-4615-0-79811600-1574163277_thumb.jpg