How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

A little lockdown build of mine. Gen 1 Momsen STR with a bit of a sprayjob. Cyclocross fork sorted the geometry out quite nicely but yes... I am quite lanky and that seatpost still needs to go up high  :). Oh, don't need a seatpost clamp as the alloy seems well and truly bonded to the steel frame. Steel weight weenie, now there's an oxymoron!

This may have been covered before, but does anyone have experience of those cable to hydraulic disk brake calipers? I'm trying to work out a reasonable (less than R8000) hydraulic braking solution). Any advice would be appreciated.

Nice!

I am looking for a similar solution for cable to hydraulic solution.

I've seen a TRP Parabox system working, but can't find any online (in stock).

https://bikerumor.com/2012/01/03/trp-parabox-hydraulic-disc-brake-converter-unboxed-weighed-changes-coming/

There seems to be a caliper option available though.

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-brakes-and-pads/trp-hy-rd-flat-mount-disc-brake-caliper-no-rotor/11588417.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=ZAR&shippingcountry=ZA&shoppingpid=COMPO10_030518_&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuJz3BRDTARIsAMg-HxUh__Bk9JPR3GTjQVNILIg0UCf17VNKPb902NepYpmsFIQU8AGu66saAo4XEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A little lockdown build of mine. Gen 1 Momsen STR with a bit of a sprayjob. Cyclocross fork sorted the geometry out quite nicely but yes... I am quite lanky and that seatpost still needs to go up high  :). Oh, don't need a seatpost clamp as the alloy seems well and truly bonded to the steel frame. Steel weight weenie, now there's an oxymoron!

This may have been covered before, but does anyone have experience of those cable to hydraulic disk brake calipers? I'm trying to work out a reasonable (less than R8000) hydraulic braking solution). Any advice would be appreciated.

Looking good! What calipers have you got on there now? I find the cable ones are fine now that I have the right calipers (short pull) for road levers - went with the cheapest ones I could find where both pads move (not like the mtb mechanical calipers I have, where one pad is stationary).

ZENO Speed Clip Dual Piston Mechanical Disc Brake Set, Compete with TRP Spyre, Post Mount Version, 160mm Rotor Include -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074HT4Z5P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Otherwise the ones jewbacca recommended also look cool:

Juin Tech R1 Hybrid Hydraulic Road Disc Brake Set Post 160mm Road | Gravel | CX -

https://www.amazon.com/JUIN-TECH-Hydraulic-Brake-ST1675/dp/B07JNQBV2F

(or you can find them on ebay too or other sites)

Just make sure to get the correct mounting option (flat mount vs post mount vs IS)

Andy, I have used these.

I cannot recommend them enough

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Juin-Tech-M1-Mountain-E-bike-Bicycle-Bike-Hydraulic-Disc-Brake-Caliper-Set-Black-/202787747525

Closed system, super good feel and they really stop you. IMHO, after using both, they are way prettier, smaller, lighter and better at their job than the TRP version at half the price.

Time is pretty tight at the moment and time is getting short but I managed to at least get the drive train together. 0ccd099e52d9195ab87d1d3199ecbb86.jpg

I wonder if the missus will jump on the back with me ????

I wonder if the missus will jump on the back with me [emoji1787]

Convince her and you're welcome to take it for a spin some time next week for sure!

Convince her and you're welcome to take it for a spin some time next week for sure!

Think she might know better ????

Close up of that 'one sided' drive train8042453bb2b9d3f815b9caa59e07476f.jpgdeed4010d52efd01a07639ae6f8cc496.jpg

Add a front derailleur or a chain guide to the bike.

Believe me you will need it. I also run a 1x9 setup on my bike and the chain doesn't like to stay on in the larger gears.

Another suggestion is to use the SRAM 991X chain for the rear set, it is the strongest thing short of using BMX chains on the bike. Look it up if you like, it beats all comers for strength and durability.

Otherwise it looks really good. Impressive work.

Right that's that, good enough for the annual father son ride on Sunday! I've taken it round the suburb, shifting works fine, brakes 'work'

Thanks for all the tips and advice gents. Many of you will know that builds like this I try to do as best I can with what I have in my garage and what I can scavenge from my sons shop, mate's shops and their garages. Only cost was 120 ZA rondts for the tandem length gear and brake inner cables. Not something anyone I know would have 'lying around'

Did have to juggle wheelsets around a bit but all my other bikes are still intact and rideable. a150a9c4bb6f55e7d540993760f5a54e.jpg5d4db9bdcc7909fc45f67a230843af69.jpg4c94badc69ceed9813277dcfd88ae278.jpg

• 3 months later...

Finally have working brakes and gears after I changed the brake calipers and chainring.

ZENO Speed Clip Dual Piston Mechanical Disc Brake Set -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074HT4Z5P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(short vs long pull - this is the best explanation I could find - https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/20809/what-is-the-actual-cable-pull-of-brake-levers)

42 tooth 1x chainring (also got a 44) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XYNWYM8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had to move the BB spacers around again to get enough clearance for the chainring teeth on the drive side.

Sprayed it with some spray-paint I still had lying around just to get a basic idea - still need to strip it again and spray it completely.

Finally done after over a year (and lots of km's) - stripped and sprayed properly and front end lowered with a 26er fork. Might still cut the fork steerer and maybe still need a black chainring now instead of the red one...

post-2133-0-19875900-1602448851_thumb.jpeg

post-2133-0-02845400-1602449068_thumb.jpeg

post-2133-0-64440300-1602449080_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ridr

• 3 months later...

Finally getting a frame to do a monster build, so now the hunt is on to find some parts....

Anyone know where I might be able to find some Avid BB7 or TRP Spyre calipers? And some 10 speed Shimano road shifters?

I have a medium steel Singular Swift frame and fork for sale for an epic build... message me if you are keen.

I have a medium steel Singular Swift frame and fork for sale for an epic build... message me if you are keen.

Thanks man, but already have 2 frames, an Orbea 26" and a Raleigh 650b, to choose from, just need to decide which will be best for the build, at the moment I am keen on doing to Orbea but not sure if it might be a little big