How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

23 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Not sure where I'm going with this 'mullet' thing yet ... currently 27.5x2.4 rear and 29x2.25 front

I have a 27.5x3.0 to try and a mate is dropping off a 29x2.4 later, will see if the 3.0 first in the rear, I'll fit the 2.4 front anyway

Also has a derailleur hanger issue so probably SS

20210610_135210~2.jpg

Looks like a lekker play thing ????

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Progress being made ... this is a collaboration with Grumpy from the The Workshop at Thaba trails.

He has provided most of the 'bits' ... need to sort out the hub on the rear wheel, current one takes a screw on cluster but no way to get the chain line correct if I use a BMX type screw on freewheel so I'll have strip the wheel and build it with a normal hub. 

Now has a 27.5x2.8 rear tyre, need to still get the 29x2.4 front to fit

20210615_133954.jpg

Busy getting the parts together for my own MonsterCross. Managed to to find a StumpJumper 29er frame with Roval Disc Road wheels. Will fit SRAM Force 1x11 Hydraulic Levers with an XO1 11 Speed rear derailleur. I just need a crank. Frame going in for a fresh coat of paint next week. 

2 hours ago, ACE Cycles said:

Busy getting the parts together for my own MonsterCross. Managed to to find a StumpJumper 29er frame with Roval Disc Road wheels. Will fit SRAM Force 1x11 Hydraulic Levers with an XO1 11 Speed rear derailleur. I just need a crank. Frame going in for a fresh coat of paint next week. 

Stay with the red, white and blue that Stumpjumper is cool just as is.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

This looks pretty promising for easy conversion of MTB bikes to gravel... 

News24: Handlebar breakthrough for gravel riders.
https://www.news24.com/ride24/gear/handlebar-breakthrough-for-gravel-riders-20210720

Always interesting to see that other people have the same issues as I do :D

A surprising recent addition to my list of cycling non-compatibilities is that road and MTB handlebars use slightly different 'pipe' diameters. In my case I was just trying to fit mtb brakes so I could test drive my new build, but hey presto here's a mtb diametered road bar.

Probably saves you R10k on your build.

Edited by 100Tours

30 minutes ago, MORNE said:

It will weigh a ton like my surly sunrise bar lol. 800g????.  Chromo bars are harsh AF too. 

I'd take the convenience over those disadvantages personally but then again I'm an old codger not bothered with weight and a bit of vibration ????

21 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I'd take the convenience over those disadvantages personally but then again I'm an old codger not bothered with weight and a bit of vibration ????

No i get it, im also not too bothered by weight…i only ride steel bikes afterall…why i have a set. They also have 14* ish backsweep that makes them super comfy on the wrists too, but id be lying if i say they were the most plush things on earth. Chromo does not comply in those short and thick lengths.  
For what it’s worth, these would have been a serious consideration on my new project if i knew about them earlier. But i’m going the “other” less expensive route. Mechanical brake only levers with some yokozuna brakes and some bar end shifters.

obviously these surly bars make ‘cheap’ mtb hydro’s possible which in themself makes them worth it.’brifters’ are totally overcomplicated and overpriced imo. The amount of right hand -“does not shift or ghost shifts” -levers that go through the classifieds here is enough reason for me to give them a skip on something i just want yo work and be reliable.

there is also sonething made by Paul components which is basically just a clamp for a Sram mtb shifter to go on a road bar…so you can run Eagle on a drop bar bike.

Edited by MORNE

• 3 months later...

Good Morning,

My bastard good-for-nothing MonsterCross currently has 42mm ”adventure” tyres on it. They are fine on the tar, sing on regular farm roads but find myself losing traction on steeper ascents and touching cloth on looser descents.

For my purposes I think these would be a good balance for what I use my bike for:

Front - https://www.takealot.com/pirelli-scorpion-29-x-2-6-enduro-mixed-terrain-cycling-tyre/PLID71579392

Rear - https://www.takealot.com/pirelli-scorpion-29-x-2-4-tyre-tr-hard-terrain-cycling-tyre/PLID55548197

I saw these on that copperhead guy's bike and figured if they are good enough for his exploits they will be more than capable for my comparatively mild jaunts.

Any thoughts or considerations I may have overlooked? 

TIA

On 4/29/2021 at 9:20 PM, NotSoBigBen said:

Ready for a coffee ride tomorrow [emoji41]

For the cycling 'nerds' some details ...

SSG - Single Speed Gravel

Frame - 2008 Bianchi Oetsi 26" MTB frame

Fork - Mosso rigid Alu

Shift levers - SRAM, the left shifter is US but the brake works

Crank - Truvative Stylo, also around 2010 - the right pedal is stuck in but luckily it's in ok nick

Drive train details - 42x22, to get that 'magic gear' to look good!

Tyres - CST Traveller 700x38, non tubeless but running them tubeless ...

Wheels - 29" MTB definitely not a 'set', front XT hub with some generic rim, rear a non series Shimano wheel

Brake calipers - Tektro Novela mechanical

A real mish mash ...

[emoji41]02392ac7325b7b5e0b9fa1e627a79acd.jpg3e5bb67956868bdbcf949e20c9459e4e.jpg6bdeff477363d891e9ab9eb86729c5f4.jpg

Oom Ben, do you mind if I DM you about a bike I would like to have painted?