Oom Ben, do you mind if I DM you about a bike I would like to have 

Not at all! Give me a shout

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the age of road hydraulic and gravel ye olde monstercross build is a bit of a dinsaur but when my new gravel bike got delayed again I thought "you must have enough stuff lying around to build a monstercross/gravel bike that you can ride until your actual gravel bike arrives".

This is the result. Mtb frame/wheels/stem/crank, gravel fork/bars/tyres and road group. The geometry is terrible but it is great for an hour or two blast.

niner.jpg.5a23a35c2ce730cbaa3c7e52cb05772c.jpg

19 minutes ago, Eldron said:

In the age of road hydraulic and gravel ye olde monstercross build is a bit of a dinsaur but when my new gravel bike got delayed again I thought "you must have enough stuff lying around to build a monstercross/gravel bike that you can ride until your actual gravel bike arrives".

This is the result. Mtb frame/wheels/stem/crank, gravel fork/bars/tyres and road group. The geometry is terrible but it is great for an hour or two blast.

niner.jpg.5a23a35c2ce730cbaa3c7e52cb05772c.jpg

Workshop invaded wifes kitchen methinks. ????

Where did you get a set of sram axs levers for 1 x?I have searched all over for a set of hydraulic brake/shift levers for my gravel bike but not one shop has a set.The only good reason for sam is all the axs parts can be mixed.So get a sram axs upgrade hit and then good luck finding axs rival/apex or force levers.And your stumpy looks super cool.

8 hours ago, Lewr said:

Where did you get a set of sram axs levers for 1 x?I have searched all over for a set of hydraulic brake/shift levers for my gravel bike but not one shop has a set.The only good reason for sam is all the axs parts can be mixed.So get a sram axs upgrade hit and then good luck finding axs rival/apex or force levers.And your stumpy looks super cool.

I was lucky enough to get a set as the new Rival AXS goodies landed. My bike shop pre ordered 

This afternoons effort for my 14 yr old daughter. Her old XCO frame, bunch of spare parts laying around at home. New shifters and FD, and two hours later. 9.1kg as in the photo. Lekker for messing around and some gravel road rides while on holiday saving that 1x12 drivetrain on her new xco bike.

20211120_171859_copy_2000x1500.jpg

20211120_171822_copy_2000x1500.jpg

Nice build love my ride.Tell me.What brake/shifter levers are those you used.I have the new shimano 12 speed slx groupset on my bike and would like to convert to dropbar.Are there actually shimano levers that can do this on 1x12 speed currently and also disc compatable.Regards

So after much uhming and ahing I, just for ****s and giggles, gooied a spare road bar I had onto my recently acquired Chisel, just to check that the geometry can work. And lo and behold, going for the smaller frame size (being 178cm I'm always smack dab between a M and a L) paid off.

20211124_213944.jpg.cddc1d2338c469eb0564e94d161e3362.jpg

Seeing it in this config made me feel fizzy inside, so the hunt for parts will soon begin. If I could source a Surly Corner bar it'd be simple, and I'm a little nervous about getting a knockoff off of Aliexpress (I rather enjoy having my teeth intact). Might end up sourcing some road hydraulic levers for braking, and MacGuyvering the current shifter I have to work. Getting 12spd Shimano Hydraulic levers are going to cost more than the whole bike.

• 1 month later...

Not sure it can still be called 'monster'cross ... 

It needed a total strip down and rebuild after over 15000k's of riding, my mate just happened to be spraying a Maxda CX3 with this color this week.

'If you bring it now I'll spray it' he said on Tuesday ... there like a bear!

Necessitated a few other 'style' changes of course as well as a new cassette, chain and chainrings.

Had loads of pedal strikes because of the low BB height, fitted a 170 crank ... let's see if that's better 😎

463475767_IMG-20210511-WA00102.jpg.ee699720276e3864e6a300a669254b9f.jpg

Before

426241120_20220122_1117463.jpg.3cce71b34b6304b1465b46a52ffd9f8a.jpg

After

1 hour ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Not sure it can still be called 'monster'cross ... 

It needed a total strip down and rebuild after over 15000k's of riding, my mate just happened to be spraying a Maxda CX3 with this color this week.

'If you bring it now I'll spray it' he said on Tuesday ... there like a bear!

Necessitated a few other 'style' changes of course as well as a new cassette, chain and chainrings.

Had loads of pedal strikes because of the low BB height, fitted a 170 crank ... let's see if that's better 😎

463475767_IMG-20210511-WA00102.jpg.ee699720276e3864e6a300a669254b9f.jpg

Before

426241120_20220122_1117463.jpg.3cce71b34b6304b1465b46a52ffd9f8a.jpg

After

She's a beauty!