Tokai Plantation - 24th November - Downhill Race

daneger

Guest Omega Man

ROFL. Don't mind Omega - he reckons everything with less than 180mm travel front and back is an XC bike.

But yeah - there are chicken runs, and rollable jumps and all sorts. I used to do it on my hardtail, and I know a few people who will do it on rigids (or could)

So yes, it is do-able on an XC bike.

I don't understand your comment. There's only 3 types of bike. Dowhill bikes, XC bikes and dirt jump bikes. Anything that isn't a DH bike or Dirtjump bike is by extension a XC bike.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand your comment. There's only 3 types of bike. Dowhill bikes, XC bikes and dirt jump bikes. Anything that isn't a DH bike or Dirtjump bike is by extension a XC bike.

So I saw William Simpson this morning and my bike was on the back of the bakkie. He peeked in and said to his workshop manager "Downhill bike". I looked up and immediately found myself without words because calling it a XC bike would make no sense to the man who's bike weighs 9kg?!

SO what did I call it, "an All Mountain bike", or AM for short.

Go up there this weekend and take a look. ........

Yesterday I checked out the new big jump at the bottom - it's so huge, just looking at it made my balls shrink.blush.png I'll have to ditch the bike like a booster rocket just after take off and then use a base jumping squirrel suit to fly to the landing site.

Guest Omega Man

Yesterday I checked out the new big jump at the bottom - it's so huge, just looking at it made my balls shrink.blush.png I'll have to ditch the bike like a booster rocket just after take off and then use a base jumping squirrel suit to fly to the landing site.

Hahaha. Ja me too. That's why I use words like aspirational to describe it.

But to be fair by real downhill standards it's not big. The tables at PMB are 27m long and you come in at 65+ kph. It's also probably the most well built feature in Tokai. The run up is super smooth. The takeoff is pretty much perfect and the landing is smooth, long and there's nothing to impale yourself on. It's just big. And it's not for old codgers like you and I. It's for youngsters looking to go big.

I saw a 16 year old girl in France that would smash that jump in her sleep. It's all relative.

Also if you look at the road gap for instance you've got a dodgy roll in and a super tight corner in amongst a whole lot of trees to deal with.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Someones gonna come short on that big jump sooner or later. But it won't be me:)

Theresa's son slammed HARD on Sunday. He followed Duran in. cased it with his back wheel and got bucked over the bars. It wasn't pretty but he walked away

Guest Omega Man

I rode my reign this evening and had such a flowy run down. It felt so smooth and fast i really thought I was pinning it. And then I saw Duran....

I rode my reign this evening and had such a flowy run down. It felt so smooth and fast i really thought I was pinning it. And then I saw Duran....

Haha! Yeah, that snor of his must have magical powers.

Guest Omega Man

Haha! Yeah, that snor of his must have magical powers.

He say's he's going slow. just under 3 mins to the quarry. He should really be clipping tho. He's so smooth.

Edited by Omega Man

He say's he's going slow. just under 3 mins to the quarry. He should really be clipping tho. He's so smooth.

Apparently the Shredder is doing it approx 2m50. But I reckon Snor-boy can do it a lot faster.

Gonna try go up soon and set a time so that I know what a very average rider can expect to do in the race. Don't think I will get close to 3 minutes though...

Gonna try go up soon and set a time so that I know what a very average rider can expect to do in the race. Don't think I will get close to 3 minutes though...

I hazard a guess that my time would be tallied in hours...