International Triathlon

Garfield2010

I must confess to having Alpe deHuez on my list of races.Even if just to say to people while watching the TdF that I have ridden raced up that mountain CLEANph34r.png .
Edited by Garfield2010

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do IM NZ. You can then add some hobbit scalps to your trophy cabinet.

So what is the story with AbuDhabi? I registered on the site and heard nothing more.

I have enough of those after doing the "hobbit" trail run last year......

Maybe Switzerland is better so I can add some new overseas scalps.....

The Garf loves it when they talk foreign to him....ph34r.png

Ok so why dont we do the Alpe dHuez Tri then?

2.2km swim, 110km bike and a 25km trail run???

It is the 24th of July which is a Wednesday. Maybe we can fly in on Sat, watch the last Paris TDF stage the Sunday and then roadtrip down to the race which is Wednesday... then come back the next Sunday??

Swiss will book us a rooms at the local Moulon Rouge

Man i'd love to, just not sure if i can commit to it in July 2013

Moulon rouge you say....LOL is the family going to be coming wiff

Yes my wife will come along. She can go shop with your wifes while we tour the country side racing and looking for brothels to speed up recovery times

Well there is a sprint race as well............................ But you do realise then I get your scalp by default.....whistling.gif

Yes my wife will come along. She can go shop with your wifes while we tour the country side racing and looking for brothels to speed up recovery times

no wife for me .... whistling.gif

My wife was supposed to do the Sprint race, which is pretty much a swim, then warm up ride to the bottom of Alpe De Huez, get to the top and then about a 12km trail run!!

One word of advise. We stayed at the top of Alpe De Huez which is really beautiful and there is a lot of things to do up there. Even in summer. The ice rink still operates and they have a heated swimming pool. As well as loads of mountain bike and walk/running trails.

So the only thing was on the day of the sprint race, you can ride to the start. Which means you go down Alpe De Huez which is no fun when it is raining and slippery. I rode down to the start and my arms were poked from just having to break for what felt like forever. So if you can get a car to the start that would be ideal.

Oh and they also group everyone by country, so if there are any other Saffa's you will see them at the start!!

Oh and they also group everyone by country, so if there are any other Saffa's you will see them at the start!!

Nice

So are we doing this then? How do we get from Paris to the Alpe? I wanna go to Paris on Sat, watch the tour on Sunday, hang around Paris on Monday and travel to Alpe on Tuesday, race Wednesday and travel some more afterwards for another few days with the wife.

Will R40k be enough?

I caught the TGV from Paris to Grenoble (If that is how you spell it)

Once again buy your tickets for the TVG before you get there, a lot cheaper than on the day. There was enough space for my wife and my bike boxes and it was relaxing and super quick.

The trick is once you are there you can either hire a taxi or catch the local bus to Borg D Osains (Once again remembering this off the top of my head) The bus has space again for the boxes. The thing that we did wrong was thinking lets wait for the bus that goes all the way up to the top of Alpe De Huez, which sometimes only goes once a day. So we waited for a few hours before just taking the bus to Borg D Osains and then hiring a taxi to take us to the top. That was 35 Euro's to get to the top. And I think the bus was something like 5 Euros.

Another option which I might consider is looking at hiring a car with unlimited mileage. As the TGV is good but it is not super cheap. Then at least with the car you can drive where ever you want, and dont have to spend time waiting for buses and trains :) Just shop around apparently there are some cheap ones :)

I budgeted for 40k and if you book and pay for stuff before hand, by the time you get there you pretty much just need your spending money!!!

I was looking into IM Canada next year (end of Aug), its been moved to Whistler... looks awesome!

..its on the back-burner for now with our first baby on the way eek.gif

did notice that these races overseas sell-out FAST ! you gotta jump right in, otherwise you miss out..

OK here is how it works. Either I do the Alpe dHuez Tri. With a 3 day stayover in Dubai afterwards (8 days trip) it will costs R22,500 for two people flights. No accomodation or travel is included. Doing this trip will allow to see the TDF finish in Paris the Sunday and shop for a few days in Dubai afterwards.

Another option is Whistler that Metzet mentioned. They are sold out but I mailed them enquiring as they sometimes make provision for internationals but lets wait and see.

It is the most beautifull place ever (google pics). Roundtrip flights = R25,000. You do however land in Vancouver which is close to the venue so expect other costs to be minimum.

Only downside to this trip will be jetlag..............as you will only get off 29 hours after getting on the plane........ Can one recover in 4 days to race at a relatively competitave level?

OK here is how it works. Either I do the Alpe dHuez Tri. With a 3 day stayover in Dubai afterwards (8 days trip) it will costs R22,500 for two people flights. No accomodation or travel is included. Doing this trip will allow to see the TDF finish in Paris the Sunday and shop for a few days in Dubai afterwards.

Another option is Whistler that Metzet mentioned. They are sold out but I mailed them enquiring as they sometimes make provision for internationals but lets wait and see.

It is the most beautifull place ever (google pics). Roundtrip flights = R25,000. You do however land in Vancouver which is close to the venue so expect other costs to be minimum.

Only downside to this trip will be jetlag..............as you will only get off 29 hours after getting on the plane........ Can one recover in 4 days to race at a relatively competitave level?

jet lag could be a big problem, if I remember correctly for westerley travel you need 1.5 days recovery per time zone you cross, canada alone has 5 or 6 time zones.

4 days and your IM could feel like a double IM !

it does look amazing though..drool.gif

Alp dHuez, probably a better option - more bang for your buck !

I was looking into IM Canada next year (end of Aug), its been moved to Whistler... looks awesome!

..its on the back-burner for now with our first baby on the way eek.gif

did notice that these races overseas sell-out FAST ! you gotta jump right in, otherwise you miss out..

My cousin is coming (from Canadia) to do the 70.3 in Jan, he has entered the IM in Whistler, I may have to drag myself off there for the return leg

Have you factored in bike transport costs? I believe going to the North Americas can get very pricey.