And in other doping news...

Jules

I see Drug Free Sport has posted its 2012 annual report. You can download it here: http://www.drugfreesport.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/anual_report2012.pdf

The report makes for interesting reading. For example, out of 61 dopers busted, four were cyclists. There were no big names caught (DG came later).

The cyclists are:

Russel Lund - methandienone - two years

Enzo Lezzi - norandrosterone and Noreticholanolone - 15 months

Jaco Rheeder - Methamphetamine - two years

Wayne Collin - Boldenone (something) Hydrochlorothiazide (?) - hearing still to take place

Road cyclists are tested more often (175 times, 23 for EPO) than mountain bikers (66 times, 10 for EPO).

Cannabis seems to be quite a popular drug amongst sportsman, and results in a 2-4 month suspension.

Yes, but the only reason for cannabis being more prominent is that it takes around 30 days for tetrahydrocannabinols to clear the system.

Anyways, cannabis is not the evil stepmother people used to think it is. Doubt it is beneficial to sporting activities though so those numbers are probably more for on the recreational purposes side.

Boldenone? What idiot in his right mind uses Boldenone? Equipoise? Its a horse steroid?!

Sorry, just realised the paradox here! Right mind and idiot rarely go together

You get suspended for smoking dope? May as well suspend someone for chilling out on the couch and eating everything in sight because basically that is what they're doing with that one.

Boldenone? What idiot in his right mind uses Boldenone? Equipoise? Its a horse steroid?!

I used to work with a chubby-ish oke who wanted to (start again) injecting himself with horse steroids because he wanted to pump iron again. Supposedly had a few brain cells, he is(was?) a computer programmer... 30-ish, married, father of 2.

Right mind? You'd think... yeah right idiot!

Especially as : "It has a very long half-life, and can show up on a steroid test for up to 1.5 years, due to the long undecylenate ester attached to the parent steroid. Trace amounts of the drug can easily be detected for months after discontinued use."

...Maybe he just had some horse steak ....whistling.gif

Edited by The Guy in Pink

I have absolutlely no idea who those riders are. Good to see though that testing doesn't only happen at the sharpest end of the sport.

I was chatting with a person last week who told me that there had been 12 busts by Athletics SA and 30 at the craven week rugby.

true

wacko.png

Sorry, but this is a stupid argument. The media report on the cases that are most intersting to the public. So when one of the "greatest cylcists ever" and one of South Africa's "best cyclists" ever get done for doping then its obviously going to get reported. As did the guy who one this year's Comrades.

As far as I'm concerned cycling is getting what it deserves.

Unless I'm mistaken Jaco Rheede is a Cape sub-vet rider who rode for Anderson Transport and Enzo Lezi is a Cape Vet cyclist. Gives me a nice rosy feeling to think that I raced against these guys! cursing.gif

Maybe its time to trade in the race bikes for a single speed and a lot of beer coupons thumbup1.gif !

Edited by JasonW

Sorry, but this is a stupid argument. The media report on the cases that are most intersting to the public. So when one of the "greatest cylcists ever" and one of South Africa's "best cyclists" ever get done for doping then its obviously going to get reported. As did the guy who one this year's Comrades.

As far as I'm concerned cycling is getting what it deserves.

Unless I'm mistaken Jaco Rheede is a Cape sub-vet rider who rode for Anderson Transport and Enzo Lezi is a Cape Vet cyclist. Gives me a nice rosy feeling to think that I raced against these guys! cursing.gif

Maybe its time to trade in the race bikes for a single speed and a lot of beer coupons thumbup1.gif !

Yep, Jaco rode for Anderson and I just found out he was tested at the Argus MTB this year. I'm told he took a decongestant bought outside of SA which caused the positive. He still had the packaging which he produced for Drug Free Sport.

I've raced with Jaco for a few years now and he's always been a decent guy and a good teammate. He's decided to take the ban and get on with his life.

6 out 61 were minors.

What were/are their parents doing/allowing?

5 26-Mar-11 Minor M Athletics IC

Methandienone Methylhexaneamine

Anabolic Agent Stimulant18 Month Suspension11

11-Jul-11 Minor M Rugby Union OOC

19-Norandrosterone and 19-Noreticholanolone

Anabolic Agent 2 Year Suspension

12 12-Jul-11 Minor M Rugby Union IC

Epimetendiol, 17-methyl-5-androstane-3,17-diol

31 19-Jan-12 Minor M Rugby OOC 17-hydroxymethyl-17-methyl-18-nor-androst-1,4; 13-triene-3-one and 17-methyl-androstane-3,17diol, Boldenone 5-androst-1-en-17-ol-3-one

Anabolic Agent 18 months Suspension

33 08-Feb-12 Minor F Athletics IC

Methylhexaneamine

Stimulant 18 Month Suspension

34 08-Feb-12 Minor M Athletics IC

3-hydroxystanozolol 4-hydroxystanozolol 16-hydroxystanozolol Stanozolol

Edited by robox