Commuting bikes in Cape Town

timefly

I find it rather interesting that people who are 'cyclists' (and I refer to those who only train/ exersize/race) persieve those who ride bicycles as a means of transport not as cyclist. That somehow the more expensive the bike the more of a cylist you are. If you don't have the lastest, most flashy and brand name, then you are a nobody.

The reality is that those same people mostly cover far more distince than any one of those 'cyclist'. Those same nobodies are also far more friendly and more likely to greet you.

The long and short is that commuting is not perceived as being cool. Also we live in country were we sometimes stay far away from our place of work. I stay 35km from work and commute. In Holland you are halfway on your way to Germany by then. And people are butt lazy

Frankly people who think the term 'cyclist' refers only to lycra-clad shaven-legged carbon fetishists are peasants with little to zero knowledge of 1st world culture and 3rd world necessities. In short, they need to get out more.

Frankly people who think the term 'cyclist' refers only to lycra-clad shaven-legged carbon fetishists are peasants with little to zero knowledge of 1st world culture and 3rd world necessities. In short, they need to get out more.

Alas, none of those beauties are South African. I should rather have said commuting is not perceived to be cool by SA people in metal boxes. But having a fixie is currently cool. That is until the next best thing comes along.

But I did have a good time looking at people in metal boxes this evening with Hairy, et al.

I find it rather interesting that people who are 'cyclists' (and I refer to those who only train/ exersize/race) persieve those who ride bicycles as a means of transport not as cyclist. That somehow the more expensive the bike the more of a cylist you are. If you don't have the lastest, most flashy and brand name, then you are a nobody.

The reality is that those same people mostly cover far more distince than any one of those 'cyclist'. Those same nobodies are also far more friendly and more likely to greet you.

The long and short is that commuting is not perceived as being cool. Also we live in country were we sometimes stay far away from our place of work. I stay 35km from work and commute. In Holland you are halfway on your way to Germany by then. And people are butt lazy

It is crazy that people look down on cycling commuters. Also though to be honest there is a difference in racing cyclists and commuters. Commuters in general will never reach the level of performance of racing cyclists. It is done out of enjoyment or necessity.

Also we need to understand that we do not have people with 1st world frames of minds. Here in SA if you take the bus you deemed poor , if you cycling you not cool you poor. Think about it - how many of you can meet girls while cycling? This is a very materialist place. Girls will give you the eye if you have a BMW or Mercedes.

We need better sets of values. We need to be better people. Just my thoughts

A few points here...have been asked by many African people why I don't have a car.

Seems weird that I would commute if I had a car.

My commuting has in fact made me a faster cyclist?

One of my best friends met his future wife while cycling.

When I tell people how much time and money I save, they can't believe it.

It is always a nice topic for discussion and for changing people's perception about cyclists.

I would love to cycle more, but I work near where my daughters go to school aroud Rondebosch / Newlands main Road.

Coming out of Pinelands down the dual carriageway with two offramps to the N2 where people often misjudge how fast I am going can be scary. One really has to trust that nothing goes wrong, knowing that without the metal box around me at best I would end up badly bruised and scraped. Falling on tar at 30 to 40km/h cannot be good for you.

I am kind of prepared to do this by myself, but with my 11 and 13yo daughters? Not so much. We could ride along the pavement but the pedestrian crossing there is not so great either. So then what? It is frustrating. That painted stripe down the side of the road does nothing for my peace of mind.

Once you reach Rondebosch Common it is all fine with proper cycle lanes and quiet side roads pretty much all the way.

There is a cycle lane going in on Albert Road Woodstock but the kids will probably be finished school before we get a cycle lane out of Pinelands.

Just ride down Raapenburg Road very carefully and look when crossing those two intersections and use your hands to indicate that you are going straight.

h

Just ride down Raapenburg Road very carefully and look when crossing those two intersections and use your hands to indicate that you are going straight.

Hehe. If I went left I would end up on the N2 :-) How do you indicate "straight" on a bicycle?

I reckon I am happier sharing Albert Road with taxis. Maybe I should go slower down there, tempting as it is to feel the wind and hear the tyres humming.

Edited by timefly