Planning on a first Tri

El Dodgius Bastardo

Interesting, did not know that, thought it was just up to temps. (that the organizers then announce prior to the race)

Yeah, totally up to race officials. Obviously they take temp and conditions into consideration

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

was just about to ask if there was anything like this... Keen to join prob won't make today though. Are there any swims on the weekends as well?

What the water temp like?

I don't know of any group that swims on weekends, except closer to IronMan. Not sure of temp, but I don't have a wetsuit and have never found it particularly cold.

Chip systems are used and can differ between races depending on the organisers and sponsored timing...

Spectrum Sport - BSG

I think Champion Chips are used as well for some events

There is only one bit of advice that I can give... All you need to worry about on the day, is finishing. Not on the podium or anything like that, but getting your body over that finish line.

Doesn't matter where you place, just enjoy it.

• 3 weeks later...

Buffelspoort wil be my first sprint tri, really amped for it

It seems I have to go back on what I said previously. Just entered the Buffelspoort sprint tri on the 27th of Jan. I'm k@kking already

The sprint distance is doable on little training, so don't psych yourself out on this. Just go and enjoy it. You'll probably not place in the top 10, so nobody will worry about your time ;)

Yeah, totally up to race officials. Obviously they take temp and conditions into consideration

Scrumpy,

its not totally correct that it is up to the officials, ITU rules state that the water temp limit for wetsuits is 22 deg C this must be measured 1 hour before the race at three separate spots on the race course, ambient temperatures are taken into consideration when deciding if wetsuits are allowed or not, so in a nutshell, under 22 deg C wetsuit legal above 22 Deg C depends on the ambient conditions for example wind and rain

@FacePlant - You are correct, but what I meant, in light of what was being said/asked, was that even if it's colder than 22 you may not be allowed to wear your wetsuit. Ie, the temp is NOT the deciding factor - can't bank on a yes or no for wetsuits, but thanks for clearing it up :P

Time??? What's that? My goal is to finish.

The running and cycling bit is coming along fine, so I don't foresee any trouble. Swimming on the other hand...

Howz the Total Immersion training going, you said something about going there?

For your first swim just start on the outside of the mob and keep to the outside when you have to swim around bouys, unless your at the back or front then you can swim right past the buoys. Dont panic or start to fast and make sure you swim in the right direction and breathe every stroke (left or right not left and right) and practise breathing on both sides as it helps spot where you are if the bank (land) is on the wrong side...easy huh? not so much to remember is it... LOL

Enjoy

I've bought the TI freestyle made easy video, which will form the basis of my swimming training

I would recommend you doing the two day TI course.