The Froome Dawg Thread

'Dale

23 minutes ago, Eldron said:

The fanboy in me hopes this has been one big Froomedawg hustle and he'll smash Number 5 in July.

The pragmatist in me thinks that we've seen waaaay to many "Progress has been good and I'm still on track to crack Number 5" followed by another average performance (average by his own high standards of course).

Hope versus pragmatism. I hoping hope wins ????

Goooo Froome!

I'll be surprised if he's in the TdF lineup with talk of GC ambitions. I don't see many scenarios of that going well from a marketing view.

He's listed as 51-1 to win, alongside Nairo and Wout - with just 9 people higher, 4 of them Ineos riders

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me a successful comeback doesn't begin and end with a Tour Victory. After the crash he could have just drifted off into retirement, but instead he's fighting his way back up. If he even makes the top 20 that is a great result for a guy who is 36 and could have been in a career ending accident. Bare in mind that the oldest Tour winner ever was 36. 

Also, while I think it's highly unlikely, it would be hilarious if this was just an Ali style rope-a-dope by Froome. The youtube channel and all the flopped races just to put one over the youngsters on the Tour..... it would make my year. 

50 minutes ago, kosmonooit said:

Wasn't the deal breaker was that his agent wanted assurances Chris would go into the races as the  team leader / protected rider? Dave quite rightly stepped away from that. I think if his requirements  for contract renewal were more modest he could have spent his twilight years there, as a road captain etc. though probably for much less. 

As much as I would like to see his return to top form and take #5, I would be pleasantly surprised if it happened.

Also as much money as Mr Israel Startup has, I doubt he can provide the level of support Chris got at Sky/ Ineos.

Correct. They had 3 potential leaders in the team, Froome, Bernal and Thomas, one too many. Brailsford went with Bernal and Thomas. Good decision as it turns out for Ineos. It's June and there are lots of riders in the mix for the Tour but a lot can happen between now and the end of July as we always see. If Froome is sandbagging he will need to change his game plan as ISN will not be able to offer the support he had but he showed in the 80km Giro break that he can, lets see what July brings. We love a comeback story.

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I'll be surprised if he's in the TdF lineup with talk of GC ambitions. I don't see many scenarios of that going well from a marketing view.

He's listed as 51-1 to win, alongside Nairo and Wout - with just 9 people higher, 4 of them Ineos riders

Those odd are quite short, I will only be placing my bet when he drifts further after the Dauphine - I want to be wrong so I'll make the call now and then have to eat my words.  IF he finishes the tour, he won't make the top 10  - I'd be surprised if he makes the top 20

I think best case scenario he wins a stage but on the evidence this doesn't seem likely

I love a comeback and I'm all for the old guys (Valdemort excepted)

2 hours ago, NickGM said:

To me a successful comeback doesn't begin and end with a Tour Victory. After the crash he could have just drifted off into retirement, but instead he's fighting his way back up. If he even makes the top 20 that is a great result for a guy who is 36 and could have been in a career ending accident. Bare in mind that the oldest Tour winner ever was 36. 

Also, while I think it's highly unlikely, it would be hilarious if this was just an Ali style rope-a-dope by Froome. The youtube channel and all the flopped races just to put one over the youngsters on the Tour..... it would make my year. 

we'd all love that - and getting back on the bike is in itself a comeback

I do however think that to Chris a comeback does begin and end with a Tour victory - he's a champion and that's how he has to think.

There were quite a few splits in yesterdays stage, not just froomie got "dropped"

Yesterdays stage was easy peezy compared to the coming weekend stages, lets see what happens then.... drum roll (dreaded drum roll or circus drum roll remains to be seen)

2 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

There were quite a few splits in yesterdays stage, not just froomie got "dropped"

Yesterdays stage was easy peezy compared to the coming weekend stages, lets see what happens then.... drum roll (dreaded drum roll or circus drum roll remains to be seen)

He was dropped; he didn’t miss a split unfortunately 

1 minute ago, J Wakefield said:

He was dropped; he didn’t miss a split unfortunately 

Yeah i saw it happen and was watching froomie for awhile before that as he was drifting and hanging on the back.

Did not mean to imply he missed a split (actually i said "not just froomie got "dropped") but rather that there were quite a few time splits, meaning gaps  

2 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

Those odd are quite short, I will only be placing my bet when he drifts further after the Dauphine - I want to be wrong so I'll make the call now and then have to eat my words.  IF he finishes the tour, he won't make the top 10  - I'd be surprised if he makes the top 20

I think best case scenario he wins a stage but on the evidence this doesn't seem likely

I love a comeback and I'm all for the old guys (Valdemort excepted)

I've just watched the 2nd stage, he got dropped proper whilst the others were riding tempo on a moderate climb.  Sad to say I have to agree that a top 20 will be hard to wish for.

BTW, Maincheese, what races is he using to prep for the Tour, if he's part of the IWG plan?

Watching Froome struggling as he still rehabilitates and watching the level of racing now. Fork-it.  He has clearly gone backwards and it seems the racing has gone forwards.

His life after sport is shaping up already as he is an investor and stakeholder in the American company Hammerhead.

4 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

we'd all love that - and getting back on the bike is in itself a comeback

I do however think that to Chris a comeback does begin and end with a Tour victory - he's a champion and that's how he has to think.

It's that champion mentality that separates him from me. That's gotta be the only reason I'm not up there at his level. 

Froome just left the gate, and we will see how he compares to the other better TT riders vying for the GC.

Froome 93d @-2:12

It is not just a problem of a few extra kg. Power must be below par as well. I dont think ISN should take him to the TDF. He wont be contesting GC or stages.

(Louis 55th @-1:22)