'Dale

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Interesting mini crack appearing below

Earlier this week, Israel Start-Up Nation director Rik Verbrugghe told Belgian newspaper La Dernière Heure that the four-time winner was not guaranteed a spot in the team’s eight-man line-up.

"He is a huge champion for whom I have a lot of respect, but his participation in the Tour de France is by no means self-evident," Verbrugge said.

"I expect there will be some clarity during this Dauphiné. He has made constant progress since the start of the season, but we would have liked his progress to be more exponential."

Chris Froome: I'm not going to win the Tour de France this year | Cyclingnews

"No, no, no, no, no. I'm not talking about winning the Tour de France in a few weeks' time, that's for sure," Froome said at the start of stage 5 on Thursday. 

"I'm very much focused on just returning back to my former level and taking one step at a time. I don't go from this level to winning the Tour de France in a few weeks."

"I know where I've come from. I know that a year ago I was on a bike racing before I could even walk properly again. So just to be here in the Dauphiné, walking properly and having no issues and being in the race is great progress already.

"I’m looking at those measurements myself. I know other people don’t see those measurements, because they don’t see everything else behind the scenes."

While Froome admits he won’t be racing for the yellow jersey when the Tour begins on July 26, there are doubts whether he’ll be on the start line at all. Earlier this week, Israel Start-Up Nation director Rik Verbrugghe told Belgian newspaper La Dernière Heure that the four-time winner was not guaranteed a spot in the team’s eight-man line-up.

"He is a huge champion for whom I have a lot of respect, but his participation in the Tour de France is by no means self-evident," Verbrugge said.

"I expect there will be some clarity during this Dauphiné. He has made constant progress since the start of the season, but we would have liked his progress to be more exponential."

5 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

Interesting mini crack appearing below

Earlier this week, Israel Start-Up Nation director Rik Verbrugghe told Belgian newspaper La Dernière Heure that the four-time winner was not guaranteed a spot in the team’s eight-man line-up.

As a champion with a champion's mindset you don't admit weakness or entertain the possibility of losing until it is impossible. I reckon Chris has had that epiphone recently. Makes sense.

It doesn't make for great reading by the general public of course - we see his mouth writing cheques his legs can't cash and we lose a bit of confidence in the man.

Personally I'd like to see his succeed again before he retires. Goooo Froomedawg ????

Look I think he is very meticulously gauging his efforts - if he was giving it B@LLS you would see it in ITT as he is usually soaked and looks like that dude from 0% bodyfat. Froome is slowly building and strengthening - the dude clearly loves the tech and knows exactly what is happening in his body and his efforts - remember how he was deemed some sort of robot or skybot or whatever the haters want to call it... he knows exactly what he is doing.

9 hours ago, TNT1 said:

Pffftttt! I bet the tue for his asthma meds is already in the works for July.

Amen... Speak reality in all this naivety..

14 minutes ago, McD23 said:

Amen... Speak reality in all this naivety..

Hehehe

You’re naïve to think the comments shared here come from a place of naïvety. ????

???? And you are either a fanboy that is okay with ANY doping or you are a hater that believes all the rules are being horribly broken.????

37 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Maybe the bilharzia came back. Anyone checked that yet?

I am sure they have

Injuries like his are very hard - almost impossible to come back from - Joseba Beloki is a perfect example of that as history has shown but in a way I dont think he did himself any favours by saying he was going to win a 5th Tour this year as a goal. New team, support staff, support riders and coming back from injury to name a few. Around April you know where you are in terms of form, by Dauphine / Suisse you are 100% aware of where you are form wise into the Tour. 

Progression he has made is incredible from barely being able to walk at the TDF presentation after his crash, will he get back to 2016/17 form which was his peak. Time will tell but that's alot of progression post injury and age to win the Tour when you see the level now being smashed out daily. 

I reckon his 2021 goals were just media stunts to get people talking about him and ISN.

He knows and they know where is is. What we are told and what the real plan is are probably 2 very different beasts. It would be cool to see him go to Spain as a domestique and then try to gain some 2022 TDF form.

I miss the running man, but tbh the sport has some awesome characters currently and the racing is FIERCE. So in a way I miss him in a nostalgic kind of way, as I definitely don't miss the 'old' style of racing Sky/Ineos used for years.

With their 'new' aggressive stage winning, attacking racing as well as the current crop of contenders across the board having little to no regard for the yesteryear playbook, racing is way more exciting and spicy. 

So did ISN sign him for his projected future performances, like Grand Tour wins, or for being Chris Froome, the name and the champion that he is and the media and public attention he will bring to the team?

I wish his agent was still on The Hub.

Edited by kosmonooit
Added ?

44 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I reckon his 2021 goals were just media stunts to get people talking about him and ISN.

He knows and they know where is is. What we are told and what the real plan is are probably 2 very different beasts. It would be cool to see him go to Spain as a domestique and then try to gain some 2022 TDF form.

I miss the running man, but tbh the sport has some awesome characters currently and the racing is FIERCE. So in a way I miss him in a nostalgic kind of way, as I definitely don't miss the 'old' style of racing Sky/Ineos used for years.

With their 'new' aggressive stage winning, attacking racing as well as the current crop of contenders across the board having little to no regard for the yesteryear playbook, racing is way more exciting and spicy. 

Fully agree

Going to new team, that is trying to elevate their profile at WT level... It will sound silly to say that he was only there to be the road captain...  

I love the racing the past 2 seasons.  Apart from the MvdP, WvA and TP impact, the courage the "minions" (aka the breakaway) shows is inspirational. Their winning rate even more so. 

Success breeds success.  Love it!!!