Attempted mugging in Tokai

megdobson

I have been "attempted" jacked twice, once I guy ran after me with a huge panga!!! After he took a swing at me luckily missing me hitting my wheel so hard he bent the rim( road bike) when I reported it the officials response was..... So nothing was taken???

Second time there was a noose set head height on a drop off, made out of cable, there was a tree cut down and placed so if I saw it I would grab the " tree" to stop myself....obviously pulling me into the noose...with 2 fu%#€# sitting at the bottom ,went to local police station there response was needless to say less than ideal,"oh ja we believe it's happening in the area" basically yes we know oh well,!!

WTF??!!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the Fred says tokai, but up here with my experiences personally i can tell you the officials don't give a rats ass.

Yoh, dipslick...

:-/

Trust me you don't know how your adrenaline kicks in when chased with Huge panga, he hit my wheel so hard when I got to a safe enough distance and stopped, I could not push my bike the wheel was so bent, but I did not feel it when riding away, I had to call the wife to fetch me.

This really upsets me. I honestly don't think I will ever take my boys to go ride in Tokai. Given that they are only 6 and 4, I can't imagine anything happening to them. Durbanville hills, koeberg, etc it is then...

Jaak, I'm sorry to hear anyone say that... I do however understand your point of looking out for your kids' safety.

More reason why a high standard of safety needs to be set in the park!

@JaakCT, exactly what I will be doing when on holiday in Cape Town March/April next year.

Will also definitely include Jonkershoek, Oak Valley and Lebanon trails.

Security needs to be beefed up and SANparks need to come to the party! End of story.

" alert official of any suspicious rats....... ," we would not have these issues if the ." officials" gave a rats ass.... Even when we get systematically getting hit

dude, the park is massive. It'd be impossible to patrol every corner and bend. Security needs to come from everybody's eyes on the lookout, with swift action when something is spotted.

Also, these fools are cowards. They go for easy targets. Stay in groups, be alert. Don't go out riding with valuables like wads of cash and fancy gadgets. Just keep it simple and ride with buddies. You should be trying to do this anyways for many other reasons, like learning from each other and stoke.

If you have any idea about the Cape hills you'll understand that it is impossible to fence off and control the entire area.

If you are worried about security for the sake of children, the rather head out to Jonkershoek or other private trails where there is secure access control.

Just please do not start taking weapons and guns out riding. You will only end up hurting yourself and others.

Normally, these little rodents act in groups and thus as soon as a couple are caught and sitting just down the road in Polsmoor, their buddies will hopefully move off back to terrorising some pensioners and soft targets elsewhere.

Or they are also welcome to try their luck in my neck of the woods, where there are some serious hollowpoints waiting along with just about everybody and his dog being tactically trained.

Please guys, respect for each other, we are the victims after-all.. Let's keep this discussion in perspective.

While some situations are really extreme (as pointed out above), please understand that the stakes in Tokai have not risen to the need for weapons or violence. Plans are already in place to prevent crime from settling in this area and that is priority for now!!

I'll update this thread as info becomes available, but please have some understanding for others and what they say, this is about our safety while doing what we love.

Please guys, respect for each other, we are the victims after-all.. Let's keep this discussion in perspective.

While some situations are really extreme (as pointed out above), please understand that the stakes in Tokai have not risen to the need for weapons or violence. Plans are already in place to prevent crime from settling in this area and that is priority for now!!

I'll update this thread as info becomes available, but please have some understanding for others and what they say, this is about our safety while doing what we love.

A few more DH'ers in full body armour and full face helmets on the prowl to headbutt these creatures into next week should about do it, the heft of some of the DH'ers that I've seen in Tokai would make them run in the opposite direction though.w00t.gif w00t.gif

Hi guys, I moved to CT last week and have been training at Tokai in the mornings on my own. After reading this it makes me want to urgently find a group who ride before work (5-7). I'm training for the Epic next year so it would be great to meet up with a group and learn some new routes. Anyone looking for a training partner?

Perhaps the robber will think twice before trying anything again. Kudos to whoever it was who klapped himthumbup1.gif

For those concerned re safety for their kids - if you ride during the busy weekend periods, you are probably a bit safer. I'll still take my kid there but maybe some pepper spray as well...ph34r.png

Hi guys, I moved to CT last week and have been training at Tokai in the mornings on my own. After reading this it makes me want to urgently find a group who ride before work (5-7). I'm training for the Epic next year so it would be great to meet up with a group and learn some new routes. Anyone looking for a training partner?

I train in the suburbs and Tokai most mornings from 4/4:30 to 7 and haven't had any incidents in Tokai, or on Zwaanswyk road doing intervals. .touch wood they are not expecting a large amount of traffic/bike choice at that time of day.

There is also a Engen crew that asseble in Claremont at 5am most mornings for road rides. Strength of group is pretty strong, but you are not obligated to work...and can sit in fairly comfortably.