Absa Cape Epic to impose lifetime ban for doping and increase in competition testing

slabs

The Absa Cape Epic, the most televised mountain bike stage race in the world, has announced that it will tighten its rules regarding anti-doping by introducing a lifetime ban for future offenders in the wake of the first high-profile doping case in South African mountain biking.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are so biased! How do you expect him to be an effective coach if he hasn't tried out PEDs firsthand? Really!

:-D

IRONY with capital letters. In "masters" too - at an age that "I was young and stupid and pressed into it" can no longer be used as an excuse. For his sake I hope he has a good (non post dated) doctors note.

Good that they start testing amateurs / non-elite riders. However it will open a big can of worms for those who are competitive AND take all kinds of medicine (for apparent legitimate reasons). To those who are not taking 'medicine' for legitimate health reasons: Good!!! Testing outside the elite groups is LONG overdue!

It's the first time I've heard of someone being pinned for Boldenone (not one of the usual suspects) so I looked it up.

According to Wikipedia "It has a very long half-life, and can show up on a steroid test for up to 1.5 years, due to the long undecylenate ester attached to the parent steroid. Trace amounts of the drug can easily be detected for months after discontinued use."

Well there you go, of course no self-respecting doper would touch this stuff - the glow period is frikking huge.

The only way Mr Collin could have taken this stuff is (1) if he had not done his research or (2) if he thought he'd never be tested.

Yes, so glad to hear the amateur ranks will be tested now as well. As soon as a decent easy-to-use HGH test becomes available then we might just see some serious numbers.

Good that they start testing amateurs / non-elite riders. However it will open a big can of worms for those who are competitive AND take all kinds of medicine (for apparent legitimate reasons). To those who are not taking 'medicine' for legitimate health reasons: Good!!! Testing outside the elite groups is LONG overdue!

The problem is that we as amateurs don't really pay too much attention to what we're putting in our bodies. And why should we? It's not like our careers depend on it.

As an example: I got sick a week or so before Die Burger. I stayed in bed for a few days and doped myself up on Sinutab, Coryx and whatever else I could find. By the Wednesday before the race I was feeling a bit better, did one practice ride and then Die Burger. I wasn't in great condition and let go some awesome snotters, but still managed to hold on to my group.

If I had been tested, I'm guessing I would have tested positive for something illegal. Under the Epic's rules, had I been caught, I would have been banned for life.

In my opinion, it's kind of absurd to hold amateur athletes to the same standards as professionals.

The problem is that we as amateurs don't really pay too much attention to what we're putting in our bodies. And why should we? It's not like our careers depend on it.

As an example: I got sick a week or so before Die Burger. I stayed in bed for a few days and doped myself up on Sinutab, Coryx and whatever else I could find. By the Wednesday before the race I was feeling a bit better, did one practice ride and then Die Burger. I wasn't in great condition and let go some awesome snotters, but still managed to hold on to my group.

If I had been tested, I'm guessing I would have tested positive for something illegal. Under the Epic's rules, had I been caught, I would have been banned for life.

In my opinion, it's kind of absurd to hold amateur athletes to the same standards as professionals.

not if they also earn prize money - some are sponsored heavily too