Thule Clip on 9103 Bike rack - Help need securing bike(s)

breaker

So decided to get one of these as my options where very limited. I drive a hatchback with no tow bar. Anyway bought it and had the guy fit it. Unfortunately I didn't have my bike with and was in bit of a rush. Got home, packed for holiday and now its time to put the bike on. Its the 3 bike rack, so I put the bike on the slot closest to the car, strap the 2 rubber straps over the cross bar of the bike, but now can't understand how I only have one auxiliary strap to secure the bike. With just that one strap the pedals and wheels where just too loose. Also the pedals were now able to scratch the car, so I placed it on the middle slot and got some old shoe laces to tie the wheels down.

Is this how its supposed to be or am I missing something.

Also just my luck, I get stopped in a roadblock... The Oriciferr tells me that my bike is blocking my number plate, he was kind enough to not give me a fine. But now I need an additional number plate, really?

Any suggestions?

Edited by breaker