road bike

rock

spend more money on frame or groupset?

thinking along the lines of the groupset being a heavier 'part' of the bike than the frame? as you you could spend 1000's more on a frame and not really save any weight but you could get a better group and save several 100g?

depends what you're upgrading from and how far you intend on upgrading in the long run.

If you want to continue upgrading until you get a super light bike and your frame isn't going to get you there then you should consider upgrading the frame. It could also be a lot stiffer depending on what you get.

groupset will be a good option if you want to drop some weight without changing everything.

What frame are you riding now? Could also make a big difference depending on how big the upgrade is.

Although it also depends on what you're upgrading to, from 105 to Dura Ace or from Tiagra to 105, costs will vary a lot and then a frame may be a better option.

building something form scratch, juts need a frame and a groupset.....so was juts trying to think how to split the budget between the two.....as in cheaper alloy frame and high end groupset or carbon one and cheaper groupset.....

FRAME, the car chassis is more important than the engine and suspension, the same with the bike, the frame is where its at, determines, handeling, climbing ability amd overall comfort, its easier to upgrade the groupset, and other components as you go on.

try and find a groupset and frame that are more or less the same standard. Unless you do plan on upgrading in the future, then get a good frame, not as consumable as a groupset.

For me the frame is the bike. Everything else is just an add-on. And groupset - especially drivetrain - is more of a 'consumable'.

But maybe you get best of both worlds if you go with a Hongfu or Dengfu frame, then you've freed up the cash to get the groupset you really want?

I would consider a blank carbon frame if I was in your position. Frame, wheel set and then grouppo in that order for me. Your frame is the foundation which you build the rest of the bike on. Get something useful and you can upgrade bits as you ride it.