RIP Burry Stander

Ranga

Just finished the Cape Town memorial ride.

I had tears in my eyes quite a few times. Words can't really express the feeling of loss that was prevalent among the riders.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just over a day old and already this thread is slowing down. Unavoidable, I know. Goes to show, it matters not who you are or what you did with your time that you were given, in time everyone is forgotten and faded from memory. Man does not fear death. Man fears not being remembered after dying. In time everyone is forgotten.

Not slowing down. Many of those who would post here have been at one of the organised rides tonight and taken the comfort of chatting to fellow cyclists about what all of this means to us. Cause let's be honest, we've all had our families and non cycling relatives and close friends look at us wondering why we are taking this so badly. They can not seem to grasp that it's like we have lost a family member and getting together with other cyclists tonight has allowed many of us to just share a common feeling that is resonating through all of us at this moment. Talking to random strangers who are exactly where you are in dealing with this, sharing experiences about who Burry was for each of us, has made this event something that will transcend even this thread. Doing the ride, knowing it had a purpose, sharing this with those who were there was a release that has made this awkward sensation of coping with these unexplained emotions a little more sensible. Even if for no reason other than knowing we are not alone feeling like this.

Burry's legacy will live and ride on!

Taxi driver to face charges of culpable homicide in Burry Stander case

by VeloNation Press at 4:23 PM EST 0 comments

Categories: Pro Cycling

/images/print.gif

Police confirm court appearance set for Monday

http://news.velonation.com/Men/MTB/original/Stander_Burry_winningU23_worlds.jpgA day after the 2009 world under 23 mountainbike champion Burry Stander was killed in a traffic accident, it has been confirmed that the driver of the taxi which hit him will be charged with his death.

The 25 year old rider was returning from a training ride in Shelley Beach on the KwaZulu-Natal coast when the accident happened. It appears that the taxi turned across his path, colliding with the rider and taking his life.

According to News24, the police and the Directorate of Public Prosecutions spoke about the matter and a decision was taken to charge the driver with culpable homicide. Colonel Jay Naicker confirmed the news today, and the driver will appear before Port Shepstone Magistrate's Court on Monday.

According to Durban's Daily News, eyewitness Kevin Govender said that Stander's family and wife were at the scene very soon after the crash.

He said that the taxi driver was confused and that it ‘seemed like he did not know what to do.’

“He told me it was his bad luck and said that he had not seen the cyclist and did not know how the accident happened,” he said.

Stander’s passing has led to tributes throughout the sport, with many top riders expressing their sympathies and sense of loss. Others from cycling also did likewise. A group ride will be held in the area this weekend to commemorate his memory.

Stander won two editions of the Cape Epic race with racing partner Christop Sauser. He was fifth in the 2012 Olympic Games cross country even

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13625/Taxi-driver-to-face-charges-of-culpable-homicide-in-Burry-Stander-case.aspx#ixzz2H2uRHFyd

Just over a day old and already this thread is slowing down. Unavoidable, I know. Goes to show, it matters not who you are or what you did with your time that you were given, in time everyone is forgotten and faded from memory. Man does not fear death. Man fears not being remembered after dying. In time everyone is forgotten.

this thread may slow down but burry will never be forgotten . RIP CHAMP

Probably find a lot of guys where out riding yesterday & last night. Better way to remember him than from in front of a computer...

Edited by Ryanpmb

I have been awake been awake since 4 this morning contempating life and I am still struggeling to comprehend that Burry is no longer with us.

Burry was my Hero. He was also a Hero to thousands of other people as well.

Our Heros always get up from a big fall or wipe out. They come back from and injury stronger than ever before... that is just what Heros do!

I have a hole in my heart as my Hero can no longer get up!

I had the pleasure of chatting to Burry twice and he was a fantastic person. For all his achievements, he was extremely humble and easy to chat to. He took the time to take interest in others.

Charles, Cherise, Duane and the rest of the family, I can't imagine what you guys are going through now.

Our prayers are with you!

I have been awake been awake since 4 this morning contempating life and I am still struggeling to comprehend that Burry is no longer with us.

Burry was my Hero. He was also a Hero to thousands of other people as well.

Our Heros always get up from a big fall or wipe out. They come back from and injury stronger than ever before... that is just what Heros do!

I have a hole in my heart as my Hero can no longer get up!

I had the pleasure of chatting to Burry twice and he was a fantastic person. For all his achievements, he was extremely humble and easy to chat to. He took the time to take interest in others.

Charles, Cherise, Duane and the rest of the family, I can't imagine what you guys are going through now.

Our prayers are with you!

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight. ~Kahlil Gibran

Find closure

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight. ~Kahlil Gibran

Very true

Many people around us die and get killed, often we are shocked but never are we really heart broken.

Celebrities and sports starts have a different effect on us, we invite them into our homes and we allow them to steal our hearts.

Burry was a true South African who did this country proud, the consummate professional and the darling of our MTB community, he entrenched himself in our hearts and we all made a connection with him.

The unnecessary outcome of this tragedy has us all in shock and we lost a hero with whom we all had a connection with, whether it being watching Burry racing or even a direct interaction with him, he touched all of us in some way and managed to occupy a little space in each one of our hearts.

He will really be missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0rHPT8q-CM

Credit to Davide Aitor for this great video.

Edited by Dangle

Not losing momentum at all. Forgotten? dunno, it seemed like the other ~1499 people at the cape town memorial ride were having the most sombre friday evening of their lives. Less than a day's notice and streets were marshalled by traffic police and even tannie helen was in her kit and on her bike showing her due regard. That sort of thing doesn't just happen for anyone.

Only thing slowing down is your ability to comprehend what's appropriate for the thread...maybe save the friday night philosophy for somewhere else. The rest of us are pretty busy unpacking what happened on thursday, even if the post count doesn't reflect it.

RIP Burry....

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/397602_545116798833710_1411806614_n.jpg

The thread will slow down. We will say what we have to say. After is just the remembering.

Went out for a road ride this morning. Cyclists were very friendly and a lot of greeting going on. That sense of community I think.

It will take a long time for people to work through this. Imagine what the family is dealing with. That is where my thoughts lie at the moment. We can only hope they get some help from all the wishes sent their way.

That's a great video tribute Dongle, fighting back the tears here. Which is not a bad thing, thought I had become an emotionally hardened old fart.

This week I was just watching the 2009 XC World Champ race in Oz (still on cycletorrents btw) where Burry won his U23 title. They had him in the studio to help with the commentary, he was so sussed. Topic of 29''ers came up, those days few and far between, think only Todd was riding one .His comment was he hadn't ridden one himself as yet, I had a chuckle.