Tribute to Burry

mrbaker

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill never forget going to the Linkhills Shopping Centre a day or so after Burrys passing and being struck by all the flowers placed outside the Waterfall Concept Store. My heart goes out to the Stander Family today! Thinking of you Duane.

Ill never forget going to the Linkhills Shopping Centre a day or so after Burrys passing and being struck by all the flowers placed outside the Waterfall Concept Store. My heart goes out to the Stander Family today! Thinking of you Duane.

I made a point to buy a few bike goodies from the Waterfall Concept Store last year, just for Burry, and I usually support a different LBS.

And here's the #iRide4Burry arm band I got from my last visit to the MTB World Cup in PMB.

49170296_10157030143734791_2197029574682

I'm itching to get another mtb just to be able to wear that arm band again when I ride.

• 9 months later...

Thanks, Johnson, for sharing that. I did not even know that existed.

I live close to Waterfall and see that shop on a weekly basis and I don't think I have turned into that shopping center once without sparing a thought.

Sadly, it's closed now, but the big mural of Burry is still up in the window but for how long is anyone's guess...till they find a new tenant I suppose.

I do miss seeing Burry's name pop up everywhere, winning this, winning that, doing so good here and there.

Does anyone know what happened to the taxi driver?

• 2 weeks later...

The case prosecutors/SAPS were quietly letting the whole thing fade away until the family got tough and demanded action. The driver was convicted and received a jail term sentence. I hope he met Big Bubba in a dark cell..............

The case prosecutors/SAPS were quietly letting the whole thing fade away until the family got tough and demanded action. The driver was convicted and received a jail term sentence. I hope he met Big Bubba in a dark cell..............

Yes I hope he did meet babba the butch.

I was on the South Coast early December last year and the missus and I joined a group ride at the Burry Stander Bike Park, led by Charl, Burry's dad.

Even though his memory sometimes fades in between the rat race, over there it is very much alive and still celebrated daily. The shop is filled with Burry memrobilia from Cape Epic jerseys to his London 2012 skinsuit, pictured below.

On top of every climb and down in every valley floor there was talk about how fast Burry did that section. This was his training grounds. The locals are still asking Charl to upload Burry's Garmin files to Strava. He just smirks. I guess he knows what a special athlete his kid was. He doesn't need KOMs to prove that.

post-7796-0-13464500-1572597074_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

7 years ago........................ Still very sorely missed. O how all MTB results would have been so different. 7 years ago CX was not so big, I am sure Burry would have excelled at CX as well.

This thread does bring back memories hey

I remember last century when Burry was still a laatjie and he used to ride XC and DH up to SA national level, just like his old man...

No doubt those days contributed to his skills as a XC racer