Ghost bike memorials for fallen cyclists

Kanga

Since Burry's fatal accident we have seen a lot of images on the net of him, Ride for Burry images etc, all of them them very sad to see.

The one that I find most somber is of the cyclist riding with the empty Ghost Bike beside him in the JHB ride

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o173/Kangawolf/e059e70ec00bc642ed0fb36987ae91ae.jpg

Now I might be spouting garbage here but I have just done some reading with regards to Ghost bikes and although it might be a wild idea, I honestly think if there were a Ghost bike at every site a cyclist went down in SA it would send a hell of a message.

I know, the practical issues of them being stolen, cost, legality etc are huge. But just think, as you ride by the spot, its a fitting memorial, AND it causes you to be that little bit more carefull each time. As a driver you are also a little more carefull as you drive past, and it really creates awareness.

http://ghostbikes.org/ have look here.

Practical issues will be a tough one, yes old bikes just resprayed, but I would imagine they will get stolen, and could serve a better purpouse being given to underprivilaged children. .pvc frame bikes with hula hoops as wheels? Cardboard frame dipped in resin, cement moulding? Who knows, but there has to be a solution.

Edited by Kanga

Ghost bike idea should work, but it didn't last long in Kalk Bay at all. Guess other areas of the world respect that it is a memorial. Here it looks like a white bike ready for repossession. Such a great message though which would be epic to get going in a long term way if we can figure out how to lock the bikes down permanently.

Ghost bike idea should work, but it didn't last long in Kalk Bay at all. Guess other areas of the world respect that it is a memorial. Here it looks like a white bike ready for repossession. Such a great message though which would be epic to get going in a long term way if we can figure out how to lock the bikes down permanently.

Agreed something like this would have some serious logistic issues.

Bikes being, errr borrowed is going to be issue one, a pvc pipe bike that is whitealready with no real use or value, maybe even a cement molding.

Riding koeberg today with a mate who happens to be a MP for the opposition spoke about losing 3 members of his family(uncle ++ )in one accident a few years back reckons he would love something like this idea and will help.

There should be 3 steps

1) figure out if its a good idea

2) work out the logistics, i.e how, what materials, who

3) implementation and maintanance

I am not fond of the idea.I find those little white crosses along Slang Kop and Ou Kaapse quite macabre

Indeed, I think part of the idea that it is a little disturbing, but then the deaths are disturbing.

Part of the problem is that cyclists and motorists often dont find it disturbing enough.

i think this is a good idea. It might be a little tough trying this in SA but i think if it could work it will carry a very strong message not only to Motorists but to cyclist as well

I love the idea, perhaps weld everthing together on the bike, cement it down/weld the bike to a pole, etc.

That is Grant Usher pushing the ghost bike. Burry is also the current single speed world champion (2012) and the first as far as I know who have passed away. Here's a pic with Robby Hunter riding next to Grant

post-4329-0-29310200-1357496657_thumb.jpg

post-4329-0-13205100-1357496689_thumb.jpg

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

Does anyone know much about vibracrete molds?

I am sure one could make durable, to heavy to steal, not worth enough to steal "bike" that is still instantly recognizable.

I love the idea, perhaps weld everthing together on the bike, cement it down/weld the bike to a pole, etc.

That is Grant Usher pushing the ghost bike. Burry is also the current single speed world champion (2012) and the first as far as I know who have passed away. Here's a pic with Robby Hunter riding next to Grant

Harrowing images

Thank you