Training watch / HR monitor for Vitality

jabezz

Sorry, seem to have posted in the wrong Thread initially :-/

This has probably been asked before, but I can't seem to find the specifics I'm looking for.

I basically want an entry-level watch/monitor that will integrate with Vitality.

My requirements are: Heart Rate / Speed / Distance / Water Resistance (bonus)

I run / cycle / gym / swim (maybe)

For the cycling I don't care for much more than the Heart Rate, since my cycling computer tells me the rest and Vitality only cares about the Heart Rate anyways?!? (correct?)

The models I've been looking at:

Polar:

RS300X (Doesn't include foot pod)

FT80 (Doesn't include foot pod, not sure if HR monitor included)

RC3 GPS (Expensive, Doesn't include foot pod, big, not sure if HR monitor included)

Garmin:

FR70 (Looks good, wireless sync, doesn't have GPS, not water resistant)

Forerunner 210 (Doesn't include foot pod, does it sync with vitality?, not water resistant)

Any advice / guidance would be appreciated. Also let me know if I overlooked some models and why.

I'd probably buy from TotalSports for the Discovery discount. But can probably look for 2nd sensors?

Hi Jabezz

all the Garmin products are water resitant, either to 1m for half an hour (iPX7) or 50m depending on the model. If you basically just want to record additional HR info for the Vitality points i would say get the FR70. The forerunner 210 doesnt have a footpod as the GPS gives you speed and distance, so no need for a foot pod

The 3 brands that Vitality awards points for are Garmin, Polar and Nike.

For Garmin it doesn't necessarily have to be all about HR - e.g. my Garmin Edge unit doesn't register heart rate - it's about distance/time covered.

If you're going to buy from Totalsports, remember they are now part of the Vitality program as well, and so if you go onto the Discovery Vitality website and register for their HealthyGear benefit you get from 10% to 25% off all Totalsports purchases depending on your Vitality status.

Edited by tombeej

Sorry, seem to have posted in the wrong Thread initially :-/

This has probably been asked before, but I can't seem to find the specifics I'm looking for.

I basically want an entry-level watch/monitor that will integrate with Vitality.

My requirements are: Heart Rate / Speed / Distance / Water Resistance (bonus)

I run / cycle / gym / swim (maybe)

For the cycling I don't care for much more than the Heart Rate, since my cycling computer tells me the rest and Vitality only cares about the Heart Rate anyways?!? (correct?)

The models I've been looking at:

Polar:

RS300X (Doesn't include foot pod)

FT80 (Doesn't include foot pod, not sure if HR monitor included)

RC3 GPS (Expensive, Doesn't include foot pod, big, not sure if HR monitor included)

Garmin:

FR70 (Looks good, wireless sync, doesn't have GPS, not water resistant)

Forerunner 210 (Doesn't include foot pod, does it sync with vitality?, not water resistant)

Any advice / guidance would be appreciated. Also let me know if I overlooked some models and why.

I'd probably buy from TotalSports for the Discovery discount. But can probably look for 2nd sensors?

Forerunner 210 have mine for gyming and non cycling exercise

If you're going to buy from Totalsports, remember they are now part of the Vitality program as well, and so if you go onto the Discovery Vitality website and register for their HealthyGear benefit you get from 10% to 25% off all Totalsports purchases depending on your Vitality status.

I think the HealthyGear may only apply to Adidas gear.

The 3 brands that Vitality awards points for are Garmin, Polar and Nike.

I couldn't find that Vitality supported Nike+ anywhere?

Aren't you automatically registered for HealthyGear with the DiscoveryCard?

I couldn't find that Vitality supported Nike+ anywhere?

Aren't you automatically registered for HealthyGear with the DiscoveryCard?

Yup it supports Nike Polar and Garmin. And no you have to activate the various benefits.

Edited by covie

I think the HealthyGear may only apply to Adidas gear.

Both

OK let me just go back and check that again before succumbing to case of foot in mouth...

Edited by tombeej

As Covie says, you have to go onto the Vitality site and register for HealthyGear.

You select the 'HealthyLiving' section and in there you'll find:

1. HealthyFood

2. HealthyGear

3. HealthyCare

May as well register for all three and benefit from all those rewards.

Minion, I just went back and checked. You're right, Adidas gear only :)