Be careful of reckless drivers

Bianchi

And here I was thinking that being on a mtb kept me safe from reckless and irresponsible drivers.... so apparently not.

I was thinking that we could keep abreast of the reckless drivers and (obviously report them) keep tabs on them for the future - because lightning often strikes twice.

Silver singlecab bakkie, probably a Hilux. Driven by a fat oomie with an obvious sense of road rage. BC-03-BN GP

So I was riding down the Silverlakes road, kept to the dirt track on the side, but moved into the road opposite Newmark Estate due to the little bridge thingy, when this bakkie comes flying past on the wrong side of the road and coming rather close to hitting me. I wave my arm to indicate to him he should drive on the other side of the road, he pulls his finger at me and 50m later, I hear his tyres, then see him reversing to me [at speed nogals]. I ride to the entrance of the estate there and he comes stopping there, jumps out of his bakkie and starts to harass me, swearing at me and coming rather close to threatening me. I'm just glad he didn't physically assault me, he was three times my size.

Edit: And yeah, all of this will have been caught on CCTV footage, as it happened right in front of the estate.

Edited by Bianchi

You should have kicked him on the shin and ran away! That would teach him not to look for trouble with small guys!!whistling.gif

the offiial hub standpoint is that you the cyclist were somehow to blame for his aggression. Were you not perhaps a roadie that cycled in large peletons and three abreast in your previous life? It is about kharma really.

In the eyes of mr Fatso, you are the embodiment of all that is bad in cycling. The fact that you refused to cower down and be subservient to his enticement, but had the gall to revolt against his domination of the road only made it worse. Being unable to intimidate you with the bulk of his vehicle, he reverted to the last bastion of oppression, that of physical violence. Being unable to "Biff you one" in front of witnesses he did the next best thing, a lot of alpha male posing and posturing. (This is a natural animal reflex).

In the end his rage was not against you personally, but rather against everything cycling.

Edited by Witkop

That is not on -that road is known to be a bit of a problem sometimes - I have heard of a few incidents there. I also stick to the little path on the side but like you say, one needs to move onto the tar at certain points. Should have kicked the big Oomie in his shins (as mentioned above) and taken a duck into the estate. What a TJOP!

Hey, at least it never rainied! whistling.gif

I'm glad nothing happened to you. Don't be scared of Oomie, those big fat guys look good for a fight but in reality they easy to dish a snot Klap out to

Friend of mine told me of an incident yesterday where he was also pushed of the road by an inconsiderate driver.(on a road with a narrow yellow shoulder) He caught up to the guy at the next Traffic light and stopped next to the car. Next thing the driver winds down the passenger window and starts swearing at my friend, telling him that next time he'll drive over him. My friend (not known for keeping quiet), obviously responded. Light changed and my friend cycled off. Next moment the car cuts him off and drivers jumps out and rush at my friend. Unfortunately for driver, my friend believes that action speaks louder than words, and gave the driver a PK. He says the total shock on the drivers face was priceless and he just stood still as my friend calmly got on his bike and cycled off. A minute or so later the car came past him, and gave him a wider berth than necessary. Lesson learned, I think.

When asking why he did not test the SWAT Pepperspray I gave him for Xmas, he said he did not even think about using it, only thinking about it a while later.

When asking why he did not test the SWAT Pepperspray I gave him for Xmas, he said he did not even think about using it, only thinking about it a while later.

I'd be like "yay, finally got a reason to use my pepperspray!!!"

Friend of mine told me of an incident yesterday where he was also pushed of the road by an inconsiderate driver.(on a road with a narrow yellow shoulder) He caught up to the guy at the next Traffic light and stopped next to the car. Next thing the driver winds down the passenger window and starts swearing at my friend, telling him that next time he'll drive over him. My friend (not known for keeping quiet), obviously responded. Light changed and my friend cycled off. Next moment the car cuts him off and drivers jumps out and rush at my friend. Unfortunately for driver, my friend believes that action speaks louder than words, and gave the driver a PK. He says the total shock on the drivers face was priceless and he just stood still as my friend calmly got on his bike and cycled off. A minute or so later the car came past him, and gave him a wider berth than necessary. Lesson learned, I think.

wjat is a PK?

Got hit by a guy in a black jeep with his mirror into my back on Garsfontein road, going to brooklyn side in Pretoria in Dec, while doing

the Rapha festive 500, luckily I was mostly fine, but still guy did it on purpose, hit and then sped off.

One has to start to wonder if it's worth it still...trail running is starting to look very appealing.

You should have kicked him on the shin and ran away!

Shin, Nuts, Knee to the chest.. Even an Armbar or a guillotine choke for that matter...

I was driving yesterday in Midrand on the R101, when this freakin dutchman came with his Peugeot, all over the road, with some dubious intentions. SO as I proceeded to look right for traffic from Olifantsfontein to turn left, when I got the look from this oke... Eventually, it ended up in a chase, with him ending on top of a pavement.

So taking these two stories, for what? My new years resolution was to calm down. How can you do that with okes like these?

Shin, Nuts, Knee to the chest.. Even an Armbar or a guillotine choke for that matter...

I was driving yesterday in Midrand on the R101, when this freakin dutchman came with his Peugeot, all over the road, with some dubious intentions. SO as I proceeded to look right for traffic from Olifantsfontein to turn left, when I got the look from this oke... Eventually, it ended up in a chase, with him ending on top of a pavement.

So taking these two stories, for what? My new years resolution was to calm down. How can you do that with okes like these?

How do you know he's from Holland? Did you ask him, or did he have a Dutch sticker / emblem on his Peugeot? whistling.gif