the 1.5m gap is retarded

sadamhussein

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it definitely won't work when we cycle like these tjops. (tygervalley road durbanville)

post-3482-0-14806700-1358143384_thumb.jpgpost-3482-0-00038600-1358143385_thumb.jpg

Edited by ccc2

Just to counter your argument on one front.... someone showed us some stats here recently, there are more cyclists hit by motorcars than taxis. I haven't had any issues with taxis threatening my spot on the road, in all the 10 or 11 years I've cycled.

Of my 3 knock downs 2 were from the front (cars turning right infront of me ) and 1 (my latest ) from the rear

If the truck driver had adhered to the 1,5m rule I wouldn't have been knocked down - so go figure ???

It's back to the lack of policing our road rules for vehicle drivers and cyclists alike

i road in France where there is a 1m rule and beleive me it works - why ?

Because the road users respect each other and cyclists and thte rulesof the road are enforced and obeyed

Why 1.5m? That's a helluva gap. Why not 1.0 or 0.75?

In France it is 1m - if a cyclist is knocked down the driver of the vehicle is automattically to blame and has to prove his innocense

And it works beleive me I have ridden in France

Therein lies the problem.you are essentially trying to fight with the taxi with your carbon against his metal. What he is doing is wrong but until we stop trying to police traffic ourselves through aggression and prevention only makes people angrier and accidents more likely. Use your energy to raise awareness of the ineffectiveness of the traffic police rather

that is a poor attitude that i cannot understand. people just accept wrong-doing by others for fear of retribution. not me.

if everyone stood up against these thugs that hold us ransom, they'd think twice about it in future.

All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

I am not getting in to a gap discussion and what not.

two problems, lawlessness being the one.

Time for the cops to do their work and put the fear of law back in to people.

Problem number two.

Cyclists, they ride three, four, five abreast taking over the whole road, common courtesy says share the road.

Cheers.

Edited by Dangle

it definitely won't work when we cycle like these tjops. (tygervalley road durbanville)

post-3482-0-14806700-1358143384_thumb.jpgpost-3482-0-00038600-1358143385_thumb.jpg

and they probably brag after "doing some serious climbing work this morning"... morons.

My 2c worth -

As Dangle said, cops not doing their jobs properly in enforcing the law, especially w.r.t taxi's.

Also, as cyclists we are not doing our cause much good. Every time I get on my bike I ride past guys who are riding 2 or more abreast, or 2 abreast with a 1m gap in between them. And if you politely remind them to ride more to the left you are generally greeted with hostility.

Maybe if more cyclists out there politely chastised offending cyclists the peer pressure would help correct the attitudes / behavior of the cycling community at large. 1 part of the equation solved?

Also, when I'm out on the bike now, and a car stops at an intersection while I have right of way, instead of riding on head down because it was my right of way anyway, I give a courteous thank you to the motorist. I figure, trying to improve motorist/cyclist relations can't hurt the cause.

There was another photo of the same chops going up Tiekiedraai from Hillcrest side in exactly the same formation. (Close to the top, near the Flagpoles. Means they got pulled all the way up Tiekiedraai, sorta defeats the object of training)

Wonder what kind of training program they follow?

There was another photo of the same chops going up Tiekiedraai from Hillcrest side in exactly the same formation. (Close to the top, near the Flagpoles. Means they got pulled all the way up Tiekiedraai, sorta defeats the object of training)

and so the sport of road-downhilling is born

its difficult to make out their kit. i wonder if it wasn't the german track team?? i would expect them to get a pull up tiekie

clap.gif The size of their legs should've given them away! That's looks like the German track cycling team currently training in the Bellville velodrome and around. Also saw them last year being pulled up Tiekies from the other side.

Climbing actually detracts from their muscles so they get dragged up the hills.

i didn't take the photo but it was sent to me by a friend of a friend of a friend....i think this type of thing (photos of cycling transgressions) will become more prevalent.

i was cycling with my club yesterday. we were a large group on our way back from Hout Bay and we were riding past the flea market p eiland. we were in single file other than 1 youngster on a mtb, i didn't notice it but some of the riders said that one of the passing cars had the passenger on his cellphone camera. maybe he was capturing evidence of us riding on the road instead of the cycling lane AND we had 1 rider riding like an idiot.

The rule will work both ways - if there is a line of cars at a stop sign, a cyclist approaching should stay 1.5m away from the cars. I guess that means stopping at the back of the line.