Race entry fees

big.mamma

Still way cheaper than my old hobby golf.Halfway house meal and balls already more than race entry,that's not even the green fees

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell, racing is cheaper than stopping at all the coffee shops on a lazy Sunday ride. Not that coffee-flavour GU is quite like a good flat white.

Hell, racing is cheaper than stopping at all the coffee shops on a lazy Sunday ride. Not that coffee-flavour GU is quite like a good flat white.

Vanilla bean gu comes damn close!

Vanilla bean gu comes damn close!

I'll have to try it, Wheelerdealer - I might have some among the 20 or so sachets still hanging about from last year's race season! (Now I feel like a coffee-flavoured Steri-Stumpie, or have they withdrawn those from the market already? Who in hell calls a product steri-Stumpie anyway? It should have failed dismally by every marketers calculations.)

Just a general thought in terms of the cost of entries...

Medical tent at start/finish

Ambulance/s on the route

Petrol for the sweep vehicles

Water tables

Printing of race numbers

Food and compensation (if applicable) to foot marshals

Motorbike marshals

Fees to CSA

Fees to traffic department/s

Medal at finish

Venue hire

There are one or two others that I know I've forgotten to mention, but the above does add up. Now to put on an event, cover all the above costs and have something left for the chosen charity does, unfortunately, add up to the fees we pay. This does does mean that we can't all afford to race every weekend (some of us are down to max 4 events a year). Such is life.

Slight difference 200 million to make the movie 30 million to make the cinema, 5 million to build the restaurant 4 million to grow the food you eat, you are getting ripped a new one. Thats the bottom line, events are mainly sponsored as well so people are pocketing nice amounts for hardly any effort.

Yes and no. No difference to me - the person spending the money so cost of sales is irrelevant. Of course all that took more to make but the profits are also propertionatly bigger .... just making the point that would cant do much more with 'race entry' money (for entertainment)

• 8 years later...

Greyt Escape 1 Day entry fee R 550 - WTF !

Their previous event also for R550 - had only 41 entries (as far as I can see)

And they don't think the high entry fee is the reason !?

What makes me laugh with some of these race fees is the amount of work that gets done on the trail...
ie just about none.

We have several races in this area...year after year....same organisers...same boring routes...The trails/routes never get any attention (great trail up at a local hotel that is now pretty much going to ruin, hotel not bothered either after paying around R5k a kilometre! Lol) and it seems the race organiusers do as little as possible for the best possible return...

What makes me laugh with some of these race fees is the amount of work that gets done on the trail...

ie just about none.

We have several races in this area...year after year....same organisers...same boring routes...The trails/routes never get any attention (great trail up at a local hotel that is now pretty much going to ruin, hotel not bothered either after paying around R5k a kilometre! Lol) and it seems the race organiusers do as little as possible for the best possible return...

This is the ideal way to "fundraise" for trail maintenance especially for trails who dont have the huge financial backings like some do. Pity it is not seen as this kind of opportunity and promoted as such. maybe then the events will be better supported.