Black spade bikes good or bad?

Sitting slip

I must agree with Johnny Bravo. I have a Black Spade and a number of other 'Gonk' frames and they are so sweet! My BMC that cost 90k got a hole through the frame after a small stone jumped up while I was training - you think BMC will replace my frame? Fat chance! So why spend 100k or more when a Chinese frame does as good a job at a tenth of the price?!

Bike prices are ridiculous to say the least... more people should have this attitude but we all want to be like the Jones's at any cost with a name brand... We are all suckers for punishment.

Thanks for that website! Gonna check them out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I shopped around and did a lot of research on deep section wheels. The LBS could not help me with what I was looking for (tri combo) and kept trying to punt known brands at high prices. I then started to go the Chinese route and after a lot of looking around and chatting the BS guys got hold of me. I ended up buying a tri combo set exactly like what I wanted and all I can say is that they are awesome wheels. Plus the great service I got from them, I will without a doubt purchase my next frame from them. The big brands have there place with the guys with the mulla but for the majority of us, guys like Black Spade fill an important gap.

• 1 month later...

I have been scooping around at bikes that are not from the well known brAnds and came across black spade bikes. Looks cool or....

Yes also been seriously considering them 4 my next bike.... Looks the part, price is awesome and I like 2 be different than the rest... so here in Namibia, it sure will stand out from the crowd..!!

• 4 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Not a comment about bikes in particular but we have not begun to see what the chinese are capable of yet. Many expensive, branded frames are made in china. You are paying three times the price for the name only.

Not a comment about bikes in particular but we have not begun to see what the chinese are capable of yet. Many expensive, branded frames are made in china. You are paying three times the price for the name only.

Yes and no, there is a lot of R&D that goes into carbon, different grades and layups in certain areas etc. The thing with big brands is normally consistency which isnt always the case with the unbranded stuff. There are some good reputable Chinese manufacturers though so its about doing research before buying.

• 2 years later...

I'm reviving this thread since I'm in the process of getting myself a second hand Black Spade road bike.

Has there been any new developments wrt the brand ito bad quality, should I stay away or go all in?

I recently bought me a 2nd hand one. saddle is a bit too high for me and i need to cut it down abit for me to fit properly.