Brake binding Avid Juicy Ultimate 7's

HaydenWilson

Hey all.

the rear brake on bike is binding slightly. just enough to be super annoying. I know how to adjust pad contact but the problem is that it is only one pad which is binding against the rotor.

does anyone know how to adjust the pad contact for the pad that is closest to the wheel on Juicy ultimate 7's?

Cheers

Hayden

Remove the pads and slightly squeeze the leaver to see if both of the pistons are moving freely. Often one side gets jammed. If this is the case, first clean the caliper, then add a drop or 2 of either DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 brake fluid to the edge of the piston I then put a screwdriver through the caliper and restrict the movement of the moving piston so that the stuck piston will free itself. Once the stuck piston starts to move add another drop or 2 of brake fluid and repeat. Make sure you don't advance the piston(s) too far or they could fall out. Once they are both moving push both pistons back into their bore. Clean all the brake fluid off the caliper using isopropyl alcohol and refit the pads. The caliper should center itself better, which will result in less chance of the brakes binding.

the tech manual has a section on caliper alignment which I will try first as that sounds super simple. if that fails I will try supermils advice!

not sure if it is a bleeding issue as the brakes feel super sharp and not at all spongy....