Huck bikes, did they die?

braailegend

Dont see big 50lb+ "huck" bikes any more. Did skills increase or did bikes just get so good?

Know karpiel still pops them out, but whos the people riding it. Redbull rampage is done with even single crown forks.

Are there still guys doing stuff so big and new that they need these?

post-28006-0-77366600-1369219291_thumb.jpg

post-28006-0-74702600-1369219267_thumb.jpg

post-28006-0-61089500-1369219237_thumb.jpg

post-28006-0-25956400-1369219222_thumb.jpg

post-28006-0-81864300-1369219189_thumb.jpg

Most famous of them all was that nutter Bender.

Can't see the fun in the whole hucking thing.

Step 1: Throw self off mountain

Step 2: Fall hard

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit

Most famous of them all was that nutter Bender.

Can't see the fun in the whole hucking thing.

Step 1: Throw self off mountain

Step 2: Fall hard

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit

Dont think bender is so well-off these days. Probably wont get a era back. As consistanly being able to participate gets you profit, no more one hit wonders,haha.

But i think the redbull freeride aproach is better, with riders needing to participate in all events, from bergline to rampage.. And one fall takes you out.

there was a topic not so long ago on Pink Bike i think ... where the author said that it wasnt until about 3 years ago that everyone realized that Jan Karpiel was a nutter and had lost the plot ... and then began making lighter bikes with longer wheelbases ...

hahaha

I'll try find the article

...and those 24" x 3.0" gazzaloddi equipped hardtails with triple crown forks

IDC about wheel sizes,i would love to have 24"stylepitbikeMTB :thumbup:

http://gp1.pinkbike.org/p5pb9597616/p5pb9597616.jpg

That guy must be a hobbit as the 24" looks like a 26"er compared to him :ph34r:

dont know about size of jumps getting smaller.

watched "Where the Trail ends" Sorge and the lads jump off some pretty stupid stuff.

• 7 years later...

Hi guys, that bike on the Dam, Does anyone know what model it is please? its the 4th one down? Thanks

Hi guys, that bike on the Dam, Does anyone know what model it is please? its the 4th one down? Thanks

Had some time to do some extreme googling and I believe the bike is a Dreidoppel 666 Extreme. It is German made, and there were two generations made. The one in the pic may be the first generation.

Not sure as there is next to nothing on the bike. Hopefully this gives you something to work with.

The huck era was a double edged sword I think,

1) It proved what could be done on a bike and pushed the industry into that direction of making bikes strong and rideable. Those bikes were highly over engineered and absolute pigs to pedal. We now have bikes with usable suspension and geometry that works for a broader spectrum of riding.

2) It sucked. One hit do or die. Look the dudes that dropped the big stuff and basically paved the path to what we know today as freeride need to be given respect for what they did, but it was a bad time. Yes it started a movement but it was a circus, an act, or perceived as it. Look at the older Crusty Demons of Dirt MX videos and the New World Disorder videos, notice a trend?

It wasn’t until the whole ride, party, get laid thing kinda fizzled out, then it became more mainstream. And in term became more acceptable and the industry changed there bikes accordingly.

This comes from a 40 something year old who has a bit more experience than back then. But man being in my early 20 with a DH bike dropping of anything was fun! Being a goon in the veld dropping into erosion ditches was awesome.

Edited by Enduro newbie