Gear for Enduro 2.0

DR ◣◢

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys

I want to throw some ideas around with regards to a one bike quiver or getting a CX and a Trail bike. (I'll build a fun HT with spare parts and the parts I end up replacing on what will become my trailbike)

If I go for the 1 bike quiver, 

I'm going to build up a second wheelset because I'm busy ruining my WTB KOM23 set. 

They are built on some nice lightweight hubs and grippy 2.25'' tires. The idea is to swap them out depending on which riding I will be doing. 

I'm not a bike abuser but I'm dinging my current underweight rear wheel up pretty badly at the moment, and I think the 2.25's I'm running are about as wide as I can go without having tire rolling issues again. 

There are a couple of 26-29mm rim options at about 460-480 grams, which is light, will handle 2.4''tires and should make all round riding much more comfortable (I hope to be using these wheels most of the time. Kind of like the Lynne AMP 30, STANS ARCH MK 3 etc..)

However, since I will have a lightweight wheelset, I don't want to go to light and end up dinging up my "though" wheels anyway. 

Does anyone have experience with similar products? Are they hard enough or should I be looking at the ZTR FLOW kind of tough. 

Bump

Bump

I considered a Lyne wheelset. But I went with WTB rims in the end.

I'm abusive on my set of WTB Frequency i29's. I have hit square edge rocks at speed convinced I'm going to see a massive dent, but nothing. I'd gladly spend the money on a another set based on my current experience.

And I paid less than the price per rim on Lyne's website for their rims.

Bos, I'm a fan of the one bike quiver, but that being said, I have a trailbike and a hardtail, and I find that the hardtail is ridden more often as a singlespeed. If the pawpaw hits the fan and I need to replace both bikes, it will be with a single bike, something like the 29trance.

I did the simonsberg COntour on both bikes this year (plan was to ride hardtail, but discovered a crack in the frame near the end of day 1) and I realised halfway up the mountain on day2 that I'm having as much fun on the big bike as on the lightweight hardtail on D1, it helps that I was cruising anyway and not racing.

So if you go one bike, then two wheels make sense. I'll even go wider tyres on the wider trail wheels. ie2,4. If you smash wheels a lot, maybe consider a foam insert on the back wheel. I do that on the back wheel for silly rocky things like Ezel and klipberg, but take it out for normal riding. (My hack norris has found favour again after I drilled smaller holes in it), but the CSixx foamo is a way better execution of it.

in terms of Wide rims, The Spank rims are nice @grease Monkey has a set of wheels that stands up to his abuse. the mk3 Flow rims are lekker, but they seem to have had many bad batches. The Lyne wheels look nice, and the back up seems good according to my mates who ride their posts.

If I'm spoiling my Trance for christmas, it will be with a Lyne wheelset.

Bump

Edited by PhilipV

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend basic chest protection, Every time I bailed my chest/ribs take the brunt of the after effects, falling is part of riding but the sore ribs is not lekke, I am not into heavy riding just some trails here and there, Please help with something that would be easy to wear.

Can anyone recommend basic chest protection, Every time I bailed my chest/ribs take the brunt of the after effects, falling is part of riding but the sore ribs is not lekke, I am not into heavy riding just some trails here and there, Please help with something that would be easy to wear.

A skills lesson and more aggressive tires....

I have some American football lightweight pads that are ok - cover ribs and shoulders with a thin pad - check on Amazon.com - you can buy similar from motorcycle shops in SA

Edit - this is what I have - pretty comfortable - and warmer than a cycling shirt, but cooler than real protection - fine for shuttling and DH - never tried it on an XC ride. https://www.amazon.com/Combat-Hyperstrong-Fitted-Padded-Football/dp/B011DD0GT2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1541412777&sr=8-8&keywords=football+protective+shirt

Edited by V12man

I want to slowly upgrade my big bikes rather hefty and not very strong Roval wheels. The rims are already showing some dents and the rear hub drive side bearings have a bit of play developing. 

I will start at the back by buying a hub and later a rim and decent spokes. I want a 32h Boost rear hub. Obviously I'd like a DT 350 or a Hope but I am on a teeny budget so I have been looking at hubs like the Lyne and Rapide versions. They look like Hope knock offs from China and are pretty light. The Rapide one claims to have quality Enduro bearings. I am running a cheapish Funn 4 pawl hub on my HT and its been brilliant which makes me think a cheaper hub may not be a waste of money if I get the right one.

Any brilliant suggestions guys?

I'm impressed with the ECC hubs. 72 point (5°) engagement and the set came with both Shimano and XD freehub bodies. 

I'm impressed with the ECC hubs. 72 point (5°) engagement and the set came with both Shimano and XD freehub bodies. 

Sound good - where did you source them? Price? 

I want to slowly upgrade my big bikes rather hefty and not very strong Roval wheels. The rims are already showing some dents and the rear hub drive side bearings have a bit of play developing.

I will start at the back by buying a hub and later a rim and decent spokes. I want a 32h Boost rear hub. Obviously I'd like a DT 350 or a Hope but I am on a teeny budget so I have been looking at hubs like the Lyne and Rapide versions. They look like Hope knock offs from China and are pretty light. The Rapide one claims to have quality Enduro bearings. I am running a cheapish Funn 4 pawl hub on my HT and its been brilliant which makes me think a cheaper hub may not be a waste of money if I get the right one.

Funn are Novatech dressed up as Funn... so they will be descent. I would imagine Lyne or Rapide would be good options, and if they are not - thrle after sales service is top notch, so I'm sure you'd get good backup if things go pear shaped.