LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Ya, so where's the feedback?

You've had 2 days to read :devil: , so what's the verdict? Do I order one or not?

:)

We've got a teenager and 3 y.o. twins. One keeps you awake late, the other wakes you up early. We're shattered and can't wait for the Christmas holidays. Means that evening time reading is not high on the list of priorities!

I've only paged through the first part of the book. The recipes are in the second part, and I only got to the first one which was the fat shake and I got so excited I put the book down and typed the post above.

The book looks good, the few recipes I did look at look like they are worth knowing - courgettes used for noodles etc. That type of thing is worth knowing and you just need to pick up a couple of useful standbys to add to your armory to make the book worth getting.

Unfortunately they've gone for a very artistic look with the typeface and it makes the reading just a little bit hard. Black and white aerial may be less trendy, but it's easy to read. Esp. for tired folk.

I'd get it. Looks well worth it.

I'm going to take it on holiday and make good use of it.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You've had 2 days to read :devil: , so what's the verdict? Do I order one or not?

I also got. It is simply fantastic.

Insulin Sensitivity Test : n=1

Background:

About 18 months ago BG was pre diabetic due to eating/stress/ training/poor sleeping habits. Fasted is was between 7 and 8.8 mmol/L over a period of 2 months. I grew into LCHF type of eating.

Today: BG fine.

The test: No training done. Enough test strips. High carb eating. Minimal fat. Types of food: stuff I like.

Feeding 1: (morning) Lasagne homemade 2 cup. Tee with milk and 5 white rusks.

Results:

· < 1 hour BG 4,8mmol/L – not high enough

· Re-feed: 4 rusks, 2 cups of hot chocolate(white) this amounts to 10 tsp’s

· < 1 hour BG: 5,8mmol/L:::: < 2hours BG: 5,4mmol/L::::: .> 3 hours BG: 4,5 mmol/L -- close to base value.

That means: insulin secretion is constant not a high spike. Thus carbs in diet in order.

Feeding 2: Late afternoon: Bread 4 slices, Peanut butter , syrup. Also: Nutella, Hot choc, Pasta and mince.

Results:

· < 1 hour BG: 5,6mmol/L

· < 2 hours BG: 5,7 mmol/L

· > 3hours BG: 4,9 mmol/L – this is close to base value.

Interestingly on the 2nd feed: my BG stayed longer high, and took longer to return to base value. My base value is between 3,5 and 4,3 mmol/L.

This confirms that structured and cleaver eating of carbs is fine for me. Albeit with training (increase eating of carbs) or with no training reduce to ,100g/day. My food choice is personal, I am addicted to rusks and Nutella is out of this world.....

What I have realized is the following:

· LCHF eating is for health reasons. It educates you on carb consumption and learning from testing on yourself.

· One can over eat on LCHF. Fat does not always give you a full feeling. Thus the calorie does count..

· Intermitted fasting is very interesting..... will keep updated.

· Eating sucrose, glucose, maltodextrine during high intensity or long sessions does help. Insulin does not spike. I tested it with Nutella, banana and brown bread sandwich. I would change brown bread with white in future. You do not need “low GI” foods.

· It is important to experiment on one self .

Have a great day

Ok, I've been through the book. It's great. Not just recipes but a whole lot of lchf related info too. Recipes are good and can be modified according to what is available.

Can recommend it.

:)

We've got a teenager and 3 y.o. twins. One keeps you awake late, the other wakes you up early. We're shattered and can't wait for the Christmas holidays. Means that evening time reading is not high on the list of priorities!

I've only paged through the first part of the book. The recipes are in the second part, and I only got to the first one which was the fat shake and I got so excited I put the book down and typed the post above.

The book looks good, the few recipes I did look at look like they are worth knowing - courgettes used for noodles etc. That type of thing is worth knowing and you just need to pick up a couple of useful standbys to add to your armory to make the book worth getting.

Unfortunately they've gone for a very artistic look with the typeface and it makes the reading just a little bit hard. Black and white aerial may be less trendy, but it's easy to read. Esp. for tired folk.

I'd get it. Looks well worth it.

I'm going to take it on holiday and make good use of it.

With all this tired talk... you still had time to smoke me in the commuter challenge! Came up out of nowhere to claim 5! I am chasing you down!

Hijack off, shot for the great reviews and info... I am stoked for Noakes talk next week.

'When a cyclist said he doesn't leave the house without having his fat shake in the morning, it changed everything. People need fat, especially if they're going to be sweating it out all day. This fat shake recipe is inspired by a blog post on TheHubSA.co.za an incredibly popular South African online cycling forum.

150ml full-cream milk

50g butter

50ml cream

200ml coconut cream

1 tbsp sugar-free hot chocolate (or a good chunk of 80% couverture or some cocoa powder)

1/4 tsp salt

That is a nice fat shake.

I also have my own invention - First time sharing it now.

Its a fat/protein shake which I take in the morning.

I adjust the amount of grams of these ingredients on my planned activity level of the day.

-+250ml water

100 - 150g plain cream cheese

30-40g protiene from unflavoured protein powder (not whey - use egg/casseine/soya powder)

10-20g of mct oil (I have it in powder form)

10g cacao

1-2 teaspoones of instant coffee

liquid sweeter to taste

FYI - I recommend using a mixer

Edited by DJTerblanche

With all this tired talk... you still had time to smoke me in the commuter challenge! Came up out of nowhere to claim 5! I am chasing you down!

Hijack off, shot for the great reviews and info... I am stoked for Noakes talk next week.

No mate, I'm way off you - number 9 currently...

You are reaping the benefits of LCHF or Paleo way of eating. Your feeling better, even some illnesses has gone. But in the back of your mind the weight issue is still there or you are stuck on a given weight for some period.

Some thoughts on Weight plateau.

• A calorie deficit is needed for weight to reduce.
  • Never try and create a calorie deficit with training. Why?? because we over estimate calorie consumption/usage of an activity by A LOT....
  • You can still over eat if you count carbs only. Even if the carbs is < 50g/day. I know, yes... fat supposedly makes you feel full. Not if you have some degree of over eating tendencies or addictive personality(like myself) or 'sommer' love eating .
  • A calorie deficit or energy deficit can be created with 500 calories less than total required (good luck with this one, very difficult to do) or an approach of bigger energy/calorie deficits.
  • If you cycle recreational racer or is a race snake, you do go anaerobic sometimes and sometimes you overdo it. Just be careful not to follow the inuit eating to much?? Why?? love this saying:: you sweat you die.. What does that mean? The inuit ate fatty/meaty whole some food. High intensity physical activity that makes you sweat in the cold weather is dangerous, you may freeze under all that layers of clothing. There eating habits takes that into account. Don't carbon copy it >>>
  • Fasting: very interesting. Read some about it. There are a lot of positives here. Physically and spiritually.

Well, that is it for my Friday essay..

Have a good one...

Fasting ...

It pop's up every now and again, and looking around on the www, there are plenty of writings both for and against. So, I was wondering if anyone here has tried it?

Most importantly, why?

what did you do?

what were the results?

I fast for 2-3 days periodically, have done for years. Why... because I feel better at the end of it every time. Never weaker, never tired.

Edited by 2wheelsgood

I fast for 2-3 days every 3-4 months or so, have done for about the last 10 years. Why... because I feel better at the end of it every time. Never weaker, never tired. I do make a point of doing it around/between exercise/cycling though.

Interesting.

2-3 days? I assume you're drinking something during this time. Water only? or something with electrolytes in it?

Interesting.

2-3 days? I assume you're drinking something during this time. Water only? or something with electrolytes in it?

Some feedback on fasting:

Why: Couple of reasons: physical: weight plateau, experimenting(constant student), energy level testing. Do we over estimate our calorie usage during exercise?

What I did:: fast once or twice a week between 18 hours and 24 hours. The 24 hours works as follows, last meal at 18h00 next meal 18h00 next day. Easier to do over night. The 18 hours works similar it stops around 12-13h00. I did take peptopro, I like it better than BCAA's. Also drank: water, coffee, tea with milk/cream.

Results: I trained(high intensity) in fasted state. Drank peptopro before, during and after training. Very Surprised with level of energy. To do 2x 24 hours back to back is pushing it. On the second 24 hour I did not make 18h00, had to eat.

During fasting I felt limited hunger reflexes. Would suggest some sort of BCAA , reason being that your muscles are not metabolized. BG levels very stable. Calorie usage during exercise: over eating after exercise session is easily done. eg: did you really burn 1200cals for the 2 hour bike ride. Or 4000 cals for a MTB marathon lasting 4 hours? I question the accuracy of Garmin. What if calorie usage is not 4,000 cals and 2000, and fell in the trap of replacing the 4000 and the calculation is wrong? This hypothesis spills over to: don not create calorie deficit with exercise.

Hope this makes sense.

Calorie usage during exercise: over eating after exercise session is easily done. eg: did you really burn 1200cals for the 2 hour bike ride. Or 4000 cals for a MTB marathon lasting 4 hours? I question the accuracy of Garmin. What if calorie usage is not 4,000 cals and 2000, and fell in the trap of replacing the 4000 and the calculation is wrong? This hypothesis spills over to: don not create calorie deficit with exercise.

While I understand what you are saying, I don't think any of us on this thread (I could be wrong) go out to eat 1500kCal just because our Garmin/Polar says that is how much we burnt. From the start it has been "do not count calories", "eat when hungry" and "stop when full." These 3 simple steps make it very easy to get by.

Take your theory and consider how many guys on here say that they don't have "recovery meals" because they are not hungry after a ride/race. While your theory my not apply to the LCHF people, it may ring very true for the weekend warrior type of people that cycle for fun and aren't worried about what they eat because "I will cycle it off tomorrow."

Not trying to be personal, I just don't know how to type that it comes out calm and collected. :D

Edited by Helpmytrap

While I understand what you are saying, I don't think any of us on this thread (I could be wrong) go out to eat 1500kCal just because our Garmin/Polar says that is how much we burnt. From the start it has been "do not count calories", "eat when hungry" and "stop when full." These 3 simple steps make it very easy to get by.

Take your theory and consider how many guys on here say that they don't have "recovery meals" because they are not hungry after a ride/race. While your theory my not apply to the LCHF people, it may ring very true for the weekend warrior type of people that cycle for fun and aren't worried about what they eat because "I will cycle it off tomorrow."

Not trying to be personal, I just don't know how to type that it comes out calm and collected. :D

I would not take in wrong way. I see that you are calm and collected.. :) My feedback is based on personal experience, with fasting in the background.

The 3 easy steps: "stop when full' ---for me this can easily go south.. the full feeling is not sensitive enough. I can easily eat 500 gram bacon. And this is not only meal of the day.

"Do not count calories" -- if I want to loose fat from an already low(<12) fat % base, I need to check calories.

I would just add 4th step to 3 steps: Find out what works for you.

Does any one else have similar experience?