LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

I finally took delivery of some VCO.

PM to make arrangements for collection (Germiston).

Recovering costs @R88/l. Please bring own containers.

VCO has a density of about 0.925kg/litre.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

VCO left:

Container: +- 25 litre @ R88/l

Less

DustorBust: 5 litres

Spy: 5 litres

An3: 5 litres

Schweinehund: 5 litres

DaveTapson: 4 litres

Remaining: 1 litre

Anyone missing out: Don't sweat it. You can always get Crede Oils VCO at a health shop.

Edited by schweinehund

VCO left:

Container: +- 25 litre @ R88/l

Less

DustorBust: 5 litres

Spy: 5 litres

An3: 5 litres

Schweinehund: 5 litres

Remaining: 5 litres

Anyone missing out: Don't sweat it. You can always get Crede Oils VCO at a health shop.

I'll take 2l if you are willing to split. Just need to get a container.

Hi Guys

So I started LCHF 11 days ago and managed to convince the wife to do it with me. My reason for looking at it was not really weight loss (I could lose a few kilos to get back to racing weight, but not really overweight), but rather I know that I had become a carb monster. I generally eat very well and haven't added sugar to anything in years. I drink lots of water and avoid fast food etc, but I couldn't get through a morning or even a 3 hour meeting without eating something. Diet was full of cereal, bread rolls, pasta, rice, potatoes etc.

Anyway, some of the LCHF stuff is quite difficults to get your head around after years of conditioning, like adding salt to food, cooking with butter, eating the fat on the meat, chicken skin, full fat products etc.... So I've been reading a lot over the last couple days to get some direction. I've read basically every post in the first 85 pages of this thread in the last two days and it's left me more confused than ever. Some observations:

• It seems like PUFA are a bigger no-no than carbs?
  • if you're going to go high fat, then make sure your fats come from the right source, otherise you're doing more harm than good?
  • like Newton said, for every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction. For every opinion, fact or study, there is an equal and opposite opinion, fact or study.
  • Topwine has some interesting points to add, but generally the converts ignore him.

So my point - I have learnt a lot, I think, like avoiding low fat products, removing all forms of processed carbs etc, etc, but the question is:

Is there a really good and substantive guide to healthy eating for otherwise health people out there? Something that's not so extreme as to put you in danger of other pitfalls?

Is Paleo closer to the ultimate?

Thanks

Hi Guys

So I started LCHF 11 days ago and managed to convince the wife to do it with me. My reason for looking at it was not really weight loss (I could lose a few kilos to get back to racing weight, but not really overweight), but rather I know that I had become a carb monster. I generally eat very well and haven't added sugar to anything in years. I drink lots of water and avoid fast food etc, but I couldn't get through a morning or even a 3 hour meeting without eating something. Diet was full of cereal, bread rolls, pasta, rice, potatoes etc.

Anyway, some of the LCHF stuff is quite difficults to get your head around after years of conditioning, like adding salt to food, cooking with butter, eating the fat on the meat, chicken skin, full fat products etc.... So I've been reading a lot over the last couple days to get some direction. I've read basically every post in the first 85 pages of this thread in the last two days and it's left me more confused than ever. Some observations:

• It seems like PUFA are a bigger no-no than carbs?
  • if you're going to go high fat, then make sure your fats come from the right source, otherise you're doing more harm than good?
  • like Newton said, for every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction. For every opinion, fact or study, there is an equal and opposite opinion, fact or study.
  • Topwine has some interesting points to add, but generally the converts ignore him.

So my point - I have learnt a lot, I think, like avoiding low fat products, removing all forms of processed carbs etc, etc, but the question is:

Is there a really good and substantive guide to healthy eating for otherwise health people out there? Something that's not so extreme as to put you in danger of other pitfalls?

Is Paleo closer to the ultimate?

Thanks

Have a look here - http://www.amazon.com/The-Paleo-Diet-Athletes-Nutritional/dp/160961917X

Hi Riaan,

Yup, that's a pretty good summary ... as someone here once said, "not all fats are good, not all carbs are bad"

It is easy to get confused with this stuff - not only because there are many studies and "experts" who all contradict each other but because what works for you may (or may not) work for me!

The population is not all the same and you will have a different reaction to carbs, protein, fat, oils, hormones, etc etc to the next person.

My view is that I'm really only interested in what works for ME, and this I measure by feel, performance and blood tests.

If study X says that 12million people were studied and they all grew 6 inches taller eating pies and drinking coke ... well that's fine, but if it don't work for me then I generally ignore it :) regardless of the sample size.

The downside of this approach is that it took me months to really start listening to my body - perhaps I'm a slow learner :)

From the sounds of it you're on the right track already - less sugar, fast food, PUFA, bad carbs, etc. Now all you need to do is refine your C:F:P intake to a level that makes you feel good.

"Is Paleo closer to the ultimate?"

For you, it may be. NO ONE can tell you what the "ultimate" is for you - you have to find it for yourself.

Thanks jcza - I've obviously read a lot of your earlier posts and seen your views on carbs while racing and training etc.

Does this book give good guidance wrt to which fats etc to eat?

Here is the index. Hope it helps. Even if one is not LCHF or Paleo the book still explains how the body is fuelled.

post-32242-0-69274200-1389273937_thumb.png

Look at "the art and science of low carb living" by Volak and Phinney

Or for a more performance / exercise related angle "the art and science of low carb performance" by Phinney

Hi Riaan,

Yup, that's a pretty good summary ... as someone here once said, "not all fats are good, not all carbs are bad"

It is easy to get confused with this stuff - not only because there are many studies and "experts" who all contradict each other but because what works for you may (or may not) work for me!

The population is not all the same and you will have a different reaction to carbs, protein, fat, oils, hormones, etc etc to the next person.

My view is that I'm really only interested in what works for ME, and this I measure by feel, performance and blood tests.

If study X says that 12million people were studied and they all grew 6 inches taller eating pies and drinking coke ... well that's fine, but if it don't work for me then I generally ignore it :) regardless of the sample size.

The downside of this approach is that it took me months to really start listening to my body - perhaps I'm a slow learner :)

From the sounds of it you're on the right track already - less sugar, fast food, PUFA, bad carbs, etc. Now all you need to do is refine your C:F:P intake to a level that makes you feel good.

"Is Paleo closer to the ultimate?"

For you, it may be. NO ONE can tell you what the "ultimate" is for you - you have to find it for yourself.

Thanks DaleE - I appreciate your response

Do we really have to go the extreme of testing our blood to find out what works for us? And what of the longer term effects which we cannot test now? Or do we just adopt the "everything in moderation" approach?

Here is the index. Hope it helps. Even if one is not LCHF or Paleo the book still explains how the body is fuelled.

Thanks jcza

Look at "the art and science of low carb living" by Volak and Phinney

Or for a more performance / exercise related angle "the art and science of low carb performance" by Phinney

Thanks, loaded the art and science of low carb performance onto my Kindle the other day and part of the way through it. Quite technical really, or is that just me?

Thanks DaleE - I appreciate your response

Do we really have to go the extreme of testing our blood to find out what works for us? And what of the longer term effects which we cannot test now? Or do we just adopt the "everything in moderation" approach?

I started doing blood tests post heart attack simply because I did not believe that this high fat way of eating could possibly be healthy - it's hard to ignore 40 years of nutrition education! At the time my weight and health were all over the place so I used the tests to evaluate changes as i made them. later on I started correlating feeling and performance with blood tests, so that now blood tests are less important to me. This process has taken 2 years!

things we can't test now and long term effects?

The simple answer is I don't know. My very simple logic is that it it works for me now (for last 18 months), blood tests are good, performance is good, cardiologist is happy, weight is stable ... how can this be bad for me in the long term?

"everything in moderation"

Allow me to be facetious here ... when you say "everything", does that include cocaine? tobacco? Obviously not, and yet, some of the worst toxins (PUFA's, sugar, etc) have become everyday foods so get included in this thought that they are "ok in moderation". It really is about rethinking what is actually necessary and good for your body.

Thanks, loaded the art and science of low carb performance onto my Kindle the other day and part of the way through it. Quite technical really, or is that just me?

Pretty much all the books on LCHF / Paleo have some science in them. Rememer that most of the time the authors are trying to convince their peers that the science is good, hence the technical stuff.

If you develop a taste for the technical bits, go fond "Good Calories, Bad Calories" ... makes Lore of Running seem like a short story :)

Sorry - missed the part that you had a heart attack. That might also lead me to do blood tests.

Guess I'm just searching fo the holy grail - a definitive guide to healthy eating for health people (and kids). Maybe there's a gap in the market here :whistling:

I hear you on the moderation thing - it's what we've been conditioned to, that alows us to think that certain things are OK in moderation cause they're so readily available.

Thanks