LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Oh, and the point I missed earlier... It seems that the only thing that everyone agrees on is cold pressed virgin coconut oil.

That shite must be good for you :thumbup:

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what do you think of this dairy free, sugar free, low gi, no gluten, diabetes friendly, no carbs chocolate bar. I see the main ingredient is Maltitol and I haven't read such good things about sugar alcohols. But is it OK to have this rather than real chocolate if you have a craving and obviously this will only be once in a while as well and take into account it cost about R13 for a 50g bar. Or are you aware of other better alternatives if you feel like something sweet?

post-19383-1389331734,8426.jpg

So what do you think of this dairy free, sugar free, low gi, no gluten, diabetes friendly, no carbs chocolate bar. I see the main ingredient is Maltitol and I haven't read such good things about sugar alcohols. But is it OK to have this rather than real chocolate if you have a craving and obviously this will only be once in a while as well and take into account it cost about R13 for a 50g bar. Or are you aware of other better alternatives if you feel like something sweet?

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/maltitol.htm

"Although claims are often made that maltitol has little impact on blood sugar, this turns out not to be the case.

Maltitol Has Carbs

Maltitol is a carbohydrate
. Although our bodies do not absorb all the calories in maltitol, this substance does provide us with 2 to 3 calories per gram, compared to the 4 calories per gram of sugar. (For what its worth, I have noticed that
the claim of 2 calories per gram usually comes from literature provided by the manufacturer
or the low calorie food industry
whereas other analyses tend to be closer to 3 calories
.) Since maltitol is a carbohydrate, and since it provides calories, you would expect it to impact blood glucose. You would be correct."

And also just a quick glance at the label, Carbs 0g but Fibre 7g. They also state how much Lactose is in a dairy free product, why?? It should state the amount of total sugars.

So in which form are they using net carbs? Total carbs - fibre = total carbs or even worse, digestible carbs - fibre = total carbs. Judging from @agteros' post it is the latter.

Hi Guys

So I started LCHF 11 days ago and managed to convince the wife to do it with me. My reason for looking at it was not really weight loss (I could lose a few kilos to get back to racing weight, but not really overweight), but rather I know that I had become a carb monster. I generally eat very well and haven't added sugar to anything in years. I drink lots of water and avoid fast food etc, but I couldn't get through a morning or even a 3 hour meeting without eating something. Diet was full of cereal, bread rolls, pasta, rice, potatoes etc.

Anyway, some of the LCHF stuff is quite difficults to get your head around after years of conditioning, like adding salt to food, cooking with butter, eating the fat on the meat, chicken skin, full fat products etc.... So I've been reading a lot over the last couple days to get some direction. I've read basically every post in the first 85 pages of this thread in the last two days and it's left me more confused than ever. Some observations:

• It seems like PUFA are a bigger no-no than carbs?
  • if you're going to go high fat, then make sure your fats come from the right source, otherise you're doing more harm than good?
  • like Newton said, for every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction. For every opinion, fact or study, there is an equal and opposite opinion, fact or study.
  • Topwine has some interesting points to add, but generally the converts ignore him.

So my point - I have learnt a lot, I think, like avoiding low fat products, removing all forms of processed carbs etc, etc, but the question is:

Is there a really good and substantive guide to healthy eating for otherwise health people out there? Something that's not so extreme as to put you in danger of other pitfalls?

Is Paleo closer to the ultimate?

Thanks

We like to get caught up in the detail and sometimes miss the big picture.

I think Mark Sisson (or someone) summed it up as 'don't eat the white stuff'. If you don't eat the white stuff (rice, potatoes, flour, pasta, sugar etc however excluding cauliflower!) you are probably 80% of the way there.

The rest is detail. But don't eat the white stuff.

After that, you need to decide if you want be on the ketogenic side of LCHF, or not. If not, go for paleo, if so, go a bit more strict.

Everyone has their own set of circumstances and thus their own balance.

We should probably have a second level rule to follow the 'Don't eat white stuff' rule.

Suggestions?

Don't eat:

• seed oils
  • ?

When I see things like 'don't cook using olive oil as it is unstable at smoking point' I kind of think that one shouldn't get too hung up on that.

I take the point, but I also wonder how many of us who are not professional chefs cook anything at smoking point? That's fekkin hot. I don't.

PS: Re Topwine. He is a contrarian and will find something the opposite to say on any subject. Have a look at his contributions to other threads on this forum to get an idea.

Being contrary for the sake of contrariness is not particularly helpful or useful. This is an observation and I will not get into any further discussion regarding it or Topwine.

If he believes that LCHF is so harmful, then let him start a thread with what he believes is the way to go and we can judge that on it's own merits.

If Maltitol has carbs we absorb at about 50-75% the rate of normal sugar, what's the rate for xylitol?

Are "calorie-free" sweeteners a big fat lie?

PS: Re Topwine. He is a contrarian and will find something the opposite to say on any subject. Have a look at his contributions to other threads on this forum to get an idea.

Being contrary for the sake of contrariness is not particularly helpful or useful. This is an observation and I will not get into any further discussion regarding it or Topwine.

If he believes that LCHF is so harmful, then let him start a thread with what he believes is the way to go and we can judge that on it's own merits.

It's obvious. I don't like Dave Tapson either. But not for the sake of me being contrarian or he being a low carb zealot. He is just plain s....d . Unable to understand scientific studies or just being unable to think logically overall. Just in this post above he cherry picks again what he wants to believe, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

I dare Dave Tapson to disprove anything I have posted regarding evidence that sugar or potatoes is not bad for your health in moderation. He has not done so yet despite so publicly trying so hard. Also try to keep it to unpersonal remarks Dave, since if the moderators come calling, I can at least say you started it. Again .

Edited by Topwine

It's obvious. I don't like Dave Tapson either. But not for the sake of me being contrarian or he being a low carb zealot. He is just plain s....d . Unable to understand scientific studies or just being unable to think logically overall. Just in this post above he cherry picks again what he wants to believe, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

I dare Dave Tapson to disprove anything I have posted regarding evidence that sugar or potatoes is not bad for your health in moderation. He has not done so yet despite so publicly trying so hard. Also try to keep it to unpersonal remarks Dave, since if the moderators come calling, I can at least say you started it. Again .

Let's talk specifics. how much sugar per per annum is the limit for 'moderation'?

I’ve learnt from all the regular contributors here. The guys (has been mostly guys) ‘style’ of writing and primary focus are all different, as it is everywhere. No one really knows exactly what we should or shouldn’t be eating but there are certain items that it’s becoming clear we should avoid. Some will eliminate those, others will reduce their intake. I’m not going to stop having more than a single glass of wine!

Ok most on this forum take their diets seriously and I presume this being a cycling site they also take their cycling seriously. So who eats well AND shaves their legs?? :)

Page 1:

"PLEASE NOTE

This tread is for LCHF ONLY

If you have a discussion on Ray Peat or High Carb start your own tread please."

Nuff said.

I have an admission to make on this thread. Those of you that have read my previous posts will know I have been vegetarian for the past 12 years.

A month ago I started eating meat again. Big changes in my life and so I changed my diet as well. I have put on weight but am riding better than ever. Odd

So now I think I will have another go at this diet. May not go as low carb as a lot of you guys but I will try it again

I have an admission to make on this thread. Those of you that have read my previous posts will know I have been vegetarian for the past 12 years.

A month ago I started eating meat again. Big changes in my life and so I changed my diet as well. I have put on weight but am riding better than ever. Odd

So now I think I will have another go at this diet. May not go as low carb as a lot of you guys but I will try it again

If I may ask, what where your reasons to go vegetarian?

I would say mostly ethical reasons. Not that being vege totally removes you from ethical concerns. You just have to look at rain forest destruction to provide more space to grow soya to understand that.

There were serious setbacks with my bulk VCO order.

Will let those that were interested know when I have my replacement container.

Guys down in CT have it good.

Look what I found: http://www.farmerang...urcing-produce/

Grass-fed (and -finished, I believe) beef and pastured eggs.

Reasonably priced, too:

R36/dozen eggs (deep colour due to pasturing on legumes, hopefully not due to colouring).

R88/kg mince (comes in plastic sausage).

Also interesting to follow the farmer's chronicles of running his operation.

He tried non-GMO feed for the chickens, but ran into trouble as his operation requires 4 ton per 4 weeks, but the smallest he could process at the mill was 10 ton and the feed is only good for 4 weeks (after which it developed mycotoxins and the chickens died), so there is no way for "ethical" farming without a huge budget that allows the farmer to operate outside of the GMO agriculture environment.

With all the fat we're consuming it would be great to reduce all the inflammatory crap many currently unwittingly ingest by sourcing from farmers who grass-finish their beef.

How right it is to draw parallels between Stefansson's high fat consumption vs modern day high fat consumption because of how many toxins (increased inflammatory Omega 6 : Omega 3 ratio) are in the fats (due to CAFO, GMO, pollution)?

Almost impossible to dodge grains when our meat and fat comes from grain-finished beef.

The omega 6 issue also has me thinking I should ditch pork and chicken.

Trying to eat healthily is a headache when there are so many variables and conflicting ideas :D

Rather get back on my bicycle and leave the science to the grown-ups.

Edited by schweinehund