LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Went for a SS ride today, and not a long one. Without eating breakfast, just 2 espresso. Man did I bonk hard. The trail through my farm has become so overgrown that it sent my hr sky high, I tried to manage my hr after that, but there are just too many steep long hills. The carbs that I ate, I ate too late to recover. The last long hill, about 5km and steep was just the straw that broke the donkeys ;) back, and I had to phone the wife to fetch me.

All part of the learning process.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have any of you seen the price of Kerrygold butter recently? I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw R74,00. I'm sure that I was paying around R52,00 last year per 500g.

What is the cheapest store where you have found butter recently?

Have any of you seen the price of Kerrygold butter recently? I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw R74,00. I'm sure that I was paying around R52,00 last year per 500g.

What is the cheapest store where you have found butter recently?

PicknPay R32.xx but it wasn't Kerrygold. Woolies was R34.xx for Woolies brand.

I'm not the biggest fan of "normal" salted butter, the taste isn't anywhere near that of Kerrygold.

I do use the Woolies brand for cooking though.

I'm not the biggest fan of "normal" salted butter, the taste isn't anywhere near that of Kerrygold.

I do use the Woolies brand for cooking though.

I prefer Lurpak... tastes differ... :)

I prefer Lurpak... tastes differ... :)

As you know, Lurpak is far more expensive in comparison to normal butter, even more than Kerrygold.

Prices vary so much between stores that I'm always curious as to where the best deal is. Provided it isn't out of my way.

PnP had the odd special on Kerrgold last year for about R50/500gr.

The cheapest you'll find Kerrygold is the 250gr packs that PnP was selling for R32.99 less 10% Smart Shopper discount (special is off atm, but PnP usually brings back Kerrygold deals).

I've decided to stick to cheaper butter, as it's sometimes possible to get it at R20/500gr on special at PnP.

Don't forget that Kerrygold could possibly be sending their inferior winter product which isn't strictly grassfed and probably tastes different to SA, in which case you might be paying extra for a placebo effect.

Went for a SS ride today, and not a long one. Without eating breakfast, just 2 espresso. Man did I bonk hard. The trail through my farm has become so overgrown that it sent my hr sky high, I tried to manage my hr after that, but there are just too many steep long hills. The carbs that I ate, I ate too late to recover. The last long hill, about 5km and steep was just the straw that broke the donkeys ;) back, and I had to phone the wife to fetch me.

All part of the learning process.

Been meaning to ask you how it's going. Seems you're at the dark and desperate stage.

So it's all going to plan then :)

How long you been at this again?

Been meaning to ask you how it's going. Seems you're at the dark and desperate stage.

Dark and desperate it is, I just cannot get it going, but then I insist on trying to ride the SS, which sends my HR into the 80%, but it's new, I just cannot help myself, got kakked out by the wife :whistling: , for pushing it too much.

So it's all going to plan then :) :thumbup:

How long you been at this again?

Been at it for about 2 months, so I'm pushing the bodies ability a bit.

I am eating about three pieces of fruit a day. Other than that raw veges and meat. Not one potato. No rice and no pasta.

Weight is stable but not down. Riding appears to be unchanged. Dammed if I can feel any difference.

I am eating about three pieces of fruit a day. Other than that raw veges and meat. Not one potato. No rice and no pasta.

Weight is stable but not down. Riding appears to be unchanged. Dammed if I can feel any difference.

I had to cut my fruit to ZERO :eek: and I LOVE my fruit.

Use an app like MyFitnessPal to get a feel of the amount of carbs that you are consuming. You will be surprised of how many hidden cabs you eat. For a month log each meal.

Although some LCHF followers feel that the amount calories are not important. This did not work for me. I had to drastically also reduce calories. The good thing is that on LCHF I no longer crave for junk food (chocolates, biscuits, etc. - processed garbage). Also no longer snack during the day. A Bullet Proof Coffee and some Kefir in the morning will easily see me through to midday.

Keep at it, but also make sure that you replace your carbs with increased fat intake.

I buy into the health aspects of the LCHF diet so want to follow the food recommendations. But I also have a competitive streak and want to ride well. I think Tim Noakes had it right both pre and post his adoption of the Banting diet. Pre: If you want to run your best possible marathon, you need to carbo-load. (And train with the aid of carbs?) Post: For good health, eat low carb.

I have tried going low carb twice but have failed, the carb craving just became too intense. So I’m going to fudge it a bit. Free carbs during ride time. After commutes (< 1 hour) have a few handfuls of raisins. For long rides of over 2 hours - oats pre ride, raisins during and immediately after a carb treat. All other times go LCHF. Think my mind and body will have an easier time adapting… Starting tomorrow.

Some family from a small town in Namakwaland visited and as the topic became diet, they were all talking about this "Tim Noakes" diet and how it makes sense. Looks like the word is getting around! Even though they got the name of the diet a bit wrong

Just a heads-up for Capetonians on a fascinating debate that is going to take place between Noakes and one of his greatest local opponents prof Lionel Opie on the LCHF eating plan. The debate is going to be held at the Franschhoek Literary Festival on 17 May and tickets are going to go fast See: https://www.webtickets.co.za/EventCategories.aspx?itemid=410207261

If any other Hubbers are going, drop me a PM and let’s hook-up.

Just a heads-up for Capetonians on a fascinating debate that is going to take place between Noakes and one of his greatest local opponents prof Lionel Opie on the LCHF eating plan. The debate is going to be held at the Franschhoek Literary Festival on 17 May and tickets are going to go fast See: https://www.webticke...temid=410207261

If any other Hubbers are going, drop me a PM and let’s hook-up.

I really hope there will be a recording of this. I agree that this will be fascinating.