LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

They can always ask Paul van Zweel from local Europcar team

I see you are giving them suggestions - not sure they are taking them up with the readiness they should.

PvZ - HC vegan!? Heck.

But I like his comments:

Moderation is a fatal thing, nothing succeeds like excess.

And:

Post ride recovery meal of 15 large bananas = 1550 Kcal and 390 g of carb

Geez - it takes a young man (or a trained vegan) to be able to eat 15 large bananas!

Edit:

One of my wife's patients, an Indian lady, gave her a plate of samoosas as a thank-you gift.

I got home after commuting, and figured I may as well try one as what would one hurt? 15 samoosas later I decided I better give it a break (there were 4 left, and I was eyeing them with intent.)

Have never had such a disturbed night. My guts just aren't capable of dealing with 15 samoosa's worth of pastry (she didn't use the normal phylo type pastry, but more like a wrap type pastry.)

I've learned my lesson and have had my ass kicked back onto proper LC. Not 'cheating' again until I'm ketotic.

Edited by davetapson

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see you are giving them suggestions - not sure they are taking them up with the readiness they should.

PvZ - HC vegan!? Heck.

But I like his comments:

Moderation is a fatal thing, nothing succeeds like excess.

And:

Post ride recovery meal of 15 large bananas = 1550 Kcal and 390 g of carb

Geez - it takes a young man (or a trained vegan) to be able to eat 15 large bananas!

Edit:

One of my wife's patients, an Indian lady, gave her a plate of samoosas as a thank-you gift.

I got home after commuting, and figured I may as well try one as what would one hurt? 15 samoosas later I decided I better give it a break (there were 4 left, and I was eyeing them with intent.)

Have never had such a disturbed night. My guts just aren't capable of dealing with 15 samoosa's worth of pastry (she didn't use the normal phylo type pastry, but more like a wrap type pastry.)

I've learned my lesson and have had my ass kicked back onto proper LC. Not 'cheating' again until I'm ketotic.

Hahahaha was it the pastry or the filling that kept you awake? :eek:

I started this whole LCHF thing on Saturday. Actually dabbled a bit for the past 2 months but didn't go all out. Then rode the R2R route last week and there you don't have much option but to consume carbs - that is 80% of what you are fed at the support stations. Problem is I am hungry all the time now.

As an example yesterday:

breakfast - 3 egg omlette with cheese, cream, tomatoes + 3 cups of coffee with unsalted butter and cream

snack - almonds, double cream yoghurt

lunch - 1/2 tin tuna, 1 avo, tomatoes, cucumber dressed with olive oil and lemon juice

dinner - cottage pie made with beef mince, bacon, courgettes, green beans and cauliflower mash (no potato mash) and cheese. Also cream in the mince/bacon mix.

after supper 2 naartjies.

I was hungry all day, never felt satisfied after a meal. Is this just the adaptation causing this or maybe the after effects of 6 days of hard riding?

..... the after effects of 6 days of hard riding?

That would be my guess. Two ideas I strongly believe in are the concepts of "eat when hungry, but eat the right stuff". You seem to be doing both.

You could get really picky and say that naartjies (highest carb content of your menu) as probably not the best thing after supper. You ideally want to be having those 3-4 hrs before bed so your body has a chance to burn them off. Apart from that, stick with it for a few days and see if the hunger subsides.

Edited by DaleE

That would be my guess. One two ideas I strongly believe in is the concept of "eat when hungry, but eat the right stuff". You seem to be doing both.

You could get really picky and say that naartjies (highest carb content of your menu) as probably not the best thing after supper. You ideally want to be having those 3-4 hrs before bed so your body has a chance to burn them off. Apart from that, stick with it for a few days and see if the hunger subsides.

thanks, will stick with it.

I started this whole LCHF thing on Saturday. Actually dabbled a bit for the past 2 months but didn't go all out. Then rode the R2R route last week and there you don't have much option but to consume carbs - that is 80% of what you are fed at the support stations. Problem is I am hungry all the time now.

As an example yesterday:

breakfast - 3 egg omlette with cheese, cream, tomatoes + 3 cups of coffee with unsalted butter and cream

lunch - 1/2 tin tuna, 1 avo, tomatoes, cucumber dressed with olive oil and lemon juice

dinner - cottage pie made with beef mince, bacon, courgettes, green beans and cauliflower mash (no potato mash) and cheese. Also cream in the mince/bacon mix.

I was hungry all day, never felt satisfied after a meal. Is this just the adaptation causing this or maybe the after effects of 6 days of hard riding?

+1 with DaleE's reply.

My one thought is that if you weren't fat adapted before the race, you're starting your 'proper' LC'ing with very much reduced glycogen stores (since you've burned them all off in the race) and your body is slightly hypoglycemic. You can't currently create (much) glycogen from fat as you not fully adapted, and you are not eating them, so there is a bit of an 'energy gap'.

My suggestion is to stick to the LC'ing - the fact that you are both probably glycogen depleted and not taking in carbs may force the adaption quicker. But possibly not easier if the hunger pangs are a problem.

The craving feeling can be caused by hypoglycemia - the problem is that if you give in to them, then you will find yourself eating any carb within reach that is not fast enough to escape. Well, this is how it is for me anyway :)

Once your liver has been jolted into turning fat into glycogen, you will be a-for-away and the hunger pangs will become a thing of the past.

Edited by davetapson

+1 with DaleE's reply.

My one thought is that if you weren't fat adapted before the race, you're starting your 'proper' LC'ing with very much reduced glycogen stores (since you've burned them all off in the race) and your body is slightly hypoglycemic. You can't currently create (much) glycogen from fat as you not fully adapted, and you are not eating them, so there is a bit of an 'energy gap'.

My suggestion is to stick to the LC'ing - the fact that you are both probably glycogen depleted and not taking in carbs may force the adaption quicker. But possibly not easier if the hunger pangs are a problem.

The craving feeling can be caused by hypoglycemia - the problem is that if you give in to them, then you will find yourself eating any carb within reach that is not fast enough to escape. Well, this is how it is for me anyway :)

Once your liver has been jolted into turning fat into glycogen, you will be a-for-away and the hunger pangs will become a thing of the past.

thanks. I'll just eat more (fat) in the mean time until I am fully adapted.

Seems our MP's think you are all on the wrong track with this diet....

http://www.timeslive...r-their-obesity

Yup, blame the food ... I'm sure they have lots of minions just forcing it down the MP's throats .... :)

You eat what you choose to eat. If you don't like the free food, take a lunch box from home.

Pretty sure some of the homeless folk living in the streets around parliament wouldn't mind a diet of "three-course lunches with soup or salad as starters, followed by steaks, chicken, lamb or fish served as mains."

As an example yesterday:

When I started, I had serious 'hunger' for stuff that my body wanted because it was used to it. I would daydream of toast with apricot jam (a favourite of my youth), doughnuts, pasta, etc. I guess it was a low-level form of withdrawal I was going through. I've been through that same issue a number of times since - whenever I fall off the wagon a bit and have to get back to strict LCHF before I can return to my more relaxed Paleo diet.

I'm not sure if this is what you're going through, but the first few weeks can be crap for some of us while we try wean ourselves off this carb dependency. Looking at your diet at the moment, you do have room to get more strict and take your carb content even lower. Just for the first couple of weeks, then slowly tailor back to a point where you feel comfortable (we all have different equilibrium points - mine might be higher carb than someone else).

One thing I'm not noticing in your diet is coconut oil. It plays an important part in my life for 2 reasons:

1. I don't know of any other food like MCT-loaded coconut oil to kick your body into a ketone-producing, fat chomping mofo.

2. It's the best natural appetite suppressant I know of. Swallow a generous tablespoon of coconut oil and wash it down with a large (500ml) glass of water. The combination is what does it. It seems to overload your stomachs satiety sensors and you can't even look at food. Just be careful with how much coconut oil you start with. Too much will make you seriously nauseous. So start with a heaped teaspoon and work up from there. As you become more fat adapted and used to coconut oil, you'll find you can eat more before you reach nausea levels. If you have to fight the carb monster in the evenings like I do, have coconut oil and a jug of water around 6pm and you won't want to touch another thing until bedtime. Which means all the way through the night and into the next morning you are deep into ketosis. Combine that with waking up the next morning with more coconut oil and water for breakfast before your ride and see how quickly the weight comes off.

Keep at this. The rewards will come in time.

Edited by tombeej

When I started, I had serious 'hunger' for stuff that my body wanted because it was used to it. I would daydream of toast with apricot jam (a favourite of my youth), doughnuts, pasta, etc. I guess it was a low-level form of withdrawal I was going through. I've been through that same issue a number of times since - whenever I fall off the wagon a bit and have to get back to strict LCHF before I can return to my more relaxed Paleo diet.

I'm not sure if this is what you're going through, but the first few weeks can be crap for some of us while we try wean ourselves off this carb dependency. Looking at your diet at the moment, you do have room to get more strict and take your carb content even lower. Just for the first couple of weeks, then slowly tailor back to a point where you feel comfortable (we all have different equilibrium points - mine might be higher carb than someone else).

One thing I'm not noticing in your diet is coconut oil. It plays an important part in my life for 2 reasons:

1. I don't know of any other food like MCT-loaded coconut oil to kick your body into a ketone-producing, fat chomping mofo.

2. It's the best natural appetite suppressant I know of. Swallow a generous tablespoon of coconut oil and wash it down with a large (500ml) glass of water. The combination is what does it. It seems to overload your stomachs satiety sensors and you can't even look at food. Just be careful with how much coconut oil you start with. Too much will make you seriously nauseous. So start with a heaped teaspoon and work up from there. As you become more fat adapted and used to coconut oil, you'll find you can eat more before you reach nausea levels. If you have to fight the carb monster in the evenings like I do, have coconut oil and a jug of water around 6pm and you won't want to touch another thing until bedtime. Which means all the way through the night and into the next morning you are deep into ketosis. Combine that with waking up the next morning with more coconut oil and water for breakfast before your ride and see how quickly the weight comes off.

Great post! :clap: Coconut oil is your best friend for appetite suppressing and getting into ketosis ASAP.

Hi Guys

Been fairly strict LCHF from Monday last week. I did my first workout since then this afternoon. What I noticed is that whereas normally I set the treadmills speed setting to 7.5 and keep my heart rate below 140 (avg of 138 with a peak of about 141) for about 45min, today after 10 - 15 minutes at 7.5 my HR would hit 155.

Would this be due to the fact that one lacks energy when starting LCHF and would this then translate to a slower run on the open road. After the run I also felt more tired than usual and light headed.

Should I take more carbs when training or is this just part of the normal adaptation process and should I just hang in there for a few weeks?

Thanks

Nice post. Gonna give this a bash.

thanks for the detailed reply. I will get some coconut oil this weekend. I don't really have carb cravings just general hunger.

Hi Guys

Been fairly strict LCHF from Monday last week. I did my first workout since then this afternoon. What I noticed is that whereas normally I set the treadmills speed setting to 7.5 and keep my heart rate below 140 (avg of 138 with a peak of about 141) for about 45min, today after 10 - 15 minutes at 7.5 my HR would hit 155.

Would this be due to the fact that one lacks energy when starting LCHF and would this then translate to a slower run on the open road. After the run I also felt more tired than usual and light headed.

Should I take more carbs when training or is this just part of the normal adaptation process and should I just hang in there for a few weeks?

Thanks

If you are being strict LCHF then don't succumb to the temptation of introducing carbs irrespective of the reason. Yes your body, after how many decades of fuelling on easy-access carb/sugar, will require some significant adaptation before you are able to significantly fuel on stored fat. So hang in and rather adapt your expectations IRO energy output while you engage in the process of altering fuel supply.