LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Noakes agrees with you on this. I'm a Coke Light addict, so this issue has interested me. How can zero calories make you fat? I don't get this. Please shed some light on this.

I have googled this extensively.

My understanding is that there are two issues with artificial sweeteners, but first we need to go back to the basics ...

One of the aims / benefits of lchf is that it lowers the glucose & insulin levels, allowing leptin to do it's work and use the stored fat in your body.

There is also the idea that insulin can be triggered from a thought - you do not have to actually put sugar in your mouth, merely the thought of eating something sweet will get the insulin flowing ... and this is obviously an issue with an artificial sweetener - you body expects sweetness so get the insulin levels you are trying to avoid.

Then there is the idea that sugar is addictive (some say more than cocaine) ; and that you need to be completely sugar and sweet free for 3-6 months to break this addiction.

There are reports of people claiming that their taste buds "came back to life" after a period of not eating sweet things.

The last issue with artificial sweeteners simply seems to be that they are artificial and in a lchf / paleo world that's frowned upon.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that there are two issues with artificial sweeteners, but first we need to go back to the basics ...

One of the aims / benefits of lchf is that it lowers the glucose & insulin levels, allowing leptin to do it's work and use the stored fat in your body.

There is also the idea that insulin can be triggered from a thought - you do not have to actually put sugar in your mouth, merely the thought of eating something sweet will get the insulin flowing ... and this is obviously an issue with an artificial sweetener - you body expects sweetness so get the insulin levels you are trying to avoid.

Then there is the idea that sugar is addictive (some say more than cocaine) ; and that you need to be completely sugar and sweet free for 3-6 months to break this addiction.

There are reports of people claiming that their taste buds "came back to life" after a period of not eating sweet things.

The last issue with artificial sweeteners simply seems to be that they are artificial and in a lchf / paleo world that's frowned upon.

That's very useful. Thanks.

It actually really pees me off. Been eating rubbish for years and a bunch of crooks have sold us on it. I remember having to switch to margarine as a kid. It was disgusting. All for what.

Have been reading "big fat surprise" http://www.amazon.com/Big-Fat-Surprise-Butter-Healthy/dp/1451624425/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1403093860&sr=1-1&keywords=big+fat+surprise

It's a great read, well researched, written like a novel, not a text book. worth the money IMHO

One of the things that amused / amazed me was that when Keys was trying to gather his data for his diet-heart hypothesis, the British cardiologists were very anti his ideas. Try to tell most modern cardiologist that fat won't harm you ... :devil:

Round and round and round we go.

I think it's fair to say that anyone reading Time magazine for diet advice will be truly confused by now.

post-27777-0-53776800-1403094916_thumb.jpg

I suppose they are consistent ... they keep changing their tune :)

Noakes agrees with you on this. I'm a Coke Light addict, so this issue has interested me. How can zero calories make you fat? I don't get this. Please shed some light on this.

I have googled this extensively.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the (some?) artificial sweeteners cause an insulin response - which as mentioned before, is something you are trying to avoid. The reason given (if I remember right) was that the structure of the artificial sweetner concerned was not a whole lot different to sugar - s'pose the body may not be able to tell the difference. But am open to correction on this.

I like Mark Sisson has a very balanced approach to bulletproof coffee. Heard a recent interview with him ... When asked if he used it, his answers went something like this:

"I prefer to eat my calories than drink them"

"I like my coffee to taste like coffee, not like coconut or butter"

"It's a great short term strategy for weight loss or hunger suppression"

Also, the recipe in the article refers to 2 tablespoons MCT and 2 tablespoons butter ... not sure I could stomach that amount in one sitting. I usually make mine with 2 teaspoon of butter, coconut and cream and around 200ml coffee and sometimes a bit gets left behind.

Each to their own I suppose.

I forgot what he called it but he had his own variation of BP Coffee due to the lack of any nutritional content. So his solution was to add egg yolk to it. It was posted about a year ago.

Found it, Primal coffee. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-egg-coffee/

Been on LCHF since Jan

Before i started LCHF

Triglycerides 1.3

HDL 1.1

LDL 4.2

Total 5.9

Last week

Triglycerides 0.9

HDL 1.5

LDL 5.9

Total 8.1

Should i be concerned or is it normal.

Been on LCHF since Jan

Before i started LCHF

Triglycerides 1.3

HDL 1.1

LDL 4.2

Total 5.9

Last week

Triglycerides 0.9

HDL 1.5

LDL 5.9

Total 8.1

The answer depends entirely on whether you buy the "Elevated LDL = CHD (Coronary Heart Disease) theory, or more simply, "High Cholesterol = Death By Heart Disease".

For some of us, these numbers might be alarming. For others, like myself, NO they are NOT. Fairly normal ITO the Banting eating pattern. And I'll qualify my statement by saying I have pretty extensive personal experience with CHD.

Important to note is this: Your triglycerides are down. Your HDL (supposedly "good" cholesterol) is up. Your LDL is elevated and the ratio total is up.

Modern research tells us that in fact these are by and large positive results. The only issue (from a traditionalist, HCLF standpoint) is elevated LDL and total ratio. Lower tri's is massively important from a CHD POV, as is elevated HDL. The issue with LDL: is that the latest research tells us that we need to distinguish LDL particle size/density when looking at LDL effects on CHD. So not all LDL is "bad". Only the small/dense LDL particles are associated with deteriorating CHD.

So, blah, blah over - good numbers there sonny!! Normal response for this type of eating lifestyle. BTW have you experienced any weight loss/gain? Any other side effects from the LCHF that might explain you continuing with it?

After many years battling with/managing CHD I did my homework, went LCHF and vowed to never check my cholesterol ever again.

Been on LCHF since Jan

Before i started LCHF

Triglycerides 1.3

HDL 1.1

LDL 4.2

Total 5.9

Last week

Triglycerides 0.9

HDL 1.5

LDL 5.9

Total 8.1

I'm not going to comment on if it is good or not but I remember reading on a forum at some point that a person first experienced a spike but at a later stage their numbers were more sedate.

What did the doctor have to say?

Thanks Fitter. My energy levels dropped the first 3 to 4 months but it is back at where it was before i started LCHF lifestyle. Doctor wants me to take some medication, but i am not going that route.

Been on LCHF since Jan

Before i started LCHF

Triglycerides 1.3

HDL 1.1

LDL 4.2

Total 5.9

Last week

Triglycerides 0.9

HDL 1.5

LDL 5.9

Total 8.1

The answer depends entirely on whether you buy the "Elevated LDL = CHD (Coronary Heart Disease) theory, or more simply, "High Cholesterol = Death By Heart Disease".

For some of us, these numbers might be alarming. For others, like myself, NO they are NOT. Fairly normal ITO the Banting eating pattern. And I'll qualify my statement by saying I have pretty extensive personal experience with CHD.

Important to note is this: Your triglycerides are down. Your HDL (supposedly "good" cholesterol) is up. Your LDL is elevated and the ratio total is up.

Modern research tells us that in fact these are by and large positive results. The only issue (from a traditionalist, HCLF standpoint) is elevated LDL and total ratio. Lower tri's is massively important from a CHD POV, as is elevated HDL. The issue with LDL: is that the latest research tells us that we need to distinguish LDL particle size/density when looking at LDL effects on CHD. So not all LDL is "bad". Only the small/dense LDL particles are associated with deteriorating CHD.

So, blah, blah over - good numbers there sonny!! Normal response for this type of eating lifestyle. BTW have you experienced any weight loss/gain? Any other side effects from the LCHF that might explain you continuing with it?

After many years battling with/managing CHD I did my homework, went LCHF and vowed to never check my cholesterol ever again.

what he said :wacko: