LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Grain fed beef vs. grass fed beef...

A quick search online reveals it's actually a grey area, it seems.

Firstly, here's a good article that says: "There's no difference between the two".

And then the opposing view (equally well argued): "Yes, there actually is a big difference between grass- and grain-fed beef".

Clear as mud? Yes, I think so too.

And here's Chris Kresser again (who gave us the above article in support of grain fed beef). Here he is confirming that grass-fed beef is still superior to grain-fed beef.

Again, not because one has higher levels of omega 6 PUFAs than the other (they don't differ), but for other reasons.

My takeaway is that if you're on a budget, grain-fed beef is still fine. But if you can afford it, stick to grass-fed beef.

Either way, you still need to moderate your intake of chicken and pork fat.

Edited by tombeej

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Moral of the story: eat lots of beef and lamb/mutton fat. As much as you like.

Interesting. Bottom line is we're still figuring this stuff out as we go along.

Dunno if you guys listen to the Ask Prod Noakes podcast but I went through a couple on the way to work this morning. Apparently margarine was kicked off by Messrs Proctor and Gamble who were candle manufacturers. They hydrogenated vegetable oils to produce solid fat for candles. Then in 1912 along came electricity and away went the candle market. So what did they do? "Hey let's use this hydrogenation technology and sell it as food. We'll call it Crisco and say that it is healthier than butter and lard." And there you go. Proctor&Gamble is born and our diet begins to be shot to hell.

Interesting. Bottom line is we're still figuring this stuff out as we go along.

Dunno if you guys listen to the Ask Prod Noakes podcast but I went through a couple on the way to work this morning. Apparently margarine was kicked off by Messrs Proctor and Gamble who were candle manufacturers. They hydrogenated vegetable oils to produce solid fat for candles. Then in 1912 along came electricity and away went the candle market. So what did they do? "Hey let's use this hydrogenation technology and sell it as food. We'll call it Crisco and say that it is healthier than butter and lard." And there you go. Proctor&Gamble is born and our diet begins to be shot to hell.

post-22004-0-16096500-1405491535_thumb.jpg

hi, so I bought a tub of coconut oil from dischem, how do I use it. do you add it to food, use it for cooking, do you first melt it? please help.

You can cook with it. I'm not fond of the flavour when it's used like that though. I add it to my carb free muesli. Lovely in that.

It might sound gross but I just chew it straight. A tablespoon at a time. When I have a hunger that won't go away I eat a tablespoon of it and chase it down with 500ml of water with a little unsweetened lemon juice. Takes hunger pangs away.

Ja, I also just take a tablespoon and scoop out a mouthful. Chased with a mouthful of cream sometimes.

Or into my morning coffee, but it doesn't look good that way because it's lighter than water so all sits on top once melted.

The other way I like to eat it is to make homemade macadamia nut butter with it.

I like coconut oil in my morning rooibos tea. Also great as a spread with a sprinkling of cinnamon. Try it on the seed crackers.

Epic fail of the day - Americano from vida with Cream.... I don't think its dairy cream :'(

Highlight of my day: Coconut bread... With marscapone :wub:

Epic fail of the day - Americano from vida with Cream.... I don't think its dairy cream :'(

Some Vidas use real cream. But I've also had the misfortune of the vegetable oil version. Good coffee ruined with margarine taste! :(

I am experimenting with dried berries, nuts, banana and droewors.The gels and sugary sweet stuff gives me stomach cramps on long rides (4 to 5 hours)

BTW I am staring a month of extreme low carb-ing and no boozing from tonight onward (Had to finish some perishable fruits for lunch). I have been lesser carb diet for a while and managed to lose 12kg in 3 months. Its now another 3 months down the line and I have stagnated at 92kg / 93kg. My aim is to go from 92kg to 85kg in this month. I will start a full log of activity and food consumed(with recipe) and daily weight results. If it worked I'll share if it does not I'll ask your advice.

Cool. Good luck with the lo-carbing!

Just talking from my experience, maybe skip the dried fruit and bananas. Same effect on your body as the gels. And be carefull with the nuts. Hidden carbs deluxe.

In place of the Splenda I used 50g of xylitol.

Looks Lekker, I cant believe that I, Mr Bread muncher has not eaten a single slice of bread in 3 months

It's a bit cakey but nice for a treat. I use another recipe for normal bread ( has been posted here) cos it's convenient for making packed lunches and as a pre ride snack with some Mac butter

Ja, I also just take a tablespoon and scoop out a mouthful. Chased with a mouthful of cream sometimes.

Or into my morning coffee, but it doesn't look good that way because it's lighter than water so all sits on top once melted.

The other way I like to eat it is to make homemade macadamia nut butter with it.

Mix the coconut oil and coffee with a whisk. Makes a nice foam on top, almost like cappuccino. Mix in some butter and cream, even better!

Mix the coconut oil and coffee with a whisk. Makes a nice foam on top, almost like cappuccino. Mix in some butter and cream, even better!

:thumbup: