LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Thanks for replying.

I think what I did wrong the first time around was eating to much protein. I now eat only two meals a day- brunch and dinner. In between I'll have a light snack, usually yogurt with fruit or some mac nuts with a fruit.

Is one fruit a day enough low carb or can I increase it to 2?

Currently I'm doing fine. I'm not really hungry and aren't really tired through the day. It is just the training that I can't do properly now.

the other thing is, I'm very constipated. Will this normalise as well over time?

Constipation:  yes, quite a few people experience this.  If you don't already, have a strong coffee or two in the morning.  Caffeine is a mild laxative.  If you already drink strong coffee, try adding some coconut oil to the coffee.  This helps with adding to your daily fat content as well as 'loosening' things up a bit.  Takes a few days but does the trick...

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly off topic:  for the regulars on this thread, anyone know where HTONE is?

Been wondering the same thing.

I appreciate all the feedback guys. Thanks.

I already start the day with a nice bulletproof coffee (butter and coconut oil added).

A friend suggest to also add more leafy greens, but that things will normalise eventually.

we will see how it goes.

Leafy greens are great. Spinach and eggs for breakfast has become a staple. Salad with lots of olive oil is also a standard supper for us now. Also a big help with digestion.

In my limited experience it is easy when tackling this diet to ignore or pay little attention to the component of the diet that says eat vegetables. The fats make you feel quite satisfied and supply all the energy requirements so the absence of fibre and micronutrient rich vegetables is not really noticed. It is not a fault of the diet but is frequently a fault in the way the diet is implemented.

I obviously don't mean things like potato but vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, spinach, lettuce, green peppers, cucumber and so on. Eat lots of that stuff. It's great with butter.

Leafy greens are great. Spinach and eggs for breakfast has become a staple. Salad with lots of olive oil is also a standard supper for us now. Also a big help with digestion.

In my limited experience it is easy when tackling this diet to ignore or pay little attention to the component of the diet that says eat vegetables. The fats make you feel quite satisfied and supply all the energy requirements so the absence of fibre and micronutrient rich vegetables is not really noticed. It is not a fault of the diet but is frequently a fault in the way the diet is implemented.

I obviously don't mean things like potato but vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, spinach, lettuce, green peppers, cucumber and so on. Eat lots of that stuff. It's great with butter.

I should really start with this, properly... Every time I get derailed within a week either because my lightie doesn't finish his dinner, or or or. Too many ifs and buts. 

Enough now. 

Had my first tame bulletproof coffee this morning, albeit just with one Tbsp butter and no coconut oil. Tasted good. Will slowly wean myself onto it - must admit that the first time I tried it was a bit too much, so didn't carry on with it. 

Struggled with plumbing for a while but since taking some coconut oil - 1st thing on empty stomach in the morning had me sorted out. also don't forget to take lots of fluids!!

Agree...had to learn the hard way to incorporate those leafy greens and veggies.  Add some coconut oil in the morning and the plumbing works great

I should really start with this, properly... Every time I get derailed within a week either because my lightie doesn't finish his dinner, or or or. Too many ifs and buts. 

Enough now. 

Had my first tame bulletproof coffee this morning, albeit just with one Tbsp butter and no coconut oil. Tasted good. Will slowly wean myself onto it - must admit that the first time I tried it was a bit too much, so didn't carry on with it. 

First order of the day (and first time I've felt hungry since the bulletproof this morning) and it's Lunch. 1/2 an avo and some slices of smoked chicken breast. 

I could get used to this.

Struggled with plumbing for a while but since taking some coconut oil - 1st thing on empty stomach in the morning had me sorted out. also don't forget to take lots of fluids!!

Please help! How do you take the coconut oil? Just clean? one teaspoon/ tablespoon? Do you melt it first? Doesn't it taste awkward?

I do take a nice strong Bulletproof coffee first thing in the morning with butter and oil. Also started yesterday with the fat bombs.

This constipation is really killing me and not even Epsom salt seems to do the trick.

After loosing 5kg last week, I gained 0.6 Kg this week so far and I'm not cheating. It's like we say in Afrikaans" 'n paar etes voor en 'n paar K@kke agter"

After weighing this morning the spirit are a bit down but I'm still highly motivated to push through.

Please help! How do you take the coconut oil? Just clean? one teaspoon/ tablespoon? Do you melt it first? Doesn't it taste awkward?

I do take a nice strong Bulletproof coffee first thing in the morning with butter and oil. Also started yesterday with the fat bombs.

This constipation is really killing me and not even Epsom salt seems to do the trick.

After loosing 5kg last week, I gained 0.6 Kg this week so far and I'm not cheating. It's like we say in Afrikaans" 'n paar etes voor en 'n paar K@kke agter"

After weighing this morning the spirit are a bit down but I'm still highly motivated to push through.

Bulletproof coffee is a good start. If you feel you need more, it's delicious right off the spoon.

Otherwise, if you're really battling, I've seen recommendations of just plain old psyllium husks mixed with water.

I found the bulletproof coffee too much for me to handle, tbh. It triggered refux and quite a distasteful gagging reflex. What I've started to do is put a small amount of plain (salted) butter into my coffee, which I will increase over time. At the moment it's a tablespoon, but I'll start increasing from next week.

WRT the oil - you can start off by adding it to your dishes bit by bit. It melts very easily in the pan, and can be used with or in place of butter. 

As for the weight gain - sometimes we have it, sometimes we don't. In any given day we can fluctuate up to 2kg depending on our condition - you may be coming down with a bit of flu or something, which makes your body retain liquids. Just keep at it, and remember to exercise! And drink lots and lots of water!

i dont do the BPC in the morning as it just did not work for me (and i do not like to mix my coffee with other stuff). I melt the CO down and use it in my fat shake in the morning, the fatshake is a dairy based thing though and probibly not what you want to use if you want to loose some weight fast.  That said, i did loose something like 7-8kg while drinking the fat shake every morning

Edit:  if you feel you need to you can add 1-2 teaspoons of psyllium husk as well

Edited by Oxter

So, flew from PE to JHB on Friday. Didn't manage to eat as well as I always do when away and carbs sky high. Wine, albeit just a glass or 2, every night for 3 nights in a row. Too little water.

Result? Constipated, headaches, woozy head, fat tummy, dimpled thighs (ok maybe that's in my head)... But all round feeling like absolute hell.

Moral of the story : not worth giving in even for 2 days.

So irritated

Seeing as there are many of you guys on this diet or lifestyle or whatever you call it, I came across this website. (you are braver than me to ditch pasta and fruit  ;)

http://www.thelunchbox.me/

I've signed up for the kiddies one, as yes I am one of those mothers that forgets to buy lunchbox stuff, and my poor kids have to go to school with a sarmie, bottle of water and a fruit, so I reckon this may help me and see that my kids get some other wholesome treats.

I see they do a banting lunchbox as well if any of you are interested.

Edited by Gen