LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

hi, sorry if its in previous threats, but...

What is the easiest way to include more fat in ones diet?

I find it easy to cut the carbs and up some protein but is there easier way to get more "good" fat in?

I use "fat bombs" when I know I am running on the low side for fat on a day

Quick and easy to make. keep them in the fridge and use when needed  

http://lowcarbediem.com/fat-bombs-recipes-atkins-ketosis/

http://lowcarbhighfatrecipes.com/top-10-recipes-for-coconut-oil-fat-bombs/

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a calorie counter (Calorie Counter Pro mynetdiary.com) app extremely useful to get an in-depth grip on macro nutrients (Fat, Protein and Carbs). Try it for a week. You may be getting in more than enough of everything. My daily fats come from eggs, bacon, cheeses, oil and Avo oil, MCT oil, butter, Almonds, cream (about 1L a week) and the most importantly BODY FAT which I had a lot of a year ago. Supplies seem to be gone now :-)

Oh and a lil bit on the different types of fat;

All fats are good! A bit hard to comprehend at first but true if used correctly. The thing to be aware of is how our bodies break them down fats and the time frame associated.

Medium chain triglycerides have been discussed "roughly" above.

Long chain triglycerides (saturated and unsaturated fats) without boring you with detail and put simply

Saturated fats do not have a chemical bond available for an enzyme to easily attach and separated the chain of energy packets. Enzymes do eventually but it takes longer and is harder to break down (which causes an inflammatory response if its the only fat type eaten but does force the body to consume even more of its own fat stores) Not recommended to only eat this type of fat due to the stress response but still better than carbs!!!!!!!!!

Unsaturated fats have a chemical bond (mono) available or multiple bonds (poly) available for enzymes to attach and separate to get to the energy packets.

These processes of getting to the energy packets can be understood better by a time frame.

Saturated fats: Extremely long

Unsaturated fat (mono): Very long

Unsaturated fat (poly): Long

Medium chain triglycerides: Medium to short

Logically speaking you want all of them and by planning your energy requirements you can align the right mix of fats to sustain your needs.

Edited by Claudenova

• 3 months later...

Any reason why this thread has gone quite?

Back in 2013/14 I was banting as a Type 1 diabetic for 6 months. Lost 7 kg, was using less insulin (my cycle works in reverse, i.e. would inject less for almost-zero carbs), and LDL, HDL and Trigs were all at improved values. Kidney function was normal.

Fast forward to 2017, and I still avoid refined carbs (as any person, but especially diabetics, should) but enjoy bread, rice, potatoes and fruit. And I'm now 10 kg heavier. 

Maybe time to cut out the carbs completely again.   

Any reason why this thread has gone quite?

Back in 2013/14 I was banting as a Type 1 diabetic for 6 months. Lost 7 kg, was using less insulin (my cycle works in reverse, i.e. would inject less for almost-zero carbs), and LDL, HDL and Trigs were all at improved values. Kidney function was normal.

Fast forward to 2017, and I still avoid refined carbs (as any person, but especially diabetics, should) but enjoy bread, rice, potatoes and fruit. And I'm now 10 kg heavier. 

Maybe time to cut out the carbs completely again.   

Holiday season...people get busy and lose their way diet wise, im busy banting again now....not for weight loss but seriously helps with sinus & hayfever problems....many skeptics out there and i believe if you racing then its not the diet for you but cant keep loading my body with all these hayfever pills every day....wheat is my problem, cut out bread for three days and i can stop using hayfever tabs...good luck :clap:

Why is coffee on the orange list according to new book release? Did i miss something

No idea, but I'm ignoring that.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Why is coffee on the orange list according to new book release? Did i miss something

Probably because too much coffee can cause adrenal fatigue which slows weight loss. Sort of the same as the argument for limiting alcohol - it affects some folk worse than others.

How much is "too much"? This also cause for debate and lots of different opinions out there.

It seems that caffeine messes with adenosine receptors and while this link talks to the interaction between nerves/adenosine/caffeine and the neural system, caffeine may have some other interaction elsewhere in the body in relation to fat burning. I'm no expert, so just a thought.

This whole LCHF thing works in different ways for different people. One needs to work out how it works best for oneself. Jeepers, I sound like the queen...  :ph34r:

Giving up sugar and carbs was easy. Coffee, ain't gonna happen. No matter what. Ever. I'd rather be fat.

+1 my friend!

Giving up sugar and carbs was easy. Coffee, ain't gonna happen. No matter what. Ever. I'd rather be fat.

+1000 Absolute deal breaker.

And it wouldn't matter that I was fat because I would have killed everyone by 10am day 1.

I live by the BDF cycling pledge. One day. Every day. #9Rules

• 1 month later...

this thread has been dead for a while.

I need some info. I need to get hold of a more 'enlightened' GP in Cape Town (preferably Blouberg area). I take medication for gout and need to refill my prespcription, but my GP keeps harping on about cholesterol even advising me to cut out butter for margerine. I'm not fully into LCHF but limit carbs to an absolute minimum, only really having them before or during a hard ride.

this thread has been dead for a while.

I need some info. I need to get hold of a more 'enlightened' GP in Cape Town (preferably Blouberg area). I take medication for gout and need to refill my prespcription, but my GP keeps harping on about cholesterol even advising me to cut out butter for margerine. I'm not fully into LCHF but limit carbs to an absolute minimum, only really having them before or during a hard ride.

WTF?! 

So it's safe to assume you're on LCHP skip the fat unless you want it. AKA Keto. 

WTF?! 

So it's safe to assume you're on LCHP skip the fat unless you want it. AKA Keto. 

Keto is eating to get into ketosis. High protein will kick you out of ketosis pretty sharpish because of gluconeogenesis of the protein. Protein is metabolised into glycogen. The more protein, the more glycogen. more glycogen pushes you out of ketosis.

If you want to do keto, you HAVE to limit the carbs (severely) and limit the protein. This leaves fat as the only macro left to tuck into. Luckily, that means for tastiness. 

~100g/d protein is plenty. Keeping in mind that beef isn't 100% protein. In fact, any animal protein will contain the animal's glycogen too, so if you're being picky, keep that in mind.

And remember that there is no link between cholesterol and CVD.

Keto is eating to get into ketosis. High protein will kick you out of ketosis pretty sharpish because of gluconeogenesis of the protein. Protein is metabolised into glycogen. The more protein, the more glycogen. more glycogen pushes you out of ketosis.

If you want to do keto, you HAVE to limit the carbs (severely) and limit the protein. This leaves fat as the only macro left to tuck into. Luckily, that means for tastiness. 

~100g/d protein is plenty. Keeping in mind that beef isn't 100% protein. In fact, any animal protein will contain the animal's glycogen too, so if you're being picky, keep that in mind.

And remember that there is no link between cholesterol and CVD.

Nope. All you need for keto is limited carbohydrates. Gluconeogenesis is overblown, from what I've read. Also, you need protein to ensure that your LBM doesn't deteriorate. The ratio of protein to LBM varies depending on who you speak to and which calculator you use...

The HF portion is for those people who don't have a lot of HF in them themselves. Fat can either be burnt from deitary intake, or from reserves. At the end of it all, total calories ingested do still matter. 

I'd point you to ketogains.com as a source for this. From there, several other sources are listed...

As for the rest, 100% agreed. You MUST limit the carbs in order to stay in ketosis. And no link between CVD and cholestorol. 

But there are also several different "versions" of keto. Some SWEAR by adding as much fat as possible, some just say that as long as your carbs are lower than a certain level you will remain in ketosis. 

Depends on your goals, after all. And it depends on the person. Experiment. Record. Adapt. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew