LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

I need some of your help here:

I know LCHF is for me and I was a strict LCHF’er for 3 years until life got in the way (son being born, new job, etc) and I slipped for a year or so. I gained a lot of weight (lots and lots and lots).

I have been strict LCHF now again for about 3 months. I am in full Keto (deep purple) and I feel the energy etc like I had when I started initially (5 years ago).

I have read plenty on the subject, but I am no fundy.

The problem I have is the weight I gained. My weight 3 years ago was perfect at about 77kg’s to 81kg’s. I felt great on the bike and smashed some proper climbs. During the last couple of years I moved up to about 96/97kg’s. Since I started again I have actually increased in weight and tipped the scale at just over 100kg’s this morning (1.83m tall). Seeing that I neglected the cycling along with LCHF, I am still trying to gain fitness so I spin about 5 times a week. Then I also do Crossfit classes 3 times a week. My Fat/Protein/Carb ration is at 78/14/8 for the last couple of weeks (combined as per my fitnesspal).

Whats going on? I feel better! I have more energy, sleep better, no more headaches (after the initial keto flu) but the weight is increasing. It most certainly cant be muscle gain as I cant really see how you can gain that much muscle mass with Crossfit is such a short time. Anyone have similar problems getting going again cause I am really concerned that something else is wrong….

Are you not just 'bloating' from the diet change. I'm sure that's a normal response?

Especially if you add in so much exercise. Crossfit too can shock the body.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you not just 'bloating' from the diet change. I'm sure that's a normal response?

Especially if you add in so much exercise. Crossfit too can shock the body.

I don't think so cause the clothes are starting to fit better (work shirt buttons aren't pulling so much around the boep anymore :ph34r:). I still cant fit into all the clothes but it get easier to tie the shoe laces if you know hat I mean.

I definitely feel less bloated but maybe it can be in other parts of the body... I just don't know!

Edited by Grondpad

I know LCHF is for me and I was a strict LCHF’er for 3 years until life got in the way (son being born, new job, etc) and I slipped for a year or so. I gained a lot of weight (lots and lots and lots).

I have been strict LCHF now again for about 3 months. I am in full Keto (deep purple) and I feel the energy etc like I had when I started initially (5 years ago).

The problem I have is the weight I gained. My weight 3 years ago was perfect at about 77kg’s to 81kg’s. I felt great on the bike and smashed some proper climbs. During the last couple of years I moved up to about 96/97kg’s. Since I started again I have actually increased in weight and tipped the scale at just over 100kg’s this morning (1.83m tall). Seeing that I neglected the cycling along with LCHF, I am still trying to gain fitness so I spin about 5 times a week. Then I also do Crossfit classes 3 times a week. My Fat/Protein/Carb ration is at 78/14/8 for the last couple of weeks (combined as per my fitnesspal).

Whats going on? I feel better! I have more energy, sleep better, no more headaches (after the initial keto flu) but the weight is increasing. It most certainly cant be muscle gain as I cant really see how you can gain that much muscle mass with Crossfit is such a short time. Anyone have similar problems getting going again cause I am really concerned that something else is wrong….

You are probably gaining muscle and losing fat. Replace the scale with a tape measure.

Could be your fat intake is too high? If you are fat adapted excess fat intake will store.

If not the case, perhaps try intermittent fasting. One or two days a week - 18-24 hour fast.

Do share if you work out a solution.

Could be your fat intake is too high? If you are fat adapted excess fat intake will store.

That may be but the calories are still in a deficit w.r.t intake and calculated target.

W.r.t fasting, that might be a solution. I have not given that a shot in the last 3 months. Not a bad idea at all just to maybe kickstart and improve the fat adaption.... Thanks for the idea

One thing I've realised is that falling off the wagon for a spell (also months) is that when getting back on, I react differently to the way of eating to what I did before ie, things are different the second/third time around.

My advice - stick to it and note when you have a cheat day. Keep a note fo how you feel in your body and mind as well as what the numbers (scale, keto, BG etc) say and how all that differs on the off days. It takes time for your body to normalise and adjust fully. Someone else mentioned IF and it's a good option, not to mention time/cost saving

One thing I've realised is that falling off the wagon for a spell (also months) is that when getting back on, I react differently to the way of eating to what I did before ie, things are different the second/third time around.

Do you think/find this might be due to age? When I first started I was about 34. Now almost hitting 40. Mom always said "daai vet klou na 40 :oops: ". I searched for an article on it but I think due to the short period that LCHF has become better understood not much research has been done on it w.r.t age.

Do you think/find this might be due to age? When I first started I was about 34. Now almost hitting 40. Mom always said "daai vet klou na 40 :oops: ". I searched for an article on it but I think due to the short period that LCHF has become better understood not much research has been done on it w.r.t age.

It could be that. I wouldn't be surprised if it was. The time between my attempts wasn't as long as that, but it was a very different experience - eg fasting became impossible to complete. But, it might also be a mental thing as expectation are different. Who knows, but it sure is interesting. One thing I do know is that the effort is worth it for me

Do you think/find this might be due to age? When I first started I was about 34. Now almost hitting 40. Mom always said "daai vet klou na 40 :oops: ". I searched for an article on it but I think due to the short period that LCHF has become better understood not much research has been done on it w.r.t age.

I wouldn't think so. Also was fully LC then slipped off the wagon. Back on kinda, now and have lost weight and back at 75 to 77kg, and I'm 55 now.

I have a theory for you ... but can't prove it :). so please take with a pinch of salt.

I suspect that you are not burning fat because you have one of 2 problems:

1. Your fat intake is too high and your body is burning fat but it's getting plenty from diet so not needing to burn the spare tyre. Or more likely ...

2. You are not burning fat because you are exercising at too high an intensity. Your exercise is anaerobic and your body can't burn fat at that intensity.  Your body uses fat during aerobic exercise and switches to carbs when anaerobic.

Rather try much lower intensity exercise for a week or two and see if that helps. By lower, I mean keep your heart rate just below 180-age. It's a real pain at first, but worth the effort.

For more info google MAF or Phil Mafetone. Also check ReR testing.

Looking for a LCHF experienced medical professional to consult with and help analyze bloods done 2 weeks ago. LCHF for 5 years with an 80% shift to carnivore over last 8 months.

Any ideas? I am in PE so will probably need to consult via telephone & email & Skype. If Cape Town or JHB based will go there if needed.

• 4 months later...

Been a while since anyone posted. Still trying. I've lost 10kg since May 2018, feeling much better, but beer is my downfall.

Plenty demonizing of red meat using poor methodology. Like this one.

• 1 month later...

Hey Fellow LCHF’s

A while ago I posted about me really training hard and following LCHF but not loosing weight, so just want to share the progress.

I think I found the problem. BOOZE. Even just a little bit which is strange because I can tolerate a fair bit of carbs (yes I know it’s not the same) but still I did not think it would have such a big impact. During my previous posting I has like 2 whiskeys or red wine a day. The last two months I have been in Dubai and the only thing to have changed was that I could not get any alcohol here. And the results are amazing. I have dropped 12kg’s in 70 days. Yes, I do run on a deficit calorie intake but not huge margins. I still cut out all carbs and those I get is the “accidental” one from normal meals during the day. I must admit that the fat intake is varying between 60 & 70 % so not the ideal 80% but I am not low on energy so I think its OK till I go back to SA. Then I can increase again with the normal cream and coconut oils shake in the mornings.

I have also replaced my evening meal with a protein shake. I find this does wonders for filling the whole in the evenings, quick and cheap (relatively speaking)

Now I have a question to those that monitor calories intake. As I said before, I do a fair bit of weight training in the gym and during crossfit. I have not cycled much the last couple of months (the bike is back in SA). I am now on 89kg’s down from 101kg’s. I found that on about 83kg’s I feel great on the bike and also in general. For optimal muscle building I am aiming for 103g of protein a day based on LBM. To keep the 80%F, 15%P, 5%C ration, that equates to 235g F, 100g, P, 34g C. I run a bit higher carbs as I found below 20 I don’t feel great (must be all in the mind with that small amount) bit I am still in Ketosis.

All this adds to 2650 Calories. What your opinion on this figure? To high, to low..? The reason I am asking is because as soon as I get home in late June I should be about 83/85kg’s and then I want to stop losing weight and rather focus more on maintenance. What Calories a day do you guys aim for? I know the old school of thought was to not worry about calories and eat when hungry but the latest research shows it does matter and I have found this to be true during my own little “what works for me” test…

What calories do you guys aim for?

Just as a side note: I was LCHF full-on for about 3 years during period 2012 to 2015. Then fell of the wagon with work and life. Now back on for about 8 months. I am more than ever convinced of how good LCHF is (for me at least). For those wanting to try it, and those that fell of and want to start again, you have my support. During my first stint everything went great and I can kick myself for not sticking to it. The last 8 months were just great but I have found ones does need some fine tweaking. I do do cheat days. I don’t restrict myself from the pleasures when going out with friend and braais (f*^%ck am I looking forward to a proper braai when I am back). I tend to jump back into ketosis in 2 or 3days. So one does not miss out on anything as all!

There is no simple answer. How many cal do you burn during exercise?

As a +/- on both a weekday training ride and a grossfit session, I am looking at about 400 to 600. On a LSD ride it can vary between 600 & 1200 depending on how "friendly the competition" is .... But a fair estimate or avg would be say 800

As a +/- on both a weekday training ride and a grossfit session, I am looking at about 400 to 600. On a LSD ride it can vary between 600 & 1200 depending on how "friendly the competition" is .... But a fair estimate or avg would be say 800

I would be aiming for a slightly higher cal intake once on target. Probably 150 odd higher than your estimate. You could probably lift your protein a bit more as well (but that would mess up your targets again).