To the Roadie on the West Coast Road Last night

Hairy

BS! I NEVER condoned the guys stupidity, I agreed with guys it was dumb. I was merely saying that he has the right to ignore advice. Unless you have taken every piece of advice you have ever received, your argument holds no value.

The choice of words used was the ENTIRE reason I got involved in the thread. I have been saying the whole time, BE A GOOD GUY, JUST DONT BE A DOUCHE ABOUT IT. Is that clear enough for you? Sheez and they troll sprayed me!

As much as I understand why Hairy's original comments might, on a bad day, be misconstrued, if someone, by his idiocy, is endangering the life of other road users, he DOES not have the right to ignore the advice. He has an OBLIGATION to other road users to use the road responsibly, and in not heeding that obligation, he cedes all rights. That is at the center of most jurisprudence involving the "reasonable man" concept.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:excl: I think it is flippen stupid not to take Hairy's advice and anyone who disagrees with that is also flippen stupid. :excl:

Sorry, did my choice of words offend anyone?

Exactly, TB.

And it is that same "I am more important than you" attitude that has so ruined the current population, and resulted int he complete lack of common sense in vast swathes of road users.

Exactly, TB.

And it is that same "I am more important than you" attitude that has so ruined the current population, and resulted int he complete lack of common sense in vast swathes of road users.

Are you sure you're only talking about "road users"? :ph34r:

Well then why not say that in the frikkin first place! Say his words were a bit strong, instead of coming in all ArchedBackChinOut and saying he's acting like a douche and only presenting one side of the story, then getting abrasive when people take you on as a perceived sympathiser with the roadie guy?

Way to get a point across.

I hear you, but:

He was being a bit douchey, and we do only have one side of the story on the Forum. So please excuse me for defending my stance, I do not mean for it come across as abrasive.

@Pain or Shine, no not condoning anything, merely saying that if "dumb cyclist on Coast Road Lastnight" does not take your advice, shrug it off. Just like I'm shrugging off your tone.

Edited by ArchedBackChinOut

Are you sure you're only talking about "road users"? :ph34r:

Oh, no. It was just pertinent considering the title and content of the thread.

But (as we've seen previously on other threads) it has also impacted peoples' ability to READ, Digest information, form a reliable opinion based on sound reasoning and accept that they may, in some point in their lives, be WRONG. :eek:

But (as we've seen previously on other threads) it has also impacted peoples' ability to READ, Digest information, form a reliable opinion based on sound reasoning and accept that they may, in some point in their lives, be WRONG. :eek:

I do not think anybody has ever been wrong on the Hub before.

I hear you, but:

He was being a bit douchey, and we do only have one side of the story on the Forum. So please excuse me for defending my stance, I do not mean for it come across as abrasive.

@Pain or Shine, no not condoning anything, merely saying that if "dumb cyclist on Coast Road Lastnight" does not take your advice, shrug it off.

That last one I STRONGLY disagree with. If I as a reasonable person ignore him in future occurrences of not using a light, I am not carrying out my moral obligation of making my, and other road users, lives more safe.

Likewise for a repeat traffic light offender. And a thief. And any number of immoral activities which I KNOW are wrong. If I stop admonishing because he "doesn't want to take my advice" then I am no better than him in that instance.

Case in point - the state of the drivers on our roads was borne SOLELY out of that sort of attitude. People KNOW it's wrong, and yet they don't do anything about it anymore because "oh, I've told him once, he has a right not to accept my advice"

Bollocks.

Would you say that of a drunk driver? No? Yes? Same thing. Endangering other road users, and you have an OBLIGATION to make sure that you do as much as possible in order to ensure he doesn't drive. Take the keys away. Whatever.

The exact same thing can be said of a rider who does not use a light.

I do not think anybody has ever been wrong on the Hub before.

I've been wrong many times before, I just admit it. It feels good... truly. And I get the benefit of learning a "better way" or the correct information. It's called PERSONAL GROWTH

It's a funny thing, and strangely pertinent to the topic of this thread in some ways, that two weeks ago when the truck broke down by the Paddocks causing a monstrous traffic snafu, I for the first time understood what it would take to get me to get out my car, rip off my wooden leg and beat someone to death with it for being an absolute *&**(&^ who sits in the middle of an intersection while my light is green.

So I kinda get what Arch say about harassing some chop who may well need to be terminated. I only worry about the poor schmuck who doesn't see him as he comes around the corner and ploughs into him.

(I don't have a wooden leg... )

I think Archback is shrugging off everyone, not able to see the point that his point is irrelevant. You should take some advice and think carefully about what your point is.. "a bit douchy"

It's a funny thing, and strangely pertinent to the topic of this thread in some ways, that two weeks ago when the truck broke down by the Paddocks causing a monstrous traffic snafu, I for the first time understood what it would take to get me to get out my car, rip off my wooden leg and beat someone to death with it for being an absolute *&**(&^ who sits in the middle of an intersection while my light is green.

So I kinda get what Arch say about harassing some chop who may well need to be terminated. I only worry about the poor schmuck who doesn't see him as he comes around the corner and ploughs into him.

(I don't have a wooden leg... )

See my post above... :) But yes, I've had those moments before. But thinking of it, and actually DOING it, are 2 totally different things. If they were one and the same, there'd be a LOT more death row inmates and noiseless farts going round.

I think Archback is shrugging off everyone, not able to see the point that his point is irrelevant. You should take some advice and think carefully about what your point is.. "a bit douchy"

My point will be irrelevant to you until someone tells you to do something that you do not want to do.