To the road cyclist in Durbanville at 5am this morning....

Da Vinci

On the very Misty St Johns road....

Me thinks - no wait, I know you need a new tail light.... See I thought something was missing!

Admittedly your shirt had some white in it( read 2 small non reflective patches) and your buddy was dressed all in black with a maroon jacket but lucky for you I spotted his tail light on the LHS of the road a good 200m before I saw YOU. I guess cycling in the middle of the lane is good for self preservation, but what is even better is letting your buddy with the working light ride there cos the cars could actually see him before they were on top of him.

Not stopping at the red robot when visibility was limited, well personal choice and all...

Descending down the tree lined avenue, with you in the middle of the road, gesticulating widely while the bike swerved all over the road was great, gave me chance to slow down and wipe the sleep out of my eyes while wondering what tale you were regaling to your friend... How big was that fish again?....

Thanks for pulling over to let me pass, that extra 10 mins I took to do my make up before I left home was gonna cost me on my commute - next time I might have to do it in the car!

Hope you enjoyed the rest of the ride and that the other cars were as considerate and wake up as I was considering the hour.

Ag and I know light colors are soooo not winter but toe maar guys. Lets start a new fashion trend shall we?

Just putting it out there...

Please pass the salt now

Edited by Da Vinci

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the very Misty St Johns road....

Me thinks - no wait, I know you need a new tail light.... See I thought something was missing!

Admittedly your shirt had some white in it( read 2 small non reflective patches) and your buddy was dressed all in black with a maroon jacket but lucky for you I spotted his tail light on the LHS of the road a good 200m before I saw YOU. I guess cycling in the middle of the lane is good for self preservation, but what is even better is letting your buddy with the working light ride there cos the cars could actually see him before they were on top of him.

Not stopping at the red robot when visibility was limited, well personal choice and all...

Descending down the tree lined avenue, with you in the middle of the road, gesticulating widely while the bike swerved all over the road was great, gave me chance to slow down and wipe the sleep out of my eyes while wondering what tale you were regaling to your friend... How big was that fish again?....

Thanks for pulling over to let me pass, that extra 10 mins I took to do my make up before I left home was gonna cost me on my commute - next time I might have to do it in the car!

Hope you enjoyed the rest of the ride and that the other cars were as considerate and wake up as I was considering the hour.

Ag and I know light colors are soooo not winter but toe maar guys. Lets start a new fashion trend shall we?

Just putting it out there...

Please pass the salt now

:eek:, Just no common sense!!

Another love letter to a roadie.

It was very misty this morning. Real low viz.

Well actually Dale I didn't specify the bikes - I alluded to but this is a general to all cyclists, both riders types are guilty - they were on the tar ergo they were road cyclists this morning. Last time I was out early on my bicycle I nearly took out a mtber on the tar with no front light.

Edited by Da Vinci

Well actually Dale I didn't specify the bikes - I alluded to but this is a general to all cyclists, both riders types are guilty - they were on the tar ergo they were road cyclists this morning. Last time I was out early on my bicycle I nearly took out a mtber on the tar with no front light.

Oh, it could've been dirt roadies...

Doesn't matter.

Cycling with no lights in the darkened conditions of early morning winter is a form of suicide seeking behaviour.

Not good.

Well.....

I often train on Hans Strydom road in Pretoria. And being the main road leading in from Mamelodi to Pretoria you have a LOT of commuters heading out at 5am in the morning. Nice to see BUT....

almost none of them have lights on. Here and there.

I thought it would be a great initiative to get a couple of lights out there one morning and hand them out as they ride past. Will be very nice to see the masses visible!

Wish the school kids cycling to school would also have lights AND wear helmets! There are quite a few Primary School boys I see everyday jumping on and off the sidewalks with their Merida's , but NO HELMETS!!!! Surely if you can buy a 12 year old an expensive bike, you can afford a helmet!