Sailing

Witkop

Im a sailor! Did a 4 year round the world trip when I was 13 with my folks.

Also ex Dart 18 National champ. Top South African team at some of the world champs we went to. Here are some pics

vlcsnap-2012-02-17-14h28m02s16.png

vlcsnap-2012-02-17-14h28m13s124.png

FB_IMG_1555404288983_zpss9y3qtfv.jpg

FB_IMG_1555404264145_zpspiheg7mv.jpg

Yacht is in Trinidad at the moment. Folks go there once a year for a few months. Trying to get back there soon

rad!

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a sailor! Did a 4 year round the world trip when I was 13 with my folks.

Also ex Dart 18 National champ. Top South African team at some of the world champs we went to. Here are some pics

vlcsnap-2012-02-17-14h28m02s16.png

vlcsnap-2012-02-17-14h28m13s124.png

FB_IMG_1555404288983_zpss9y3qtfv.jpg

FB_IMG_1555404264145_zpspiheg7mv.jpg

Yacht is in Trinidad at the moment. Folks go there once a year for a few months. Trying to get back there soon

Pic 2 - Windward hull in deep.  Leewood must be deeper and main freed.  Did you go over.

Nice to see sail speed on the water.

Pic 2 - Windward hull in deep.  Leewood must be deeper and main freed.  Did you go over.

Nice to see sail speed on the water.

that's part2 of a pitchpole

Didnt Pitch pole. Have got that part pretty sorted. If you just stay in the same spot the bot stops dead and pops back out. Main out will make it worse. Here are some more random pics of us racing in EL and one or two gopro shots

FB_IMG_1555495984456_zps9xmc7syi.jpg

FB_IMG_1555495999390_zpstheuozrt.jpg

FB_IMG_1555495993016_zpsjhnmklxg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone following the SailGP? It's my kinda action ....

Where do I find it?

• 3 months later...

turn your volume off for this one

they've had a cold front to deal with, so lost days 1 and 3. 2 races planned for today

• 3 weeks later...

Ah ****, something followed me home again.

post-29544-0-36770900-1566803699_thumb.jpeg

post-29544-0-63146100-1566803698_thumb.jpeg

'Stole' this Hobie 16 off an old toppie near my home, been stored in his garage for ~20 years. It's old as dirt but surprisingly few nicks and dings on it. Sails are still crinkly, I ran twine over all the cables and not one loose strand anywhere. Will need a new gudgeon pin on the one rudder and a good polish. Would also love to replace the original white vinyl trampoline with a mesh one ... my burfday is coming up so I've started the hints :)

And so it begins ...

Replaced side stays, both rudder gudgeon pins, both rudder cams, most shackles and clevis pins as a precaution, all plate adjusters, all the ropes and put on a new mesh trampoline (dankie vroulief!)

Spent Friday afternoon and Saturday morning redoing everything and rigging the boat up. Went out for a quick sail and holy balls she's fast! Reactions like a go-cart. It's a whole new ballgame from my old Halcat.

And so it begins ...

Replaced side stays, both rudder gudgeon pins, both rudder cams, most shackles and clevis pins as a precaution, all plate adjusters, all the ropes and put on a new mesh trampoline (dankie vroulief!)

Spent Friday afternoon and Saturday morning redoing everything and rigging the boat up. Went out for a quick sail and holy balls she's fast! Reactions like a go-cart. It's a whole new ballgame from my old Halcat.

Pics!!!You and the crew been out on the trapeze yet?

Pics!!!You and the crew been out on the trapeze yet?

No pics, wife wasn't around with her trusty (actually, it was mine not long ago) camera. 

I seem to have, uhm, lost my 2 trapeze harnesses, somehow somewhere. I also want to re-do the trap wires and adjusters, there's only one per side and not greatest of conditions.